Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability?

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #1  

Stoner

Bronze Member
I did not realize that they had a Mahindra section on this message board. I knew Mahindra was out there and manufacturer some agricultural equipment but did not realize they were as large as they are. I also found out that they manufactured some of the old Willey’s jeeps during WW II. I was wondering about the quality and reliability of their tractors. How do they compare to a John Deere or a Kubota? I am in the market for a 30-35 HP tractor to be used for finishing mowing, tilling for gardens, and planting dove fields. Thanks

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #2  
I've had a 3510 (35 HP 4WD GEAR w/FEL) for about a year now and 0 problems to date.

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #3  
It would be hard to compare Mahindra to JD or Kubota since those two represent a huge percentage of the U.S. CUT market. However, not to imply that they wouldn't hold their own dollar for dollar against those two, I'd say that a Mahindra tractor stacks up well against any of the "non-big three" manufacturers quite well. Good luck!

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #4  
I'm in the mkt also for 35-40HP compact & have been researching for past 3 mos. Seems from everything I can find that Mahindra is a very good overall value for the dollar. However their resale value is definitly lower than the Kubotas & JDs - I assume because they're just not as established as the big boys in terms of product support and do not yet have a long-term track record that's well enough established.

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #5  
Not to hijack anything, but I have never bought a tractor based on resale value. Right now I have "about 4" (own half interest in one). My do it all tractor is a Mahindra 6000 4WD, FEL with Bradco 511 BH, 7ft box blade and 7 ft HD brush hog. Actually, I expect to "pass it on" to my nephew after I do the big "pass".....but, thinking about it, I got such a good deal on it, I wouldn't sell it anyway.....BobG in VA

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #6  
I have owned a 5005 for several years and cannot complain about the service I have gotten out of it. I think, however, that the 5005 was the last design based on the old Internationals. I can not speak for the "new" Mahindras. From what I have seen on TBN they can hold their own against any of the other colors. I do know this: I had to pay for a major repair on my 5005 and was still several thousand dollars ahead when compared to what Kubota and JD had to offer at time of purchase.
Oh, and the repair? My hydraulic pump was run w/ a stopped up return line. When it locked up it shaved a few gears off the front of the motor.
My Mahindra has done what it has been asked to do w/in reason. As for resale value. I don't worry about that at all. When I finish w/ the tractor it will be hauled to auction and probably ready for the salvage line. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif But I expect several more years of service before that happens.

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #7  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Not to hijack anything, but I have never bought a tractor based on resale value. )</font>

I'd say that 80 to 90% of the people take that into some sort of consideration, so you are in the small minority. I believe well over 80% of the CUT market is controlled by the big 3 manufacturers. You can bet that resale is an important selling feature for them. Others, like me, end up buying many more than one single tractor for life. Although many people say that "this is all the tractor I'll ever need", I'd bet that less than 1% of those people still have that same tractor in 40 years.

Not that it has anything to do with Mahindra quality or reliability, which I commented on earlier, but to say that not many people consider resale value when they buy is just plain not true. The actual facts just do not back up that statement at all.

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #8  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I'd say that 80 to 90% of the people take that into some sort of consideration, so you are in the small minority. )</font>

I don't know where you pulled that stat, but I get just the opposite perception. Sure when folks buy a car or truck, resale value may play a big part in the decision. But, most people I know buy a tractor expecting it to last at least 15 or 20 years if not more. Resale value never entered the equation when I made my purchase. If you are concerned with resale value, perhaps a Kubota or JD would serve you better.

Back on topic... I only have 41 hours on my 2615, so I can't speak to long term reliability. But, I've been pleased thus far. And, the 15 series is a proven line that was carried by Cub Cadet for several years before being picked up by Mahindra. I guess when I see the guys with the orange and green tractors, I can smile knowing that I got (in my opinion) just as much tractor for a lot less money. And, when they look at my Mahindra, they can smile and know that when they get ready to sell, they'll get a lot more for theirs.

Respectfully,

BR

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #9  
</font><font color="blueclass=small">( I'd bet that less than 1% of those people still have that same tractor in 40 years.)</font>

In my little world, I own a JD "M"(was my Dad's), my father in law a Farmall "Super A" and a 3000, his neighbor a 601 Workmaster, my buddy a JD "B"(was his Dad's), my uncle an MF 35, and my cousin an MH 50 (was his Dad's), all purchased new.

I'd imagine there are quite a few that stay with the owner or at least in the family for 40 years.

/ Mahindra Tractors Quality and Reliability? #10  
My 6000 is not a CUT. Therefore, I must be in the 1%. BobG in VA