New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #1  

djw250

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510
Gentlemen,

I just joined the forum, and wanted to get your opinion on a couple of things. We are about to replace our 25 year old Long 460 with a new tractor. I'm considering a Mahindra 3525 with FEL. I've read some of the posts, and I think most consider this to be a good tractor.

My question is about the dealer. I am planning on going to a dealer that is 150 miles from our house because I can get the tractor for $1,000 less than from any close by. Is this a mistake in your opinion as far as warranty issues, or will any Mahindra dealer perform warranty work? Any input on the tractor or dealer situation is appreciated.

Dave

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #2  
IMO, this would be a mistake. You are not likely to get as good of service from your local dealer.

Have you told your local dealer of the price difference?

Take your tractor to where you bought it from unless you relocate for some other reason.

Just my opinion. But my dealer is also 1.5 hours away. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #3  
Warranty on Mahindras DOES NOT INCLUDED TRANSPORTATION. Sounds like one or two trips at about $2.00/mile could eat up that $grand$ in a New York minute. BobG in VA

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #4  
Dave,

I agree with the above opinions. Support the local dealer if at all possible.

Clark

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner
In a way I agree with you. I'd love to support my local dealers, but they are not trying to work with me in the least either. I talked to 2 of them about the price difference, and even said I would be willing to meet somewhere in the middle. I probably would have been willing to go with one of them if they had been willing to come off of the price even a couple of hundred dollars, but neither one would budge at all. This doesn't say to me that they really want my business. We run a small, family operated business, and money is very tight. I can't afford to throw away a thousand dollars when I can spend a day and $60 in gas to go pick up the tractor.

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #6  
This statement is coming from a Mahindra dealer.
I think you should try to make a relationship with your local dealer HOWEVER if he is not being fair with you on a price then by all means go where you get the best deal. Now I can see if he is 1 or 2 hundred more, Then I think you are a fool to go else where.
Now keep in mind we have help, inventory, lights and insurance to pay but $1,000.00 is quit a bit for a consumer to swallow.
When we become a dealer there is a part in are agreement that states that we have to service any Mahindra tractor even if we did not sell it.
I will service and warranty any of the brands that I carry even if I did not sell it.
Although you will have to remember the dealer that you did not buy from may service your machine but your wait may be much longer than desired.

I understand that dealers need to make a profit, and that the overhead in our area is probably higher than at the other dealer's location. I really wanted to buy locally, but I really think that they could have worked with me a little more. I'm not buying the loader with the tractor. I'm going to wait a couple of months, and I plan to order it from my local dealer, even though it will cost me about $110 more. When I told one of the salesmen at the local dealer about the price difference, he told me for that much difference, he would probably make the trip and buy from the other dealer too.

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #8  
Dumb question: Who's gonna install the framework for the FEL? If you don't buy the tractor with the FEL, you're probably gonna get hit with a healthy labor bill plus the cost of the FEL. If it were me I'd wait till I could afford to buy the unit with the FEL installed. I'm sure as I'm sittin here that it will be cheaper/done right. BobG in VA

The local dealer quoted me an installed price for the loader. On it, he was only $110 higher than the other dealer.

/ New member and soon to be new Mahindra owner #10  
Go for the cheaper one! Heck with a local dealer that wants $1k more. If you ever even need warranty work... your local dealer will have to do it if you choose to take it there. They are tough tractors... chances are you'll never need service under the warranty anyway.

I'm all about supporting the local guys... but not if they can't get right with me. Just a few weeks ago I bought a new '06 Tacoma. I was trading in an '01 Tacoma and went back to the place I bought it from. After 2 days of jawing.... I told them don't call me back until you are serious. I went to the next closest dealer... their initial offer was better than the original dealer's after 2 days!! The dealer I bought from saved me around $2500. To me... that is a "no brainer" decision!!

Good luck either way! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif