4110 4wd noise

/ 4110 4wd noise #1  

mboulais

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110
I had my tractor at my fathers this weekend to help with some chores and the four wheel drive started making alot of noise. I have heard the noise before when going into or out of 4wd, but It became a big issue yesterday. Now, every time I go in or out of 4wd I have to play with the 4wd lever a little bit to find a spot where it doesn't squeal. This is a loud, fairly high pitched squeal like a friction disc slipping or something. Just to top the weekend off, I had the grounding issues that others had warned about. All 4110 owners ought to take the 2 minutes to remove the ground wire and scrape the paint off the frame under before it happens. It's kind of embarrasing when your tractor won't start and the green ones twice it's age start right up next to it.

/ 4110 4wd noise #2  
Was the shuttle lever in neutral and the wheels turned so they were straight, to take away any potential binding?

/ 4110 4wd noise
I must have missed something in the manual. I don't put the shuttle shift in neutral to go in and out of 4wd. I do keep the wheels straight and stopped (clutch depressed). I ussually have to change direction and move slightly before shifting. This noise does not only occur during the shift, It will stay. The dealer is going to send a mechanic over to my father's place tomorrow to look at it.

/ 4110 4wd noise
UPDATE : The mechanic test drove the tractor yesterday, and suspects a bad transmission bearing. They came back with the flatbed truck and took it away. I am not really upset over this even though it only has 190 hrs on it. There are going to be a few of these things with every brand and every model. The mechanic warned my father he couldn't make any promises about how fast they could fix it. They are very busy with farm calls this time of year. If they take too long (over a week) I will loose patience with them. I think a warranty repair on a 1 year old tractor he sold should take priority over some farmer's 20 year old tractor from some other dealer/brand that's only broke because of misuse and poor maintenance.

/ 4110 4wd noise #5  
That shouldn't be a difficult repair, and you should have it back in short order. Sounds like you have a good dealer to work with.

/ 4110 4wd noise #6  
My first dealer brought a brand new 2810 hst for me to use when fixing my 2810. I put about 8 hr on the rental.

/ 4110 4wd noise
UPDATE- Just spoke with the mechanic on the phone, They are splitting my tractor right now. They are not very computer savy, so I explained the broken bolts issue posted by skipmarcy. I think my dealer has been very responsive so far and am looking forward to getting my good-as-new tractor back soon.

/ 4110 4wd noise
'NOTHER UPDATE: I spoke with the other mechanic at the dealer yesterday afternoon. They have my tractor in lots of little pieces, but could not find anything wrong in the transmission or 4wd. They called the Mahindra rep, who I gather didn't provide any help and isn't coming to help either. They are going to look at the flywheel / pilot bearing to see if it could be installed wrong like on skipmarcy's and causing this problem.

/ 4110 4wd noise #9  
Please email me with the dealership where your tractor is being repairded. I will speak with our service rep and find out about the situation.

/ 4110 4wd noise #10  
Welcome aboard musa marketing, i assume that musa stands for Mahindra USA Marketing department? If so i for one am glad to have you on the forum.. it lets me know that Mahindra is listening and concerned about our issues and praise of there products. Thanks for your interest /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif