Mahindra / Vermeer

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #1  

jwcinpk

Veteran Member
Tractor
2009 Mahindra 3316 HST-2008 Mahindra 7010 cab - 2004 Mahindra 6000 4X4
Was taking the kids to the fair the other day and noticed a guy rolling hay with a Mahindra 4500 2wd (no loader) and a Vermeer Rebel 4ft roller. I was amazed! I had to stop and watch. Didn't seem to be having a bit of trouble doing 4x4s.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #2  
i believe it, i have a 4500 2wd and i can run a 12 inch auger just off idle, also can run a 6 foot shredder just off idle in very heavy stuff of course i mow at 1800 rpm but dont need to. ive always herd you need 60hp for a round bailer but i cant imagine this tractor not being able to do it at 2150 rpm, i would like to find out.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #3  
I am making 5'x6' large round bales with my 6500 4wd no problem. When you get to that size though you need the 4wd or a tractor 100hp or more. The 6500 is 65 hp or something around there. The pto isn't the problem, just the sheer wieght of what you are pulling :).

/ Mahindra / Vermeer
I make lots of 4x4s and some 4x5s with my 6000. Could make bigger without any problems.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #5  
i always thought pto hp was the key to big round bails, ive never done it, just what ive heard. my dad has a 42 hp in another brand, i swear this 4500 is twice as powerful.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #6  
Before I got the 510 john deere I researched it here:

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/app21/se...Machinery&subj=601&head=Evaluations&page=true

They have a lot of good reviews on older equipment. They basically said the 5' x 6' round baler john deere used just under 30hp on the pto. The important part was traction and weight on uneven ground. That is where the 4wd comes in handy.

On a side note though, all balers are different. If you are talking about a moderm hydraulic tension baler then I am sure the requirements are much higher.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #7  
My 6500 4WD has surprised me what it will do since 2006. Its heavy weight, as y'all were discussing really is key. Just be sure your implements are heavy duty enough to handle it. I have a scrap pile. My other piece of equipment that impresses me is a 1997 Rhino cutter 7200. It is a true shredder. I have cleared and maintained 40 acres of timber/pasture land with it since 2003.

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #8  
They will do it for a guy doing maybe 100 rolls a year but the toll its gona take on that 4500 over the years will be harsh

/ Mahindra / Vermeer #9  
id imagine any 6500 running a 5x6 baler would have to be an old baler... any new JD569 or Vermeer 605N etc is gona need around 100hp at the pto to run at a custom level