6000 to 7010 trade

/ 6000 to 7010 trade #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Drove the 7010 cab today and talked money on it. Dealer said he will sell for $36100. A bit higher than the $34000 range I expected. The real kicker was when I told him I'd have to trade in my 6000 and asked what he thought it was worth. His reply was he'd trade for $21100. That's only $15000 trade in on a tractor he sold me for $23500 2 years and 4 months ago. A practically new tractor that he has serviced on regular intervals and only has 372 hours on it. Do they depreciate that much in a little over 2 years? That's 36%! Now of course I could probably broker a little better deal, but I figure we are $3500 to $4500 apart. I expected more trade in at the Mahindra dealer but from the sound of things I'd be better off trading elsewhere or just selling outright.

/ 6000 to 7010 trade #2  
Forget the brand, or even that it is a tractor. Consider finance incentives and warranty on this "item". The actual depreciation is more like 10%, the balance is fighting the economics of subsidized financing and warranty value.

A used tractor, even slightly used, can no longer be sold with the 0% financing, so calculate the amount one would pay at the normal non-sponsored rate of 9.4% as compared to 0% for 36 months, or figure the 60 month rate comparison if you prefer. On the 36 month comparison, the new tractor buyer will save $3600 in interest over a standard rate. So if the dealer tries to resell your used tractor for $19,900, ($23500 less $3600), the new buyer could buy a brand new one for the same monthly payment and have a new tractor. So we know this item needs to be less than $19,900 to compete with new. Now take warranty; this has a few months left on warranty. Figure a new item warranty is worth $1000, which is a made up number, but I'll use it just the same. Now the tractor needs to sell for $18,900 to break even with new. Now factor in that it is used, has a few scratches I assume, tires are worn some, clutch might be a third gone, etc. Let's take off just $2000 for almost three years wear and tear. Now we are at $16,900. Let's say the dealer does a full service and then wants to make 5%. That puts a trade-in value around $16,000?

Of course there are other ways to look at this. A cash buyer may not think of the value of the money borrowed and may just see a new one at $23,500 and a slightly used one might fetch $19,500.

In summary, whether this is a new pickup or a new tractor, as long as the manufacturers are offering subsudized rates worth thousands and long warranties, used items will take a 30% hit right off the bat. Keep it another year or two and it'll still be worth what it is now.

As a practical matter, make him an offer. Good trade-ins are great to have on the lot and he should want it.

Does this make sense?

/ 6000 to 7010 trade #3  
To give you the perspective of a Missouri buyer, I bought an '03 6000 2WD last Dec. for less than $10,500 from a Mahindra dealer. That wouldn't be 100% definitive but would indicate that $15k might be a decent trade-in for a 4WD model.

/ 6000 to 7010 trade #4  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Forget the brand, or even that it is a tractor. Consider finance incentives and warranty on this "item". The actual depreciation is more like 10%, the balance is fighting the economics of subsidized financing and warranty value.

A used tractor, even slightly used, can no longer be sold with the 0% financing, so calculate the amount one would pay at the normal non-sponsored rate of 9.4% as compared to 0% for 36 months, or figure the 60 month rate comparison if you prefer. On the 36 month comparison, the new tractor buyer will save $3600 in interest over a standard rate. So if the dealer tries to resell your used tractor for $19,900, ($23500 less $3600), the new buyer could buy a brand new one for the same monthly payment and have a new tractor. So we know this item needs to be less than $19,900 to compete with new. Now take warranty; this has a few months left on warranty. Figure a new item warranty is worth $1000, which is a made up number, but I'll use it just the same. Now the tractor needs to sell for $18,900 to break even with new. Now factor in that it is used, has a few scratches I assume, tires are worn some, clutch might be a third gone, etc. Let's take off just $2000 for almost three years wear and tear. Now we are at $16,900. Let's say the dealer does a full service and then wants to make 5%. That puts a trade-in value around $16,000?

Of course there are other ways to look at this. A cash buyer may not think of the value of the money borrowed and may just see a new one at $23,500 and a slightly used one might fetch $19,500.

In summary, whether this is a new pickup or a new tractor, as long as the manufacturers are offering subsudized rates worth thousands and long warranties, used items will take a 30% hit right off the bat. Keep it another year or two and it'll still be worth what it is now.

As a practical matter, make him an offer. Good trade-ins are great to have on the lot and he should want it.

Does this make sense? )</font>

This is a good analysis and right on. Thanks

I also agree that good used tractors are hard to find. I would say you could improve the deal either with a consignment arrangement or selling on your own. I had a hard time finding a used tractor in the mid to high teens(I just didn't want to have in the mid-twenties in a tractor until I was comfortable.

The parallel with auto/truck deals applies as well.

/ 6000 to 7010 trade
What about the initial price on the 7010? I read a post here somewhere they should be around $33300 with fel? Is that right? If he's $2000 higher to start and then gets my trade for $1000 cheaper than the lowest I figured a Mahindra dealer would give I get a bad deal. If the price to start is what was posted here (around $33500 - $34000) and I get a little more trade($15500-$16500) we're right where I thought we should be.
I understand full well that financing incentives are hurting used sales right now and I also understand that things depreciate, but 36% seems a stretch. The financing is exactly why I bought new. So then if this is true a tractor with 750-1000 hours is worth just a little less and in a year or 2 I should be able to get the same for trade in?
Also important to note that no service is needed on this tarctor. I just paid this dealer $375 to change oil/filter, hydraulic filter/fluid, both air filters, fuel filters, new antifreeze, steam clean and grease good.

/ 6000 to 7010 trade
Also has $600 option bale spear in price. Just thought I'd mention that and that I also am trading in pallet forks and a bale spear with mine.

/ 6000 to 7010 trade
Pages: 1
jwcinpk
Gold Member

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Pine Knot, Kentucky, USA, Gateway to the Big South Fork NRRA
7010 cab price?
#782270 - 12/03/05 05:30 PM Edit Reply Quote

When I picked up my 6000 from the dealer the other day I noticed the beast and wondered about the price. Owner of the shop and evidently the only one who can price the tractors since I would trade mine in wasn't there so I couldn't get a price.
What's good price on it with the fel and 4x4?

Post Extras: Print Post | Remind Me! | Notify Moderator | E-Mail Post
RedRiver

Reged: 12/06/05

Re: 7010 cab price? [Re: jwcinpk]
#783623 - 12/06/05 09:52 AM Edit Reply Quote

They run about $28,500 and about 33,300 with a FEL.
Plus the $1000 rebate.

Post Extras: Print Post | Remind Me! | Notify Moderator | E-Mail Post