Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems?

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #1  

antks

I have a 6000 that is having a problem pulling it's own weight in high gear. One of the helpers was on it a few days ago, and he said it just "quit on him". The problem only seems to occur while in high gear - in low gear the thing goes just fine, but of course its very slow. Also, the tractor seems to be fine when its cold, but after a few hundred feet it will just stop. Sometimes if I let it sit for a second it will seem to catch and get going again for a little while if I rev it high. I will say that it was very low on hydraulic fluid when I checked it after this problem came up. I assume since there aren't any problems in low gear that it isn't a clutch problem. Is this a poblem with he hydraulics? Is the tranny fried? Any ideas before I pay my dealer a small fortune to fix it?

Thanks!
AS

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #2  
Well if it's not revving high in high gear I would say it's not in the clutch. Could it be starved for fuel? Perhaps filter clogged?
Could you elaborate a little more on the problem? Is it hanging up or just dying? Shifting easily or hard?
Doesn't make sense! /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems?
It will rev high in high gear - and it isn't dying at all. The problem comes while in high gear just getting the thing to move. It's like the transmission isn't engaging and moving the wheels. The best part is that it only happens after you drive it for a bit. I mean, I can get it out of the stall, drive it out into a pasture for a few hundred yards and everything seems fine - then all of a sudden it will just stop moving.....engine still running and still in gear. But, it always seems to move just fine in LOW gear. Now to make it even more confusing /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif if you let it sit for a minute, then rev it really high, it will slowly start to move again for 20 or 30 feet then stop again......and you could do that all day.

thanks for your reply
AS

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #4  
Your clutch needs adjusting. Anytime a vehicle won't hold in high gear but the engine runs, its the clutch. Also it would seem fine in low gear as the momemtum of the gears will carry it forward. Check your freeplay on your clutch pedal, you should have about an inch or so before you feel any resistance. DO NOT RIDE YOUR CLUTCH! This means don't even let your foot rest on it while you are working. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #5  
Let me try to give you another scenario that may help explain. I have a 1984 Nissan 4x4 5spd. Recently, while in 2wd and high range it started to stop moving. I could put it in 4wd and low range and it would move fine. Of course, it turned out to be the clutch, which was slipping bad, but the lower gears didn't need as much force to make them move.
Now to your problem. I would have to say that either your clutch is wearing, or you may have burned up your hydraulic pump and/or sheared your hyd oil. I don't know if the lack of oil could burn something up that would stop it from moving, but I would assume it could be related being that you said it is fine until you get it hot. Usually a slipping clutch will slip all the time, cold or hot. If you have the flow through hydraulic system, this could be the case.

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #6  
Bob is right it's your clutch freeplay. If the clutch is not too badly worn it will adjust out with a little effort. The owners manual details how. Mine started slipping under load at about 200 hours, but once adjusted I haven't had any more trouble. I doubt being low on hydraulic oil has hurt it unless it was completely empty or run like that for a substantial period of time. Keep us posted on your problem.
It will help you get responses on your posts if you fill out your profile. Folks are always suspicious of a problem with no profile. Seems folks do that to try to put down a brand.

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #7  
Like others said, check your clutch adjustment. It takes more of load to take off in high gear than it does in low. Mine did the the same thing @ 200 hrs.

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #8  
One of the helpers was on it a few days ago, and he said it just "quit on him".

Do you think one of the helpers could be not knowlingly riding the clutch? Do they know anything about tractors?

Just a thought.

Travis

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #9  
I vote for clutch adjustement!

Most obvious and certainly easiest as well as cheapest synario.

Sure hope so for you.

Good luck!

/ Mahindra 6000 4wd tranny problems? #10  
I have a 6000 that is having a problem pulling it's own weight in high gear. One of the helpers was on it a few days ago, and he said it just "quit on him". The problem only seems to occur while in high gear - in low gear the thing goes just fine, but of course its very slow. Also, the tractor seems to be fine when its cold, but after a few hundred feet it will just stop. Sometimes if I let it sit for a second it will seem to catch and get going again for a little while if I rev it high. I will say that it was very low on hydraulic fluid when I checked it after this problem came up. I assume since there aren't any problems in low gear that it isn't a clutch problem. Is this a poblem with he hydraulics? Is the tranny fried? Any ideas before I pay my dealer a small fortune to fix it?

Thanks!
AS

I have a 2002 Mah. 6000 2wd. Its been problems almost from day one.
Yes, i had the stalling problem. was air in the fuel line. got stopped up
in the screen inside the fuel tank. bled it and pumped up the line.
and it was fine. also had clutch slip problems. most of the 4 wd models
I've seen have had to have clutch replacements at about 400 hrs.
dealer said, they've had cl. go out at 80 hrs. if you believe that. I certainly
can. I made it to 1000 hrs on the clutch i have. Pto portion of is dead!!!!
and in high gear it slips or revs up! its bad!
These are my problems since 2002!
1. Hyd. leaks. first year
2. tie rod ends fell off. ( No grease fittings to use! )
3. muffler & exh. man. replaced
4. radiator leaks
5. all hyd lift cyl. replaced 2 times.
6. bad joy stick control, fell apart. also wore out.
7. bad brkes. & most of the Hyd.hoses on loader.
8. many flat tires. valve stems stick out to far!
9.starter went out. 5th yr.
10. steering box went out. leaked bad!!!
11. Note: This tractor had a bad front end. Defective front end!
Mahindra redesigned this model with larger spindles & housings!
The LF spindle broke on me on a job. Mahindra Did warranty the parts
only! Not the labor, my local dealer wanted 60.oo an Hr to replace
if i hauled it to him! I found out from the Texas Dealership, you know
the big one out there. It Was all under warranty. my local guy/ jerk said, after
I waited a week , he said, I really had haggle with them to get the parts
warrantied for you. yeah right! He's been sued! filed Bankruptcy
and now he's back at it again. Mahindra doesn't care who sells their Tractors
as long as someone does. Mahindra did not stand behind me!
I could list more problems, defects in designs etc.
But, Please don't buy one. you can't sell um used to anybody.
The Dealer, Mah. dealer is the only place that will accept it on trade
believe me I tried. These tractors are good for hobby farmers only!
People I've talked to, have only had problems! Been lied to about their
clutch problems etc.from clowns like the one here in Dade city, florida.
He told every one I spoke to this, Its your fault ,you rode it, kept
yr foot on it! Have you heard this before?I have rec.d my info other people
owners like me. Also from 2 other dealerships and a retired Mahindra
Mechanic. So think about it!
It was the worst mistake we ever made to buy this over priced cheap made piece of junK!!!!Its cost me over $10,000 in parts and repairs!
Thanks Mahindra! Thanks Alot! Byron Sessoms