Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch?

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #1  

DonWorrell

Gold Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3325
Yesterday I took delivery of a new Mahindra 3325.

I hooked up my bush hog, rotary cutter, and worked for a litle over 1 hours time on my watch. But my tractor showed I had put 2 hours on it.

I was in really thick grass and was in 2nd low.

Never had a tractor with an hour meter before. Don't understand how they work.

Don

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #2  
Don: Sounds like you took delivery on a new tractor, worked for something over 1 hour, and observed 2 hours on the meter. IF that is the case you would also have to account for any idling time during hook up of the brush hog, some minutes at the dealer for check-out, loading & unloading for delivery, etc. - that is unless you recorded the hour meter readings at start and stop of mowing.
The type of hour meters I am familiar with are actually engine rpm counters, that is they add an hour every time the engine revolves some specified number of revolutions - often 60 x the engine rpm for 540 pto or maybe 60 x rated engine rpm. Sometimes the face of the tach/hr.meter will say "Hours at xxxx RPM." I've heard that there is also a type of hour meter that is actually elapsed time. Don't know for sure, but I would think that an hour meter as part of a tachometer would be the rpm counter type.
Fred

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #3  
I have 2 Kubota's, each has a different type of hour meter. One is simply a clock, the other is time at PTO speed. If I'm running half throttle on the big tractor it will show .5 hours after 60 minutes.

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #4  
Gee, I never thought about this. One thing I know about my 4110; I have put as high as 4 tenths while hooking up brush cutter. Lucky I shut the tractor off while greasing pto shaft. Those u joints are good for a 1/2 hour at least.

Cheers....Cpffeeman

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #5  
Lucky I shut the tractor off while greasing pto shaft.

Cheers....Cpffeeman[/QUOTE]

I really hope you were kidding about this!! ALWAYS shut the tractor down when performing ANY maintenance on it, especially around the PTO. Not being sarcastic, just trying to look out for a fellow owner! As an EMT, I see too many gruesome mishaps due to operator error or short cuts. I also live in a very rural area, so many of our calls are involving farm equipment.

Enough of the lecture, we all know you were just kidding! ;)

/ Does 1 hour on the Tractor hour clock equal 1 hour on my watch? #6  
cdover73 said:
Coffeeman said;

Lucky I shut the tractor off while greasing pto shaft.

Cheers....Coffeeman

I really hope you were kidding about this!! ALWAYS shut the tractor down when performing ANY maintenance on it, especially around the PTO. Not being sarcastic, just trying to look out for a fellow owner! As an EMT, I see too many gruesome mishaps due to operator error or short cuts. I also live in a very rural area, so many of our calls are involving farm equipment.

Enough of the lecture, we all know you were just kidding! ;)

Hi cdover

Ya can't stress safety too much. We all know too many bad stories of freak accidents, many of which could have been avoided by following every rule to the T. One thing I respect is PTO. There have been times I have used shortcuts in other areas, but not a good idea.

Cheers ... Coffeeman