Using a torque wrench...

/ Using a torque wrench... #1  

SonnieP

Silver Member
Tractor
See my signature in post.
I noticed in the Torque Chart on page 68 of the ML265 FEL that some of those larger bolts require some serious torque... up to 1120 lb. ft. for 1-1/4" grade 5 and even more for grade 8 bolts. The 3/4" bolt requres 270 lb. ft. grade 5 and 380 grade 8.

Where do you guys find such a torque wrench? Most everywhere I look they only have 150 lb. ft. wrenches available.

I noticed on my Brown cutter that the blade bolts are to be torqued to 600-700 lb. ft. using a 1-1/2" socket. That's a lot of force to get that much torque.

Are these kind of high torques possible with a regular torque wrench?

/ Using a torque wrench... #2  
Not with a regular torque wrench, need a big one to measure torque like that. 1120 ft lbs, might need an 8 ft cheater pipe for that one /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Ben

/ Using a torque wrench... #3  
As he said, an 8 ft pipe or one good pneumatic impact wrench. As a matter of fact when I put the subframe on my 6000, I would still be trying to do it if I didn't have a good impact wrench. Bobg in VA

/ Using a torque wrench... #4  
You should look into a torque multiplier. They multiply the excerted force 4x,they come in handy for removal of that type of bolt as well. Still seems like you'll need more wrench though. Maybe you could "rent" on e from the local heavy equipment dealer..?..

/ Using a torque wrench...
Uhhhhhgggggly prices on those heavy duty torque wrenches. I've seen them from $500 on up to $1700 or so for the ones that do from 1000ft/lb to 2000ft/lb.

I have an air impact drill and a 135psi compressor. I have no idea how to convert that to torque though.

/ Using a torque wrench... #6  
Some half inch drive impact wrenches can do 600 lb + torque. But no way to really measure it.....

Ben

So... is everyone just tightening your bolts as tight as you can get them with a wrench or impact and not worrying about if the torque is correct?

/ Using a torque wrench... #8  
I wouldnt be surprised.... I know alot of mechanics that think they know better than the engineer....

/ Using a torque wrench... #9  
you sure that wasnt a type-o in your manual? thats alot of torque!

I decided to call Brown Mfg. who makes my cutter. Fellow there says they realize most folks ain't gonna have a heavy duty torque wrench laying around. The 600-700lb/ft is basically to give you an idea of the fact that it needs to be as tight as possible. He stated get the pipe on the end of the wrench and tighten it as much as possible and that it would not be possible to over torque the bolts in this manner.

I also talked to a tractor dealer and he stated they do not use torque wrenches... they just tighten as tight as they can on the tractor bolts and let it be.