Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA?

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #1  

Clyde

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4530 FWD
I first heard of Mahindra approximately 3 years ago, and the posts on this forum were generally praising their new Mahindra tractor. Quite recently, the posts have turned to legitimate troubles with the tractors, terrible Mahindra support, and Mahindra's unwillingness to even respond to emails, calls, and letters.

Mahindra came into the U.S market with both guns blasting. Grandiose promises of service, fantastic warranties, 0% financing, and an apparent decent product. Any "mom/pop" that had a few bucks to floorplan a tractor in their front yard and a 1/2 ton pickup with trailer to deliver the tractor became dealers. Things appeared to be going great for MahindraUSA.

What in the heck happened in those short 3 years? I talked to a fellow just last evening that called to ask how I liked my 4500. He wants one too and talked to two dealers about buying one. They would like to sell him one but the dealers - at least around here - can't get a 4500 to sell him. Obviously Mahindra is selling tractors like crazy yet.

I cannot imagine anything more irritating for me than to be broke down and I can't find someone to listen at Mahindra. If this is the territory rep's job - then they need to put more reps out in the field and given the power to handle my problem expeditiously as possible. I don't care if they have to FedEx or whatever the part to me and swallow the costs themselves. Warranty is just that and not my problem!

I have been a great P.R. man for Mahindra up to this point but lately, just reading the complaints here, I have to reexamine my stance on their products and service. I hope to shout that someone from Mahindra reads this forum(I'm sure they do) and has an emergency meeting to reasses their priorities real soon.

Wake up Mahindra and get your head out of your buttcheeks! There is nothing more that the competition loves to hear than mumbling from the bowels of the Mahindra ship coming across the ocean with another load of cargo containers.

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #2  
Maybe were just not saying enough positive about our Mahindras and the negatives are winning out. Kinda like in politics, you only here when something is going bad.

I'd like to say that I am a new mahindra owner, I've had great dealer support, and anything that was wrong they have changed out. My tractor came with the wrong bucket and that was easily corrected for free. I had some initial issues with my backhoe and those were all fixed quickly for free. I went 17 hrs on my first 17 gal tank of fuel, trenched 250' with the backhoe, removed a small hill with the bucket, all no problems.

I'd also like to say that I was down at my dealers last week and John Deere had ordered 2 Mahindras for themselves! You're right, Mahindra is growing fast! And the competition is taking notice. I've seen great responses from many dealers in this forum and I've had great luck with my local dealer. When you are purchasing something this big and expensive do the research and see if you are buying from a good reputable dealer. I was just lucky that I had got parts from my dealer for my IH equipment beforehand so I knew they were good people.

I think it is far to easy to vent online about problems and get off track. We are here to help each other, but while it may sound negative at times it is a great example of collective learning.

Need a good dealer? Check out Glawall, New England Tractor, Franzen's in Monmouth IA, (my dealer), etc ..... Sure there may be some bad ones, but there sure are some nice people out there doing good business.

Here I am having a terrible(y) good time on my 6500 4WD.. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Attachments

• 664811-IMG_3971.jpg
    664811-IMG_3971.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 329
   / Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #3  
i just got a 4500 2wd this march,,,just curious how yours has been and how many hours you have and so on. plus i have a post noone has answered about the primary fuel filter. do you have to pull the starter to get the bolt out to replace that copper washer on top?

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA?
Tim - you are absolutely right in your views towards Mahindra. Unless you are experiencing problems, as long as you have great dealer support, you can only base your Mahindra ownership on your own dealings.

Negativity is a disease that a lot of people, unfortunately, have come in contact with. Indifference is just as contagious however with terminal results if not caught early enough. My point is that Mahindra is suffering from indifference. Whether that can be traced back to poor top management , trained staff manning the phone lines, or unaccountability for promises or statements of the Mahindra staff, it will lead to their demise if not caught NOW!

You are I are fortunate to have tractors that have performed up to our expectations. I use mine in my business and it gets worked hard but not abused. If the hydraulic bypass won't lift a stump out of the ground, I don't back up 10 more feet and give it a running start. That statement has nothing to do with any other prior posts or problems. It is a tractor and I expect more out of it than my F350 diesel trying to pull stumps.

I read the problems in this forum in the past 1 month and the frequency of problems is picking up. Many of the tractors are approaching the 2 year ownership mark. I try to put myself in the seat of the guys with problems and wonder what would happen to me if it were me. If you can't turn to the manufacturer for answers and action - whom? It is terrific that we have dealers like Glawall and Franzen's but how do they get results? Glawall for one has been a consistent advisor to this forum and has even helped me out with ideas.

Every bad report in this forum wipes out 10 "atta boys" and inevitably reduces the value of my machine. I'm not trying to start a war here but after being on this forum for the last three years - there is a resounding problem with Mahindra and it's lack of interest, communications, follow up, and trying to resolve problems after the purchase.

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #5  
glaywall is great,, i reported a problem to my dealer before and after i bought it, the dealer ignored it. i made a post on hear and glaywall had the fix with part numbers , it took about 2 minits now im happy.

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #6  
IMO, the number of problems people have been having with Mahindra are relatively small in relationship to the number of Mahindra owners.

One of the reasons I chose Mahindra was that my dealer appeared to be very competent, and I was condfident the dealer would be there for years. The common thread I see running through the Mahindra problems on this board, and there are very few, is that there is a lack of dealer support and involvement in the solution process.

I read a lot of different forums on TBN when I began shopping for a tractor, and that was the same common thread for all unhappy owners, no matter what brand they purchased.

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #7  
Growing pains maybe. I've seen about four new Mahindra dealers come into this area in the last year. It sure made it easy to get a good deal when it all came down to time to buy. Nothing like having a choice of dealers to shop to foster a little price competition. My local dealer in Louisville came through with the lowest price. He delivered the unit to me with a tank of fuel and even delivered it on a Sunday since I had to be out of town Saturday. I've had no warranty claims, but I have had one problem that I fixed myself. The bolt holding the range selector lever backed out leaving me in neutral. About a five minute fix. This was on a Sunday so it wouldn't have been fixed the same day. If I'd showed up at the dealer Monday I feel like he would have handled it promptly. Is my Mahidra perfect? Heavens no. I'm very positve on it so far. Am I going to feel the same way 6 mos. or a year from now?
Time will tell, but I wouldn't have bought my 2615 if I didn't feel like it was a good choice. Also note I've seen a similar thread to this in another forum for another brand that seems to be on a quick growth curve right now.
DMB.

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #8  
Mahindra tractors, in my estimation, are some of the most "tanklike" machines I've seen in a long time. Bar none, my 6000, at its weight, does the work of a tractor with 20 more HP than its rated at. I've had it for 2 years this month and have only had one warranty item done. It was competently done and returned in good order. My complaints, as are most of the dealers, is that Mahindra field reps and office personnel don't return calls and can't be in 20 places at once. Yes, I've had quite a time with the Backhoe issue, and as a matter of fact, I was informed today by Tomball Tx that the drawbar on my 6000 is the "old" type and the hydraulic tank/PTO pump on the Bradco/Mahindra 511 BH requires the later version. I understand it was shipped to my dealer today and supposedly will be in this weekend. We shall see. We have made ourselves heard right here on this forum and I for one, appreciate all the concerns and posts that have come across with help, opinions, etc. My opinion is that Mahindra has REALLY heard what's happening out here, and I believe some of the dealers are letting Mahindra hear that old "I told you so.....!!" that everyone now and again needs to hear to keep them going in the right direction. Yeah, I'm really PO'd about the BH, but Bradco and Mahindra, up thru and including the Director of Research and Service in Tomball Tx are now involved. We shall see. I'll keep you all informed if the new fix is really the fix. I hope it is. As for me, I now feel like I'm an expert on hydraulic design....(lol)--not...More later on the BH , but I still think Mahindra makes one **** good tractor for the buck. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #9  
I own a 4110 mahindra with 56 hrs. on it now, and I work that tractor harder than any other I have ever owned.
It has taken all the work I throw at it without a hitch, I would buy another one in a heart beat.
You think mahindra has problems? I dont think so at all,its the squeaky wheel that gets attention here. Just go over to the Newholland forum & read about the (nightmares) they have.
And mahindra has only been in the US. 10yrs.
Mine is built like a tank & Im happy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Also the price was almost 4000 under the green & orange
Tractor Ernie

/ Mahindra - grown too big too quickly in USA? #10  
My 4110 was picked up last night for a bad transmission bearing at 190 hrs, but I don't think that is a fair indicator of the overall quality and features of these machines. I am very happy with the tractor, and this warranty problem will be long forgotten before that tractor is retired. Like everyone else, I usually only post when I have a question/problem so you only see the negatives. It is a far better tractor than the old International 384 and Massey 333 I owned. I'm sure both of those models had there share of problems when they were new in the 50's and 60's.