Strange sound from Front Wheel Drive on 6000

/ Strange sound from Front Wheel Drive on 6000 #1  

BobG_in_VA

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux
I just took off the 511 Bradco BH yesterday as I needed to do some loader work today. I put it in 4 WD. I noted a strange "grinding" or different sound from the right front in reverse at about 1500 rpm when the bucket had a load in it (ie. front end weighed more). The front end seemed to "bounce" a tad at this speed (systemic up/down on front end). I checked the front end gear oil and it is fine. When I put it back in 2 wheel everything seemed OK. I'm wondering if maybe the 4WD gear shift is needing adjustment, ie. is it fully in 4 wd or just every other rotation, etc. Any help replies would be appreciated.

/ Strange sound from Front Wheel Drive on 6000 #2  
With what we've been reading about front ends of 4wd, I'd get it checked out before running it in 4wd. If something is wrong, and a tooth is missing, and the fact (I've heard) that the gears have to be matched (paired), it would be good to catch the problem as early as possible.

If the 'bounce' brings to your mind 'every other rotation', then it makes it sound like a broken tooth. Hope it is not.

/ Strange sound from Front Wheel Drive on 6000
Forgot to mention, this tractor has 192 hours on it. I just noticed it today (sound wise that is). BobG in VA

/ Strange sound from Front Wheel Drive on 6000
Thank goodness, it appears to be a "false" alarm. The weird sound I heard is most likely a creaking that the FEL was making at one of the stress points (where it hooks up midships). I consulted the Service manual and checked the planetary gearing in the hub center on both sides. I changed the gear oil in the right one (where i thought the sound was coming from). The magnetized plug had some small metal filings clinging to it but not any teeth!. I turned the wheel (held off the ground by the FEL) slowly checking out the outer planetary gear ring, and all seemed fine. I feel much better now. However, I do need to now change the gear oil in the left one and the the axel housing as well. BobG in VA aka Chicken Little