Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #1  

Tim_in_IA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota B7610HSD, Mahindra 6500 4WD, JD 440ic crawler, 2 560 farmalls.
It seems to be commonly mentioned that several Mahindra models are actually old International designs. This makes me wonder how much of the original design is in the modern Mahindra tractor. Since these designs came from the 50's-60's if I'm not mistaken, I was just curious how they were able to bring advancements such as 4wd and locking diffs etc to the old tractor. Also, is there such a thing as an International model to Mahindra model comparison? Or is it such a case where certain design features were just incoorporated into modern tractor plans?

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #2  
Tim, Mahindra was licensed to build Internationals, that is correct. I believe we only talking about the 2WD versions such as we know are the 444, 454, or similar units for the Indian market. Once they started building their own Indian units (00 series), it was designed by Mahindra from the ground up. You may be suprised to hear that in the mid '40s Mahindra was licensed to build Willys Jeeps. As a matter of fact, I understand they still build them with a diesel engine. I want one!! BobG in VA

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #3  
I have owned a 1964 IH B414. Mine was made in England, but I think this is the model that Mahindra started with. I used to have a heck of a time finding parts, and they were expensive! Never was able to match any parts up with Mahindras, although I was told more than once that some parts were still used today. I got the impression that some of the tractor body - sheet metal- was what they were referring to .

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #4  
At least in the smaller sizes, the Mahindras are either made in Japan or Korea. I believe the IH comparison only applies to foreign market units that are not available here, and then only in the 2wd configuration. The Japanese Mahindras are made by Mitsubishi and are essentially the same tractors as the Cub Cadet 7000 series machines. The Korean units are using Daedong engines, not sure who is doing the rest of the manufacturing. None of those are related to the old IH tractors.

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( in the mid '40s Mahindra was licensed to build Willys Jeeps. As a matter of fact, I understand they still build them with a diesel engine. I want one!! -BobG in VA )</font>

We saw jeeps everywhere when we visited India last November. I've attached a picture showing two Mahindra jeeps in service as as rural taxis. We also saw WWII-model jeeps used by the Indian Army that looked new and had the jeep can, canvas top and everything. Also a modernized Willys Wagon based on the CJ, which would be my favorite. I took pictures of several jeep models and also several Mahindra tractors.

I have these India trip pictures posted on a family website - PM me if you would like to see them there.

Back on topic - I also would like to know which Mahindra models are IH based, and if any are sold here. Mahindra is a big firm that has prospered since the British era. I was amazed to see in India Airlines website that it started as a Mahindra venture flying India's first airmail even before there was air passenger service there.

Mahindra notes that T. Rowe Price (mutual funds) bought a significant position in the firm in about 2001 and I intend to do some 'due diligence' to see if it might be worthwhile to follow that example. I expect them to be around for a long time.

Attachments

• 602986-ruraljeeps291IMG_1159.jpg
    602986-ruraljeeps291IMG_1159.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 2,201
   / Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #6  
Got this from another site...

In 1963, Mahindra formed a joint venture with International Harvester to manufacture tractors carrying the Mahindra nameplate for the Indian market. Armed with engineering, tooling and manufacturing know-how gained from this relationship, Mahindra a major auto manufacturer developed its first tractor, the B-275. This successor to International Harvester’s incredibly popular B-414 is still the basis for current Mahindra models.

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #7  
The old B-275 was actually out in the late fifties ending production in 1961 and the B-414 was started in the 62 and was shut down five years after. There was limited success with there sales and the lines were shut down in the europeon plants that assembled them. The 424 was the next chassis built to replace those tractors from the plant.

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras #8  
Again, by chance, I ran across another brief account of how Mahindra started to make tractors. I include it here, if anyone is interested.

</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Mahinda
1963-Present

Mahindra is a major manufacturing corporation in India, involved in metals, automobiles, and farm machinery. In 1963, Mahindra joined with International Harvester to form the International Tractor Company of India (ITCI) and was producing a version of the B275 by 1965. The partnership with International ended in 1971, and ITCI merged back with Mahindra as the tractor division. The "Mahindra" brand name was first used on tractors in 1982. In 1994, Mahindra USA was formed to export tractors to the United States.
)</font>

/ Comparison of old IH tractors to Current Mahindras
I guess it might help this discussion if I let the cat out of the bag so to speak on why I originally asked /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. I'm sure many of you have been keeping up with the backhoe thread here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/mahindra/Number/597922/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o//fpart/1

In one of the responses, "Latheman" stated that

</font><font color="blue" class="small">(
The Mahindra 00-series have very small internal hyd reservor. It is barely large enough to run the FEL. To run a BH without quickly overheating the Hyd system, one must use a PTO pump and a seperate hyd. tank. A dealer told me that this design is a throw back to an IH design of the late 60's that Mahindra was licensed to build. This was before FEL and backhoes were as common as they are today.

)</font>

I guess what I was after was how much of the old tractor design still permeates through the modern mahindras, and if this is so, is it a detriment or do you just have to understand that the bad comes with the good. (some weak points like a small hyd resivoir vs good points like a tough heavier frame).

Sorry if I am rambling but there hasn't been much activity here the past couple days so I think its okay /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.