Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6500

Default 6500 Starting Problem

Does anyone know where the neutral safety switch on a 6500 is located? (The switch on the forward/reverse shifting lever linkage.) Starter won't engage. I can start it by jumping from solenoid to starter. I followed the shift (forward/reserve) shifter linkage to where it enters the transmission. I didn't see a safety switch. I did located the safety switch for the pto.

Bob

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6000 MWFD, 2 1950's Farmalls, 1974 Farmall 140, 1967 Mf 135Delux

Default Re: 6500 Starting Problem

Do you have 2 or 4WD? If 4WD you have a shuttle shift and it must be in the "neutral" center position to start no matter where the gearshift lever is). If you can jump it from the solenoid to the starter, it sounds like the solenoid is bad or the switch from the key to the solenoid. Do you hear the "click" when you hit the key start??BobG in VA (PS reason on the 2WD is that shuttle shift is not available with 2WD).

Tractor
    Mahindra 6500 4WD

I dunno. I'm looking in the parts diagram, for starter, Alt. and Dash Instruments, (all on the same page). The Neutral safety switch is located smack in the middle of the page, with no indication of it's location.

I'm probably missing something. Also looked in the service manual. Quite elusive.

i have had the same problem a piece of brush would knock the wires off. It is towards the back of your right floorboard. It has a rubber boot with 2 wires i believe. the switch has more than two prongs so yo may have to play with it a little while to get it to work, but this should help

Silver Member
    Tractor
    Mahindra 6500

The problem turned out to be the pto safety switch. I fiddled with the wires and it started. I'd still like to know how the neutral switch on the reverser works (and its location).

Bob