IS IT CHARGING?

/ IS IT CHARGING? #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey ya'll,

Here goes:

1....Battery is a Delstar that is a little over a year old.
2....Battery has been very weak lately. Today it finally wouldn't start. Put a charger on it and immediately started.
3....My uncle tested the volts on it. Here are the readings:
A).....Tractor running at idle NO lights on:...12.4 volts
B).....Tractor running at idle WITH lights on:....12.3 volts
C).....Tractor NOT running NO lights on.....12.4 volts
4....The 'charging' gauge needle on my tractor is in the center "between the red and green" when there are NO lights on. WITH the lights on it is a little way in the red.
5....My uncle said it could be the voltage regulator, or, alternator??But I don't know.

WHATS THE PROBLEM???? Its driving me crazy!!!

Thanks,
Travis

/ IS IT CHARGING? #2  
Travis - What model Mahindra do you own? Either way or whatever model, 12 volts plus a few increments over that will not keep your battery topped off and I can understand it's reluctance to start. Take your meter and put it across the output lead of the alternator and the other to a good ground. Your meter will not cause any harm to the charging system. You just might have something as simple as a bad ground issue which Mahindra has has some problems with on the "00" series. Keep us in the loop as to what you find Travis - Clyde

/ IS IT CHARGING? #3  
I would say Not Charging. With light OFF and engine running 1500 or more, you should be seeing 13.8 volts or more. That's pretty much standard for a twelve volt system on most any vehicle. Check grounds & voltage at alternator as someone already suggested. Also check voltage regulator unless it is integral to the alternator.

/ IS IT CHARGING? #4  
First check the tension on your alternator belt, and make sure it is tight, Then check the voltage at the battery with the tractor running at idle and then at 1500 RPM's. You should be get a reading definately above 13 volts. It sounds like your alternator isn't charging, but I would check the above items before I made a final decision. Good luck with it.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY 14020
585-343-0770

/ IS IT CHARGING?
Alright, I just took the readings at the battery.

1......Lights and flashers OFF @ idle reads 11.99-12.03 volts

2......Lights and flashers ON @ idle reads 11.80-11.85 volts

3......Lights and flashers OFF @ 1500 rpms reads 12.00-12.03 volts

4......Lights and flashers ON @ 1500 rpms reads 11.77 volts

Now, is this definitely an alternator problem? If so, where do I go to fix it? How do I fix it? WHAT DOES IT COST TO GET IT REBUILT COMPARED TO A NEW ONE? WHERE CAN I GET A NEW ONE?

/ IS IT CHARGING?
Well, is it charging??????????

Travis

/ IS IT CHARGING? #7  
Travis, I'd say you might ought to look to the battery. The battery with no load and tractor not running should be a standard 12.6V (2.1V per cell). Shorted and dead cells even with a new battery has often been my experience. Danny

/ IS IT CHARGING? #8  
Travis,
No it's not charging. but first make sure you alternator belt is tight.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY 14020
585-343-0770

/ IS IT CHARGING? #9  
Travis -

It sure doesn't sound as if it's being charged. As previous poster said, rule out the simplest stuff first, namely the alternator belt. Then wiring, then the alternator itself, or the voltage regulator if it's not built into the alternator (which it probably is). How many hours on the tractor? I'd have to believe the alternator would be good for 1,000 hours, but who the heck knows. I'd say it's the alternator.

Good luck, John

/ IS IT CHARGING? #10  
Mine was replaced under warranty at less than 150 hours. Could also be the cables to the battery themselves. I've seen corrosion weaken the charge on the battery.