UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM????

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey ya'll,

I may have spoke too soon about not having any major problems with my 97' 485 DI.

Was using the finish mower yesterday and today and noticed something different......

The tractor has a dual stage clutch....I had the rpms at around 2100......Pressed the clutch in half way, like I always do to change gears or go into reverse, and the tractor kept "pushing". It was supposed to stop while the pto keeps turning, unless I fully pressed the clutch all the way to the floor, then tractor and pto will stop...........Anyway what could be the problem? I adjusted the clutch a little, but didn't help......Dealer said that a bearing could be going out.....WHAT BEARING???? WHERE??????.........Please help me.

Travis

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #2  
Travis_R said:
Hey ya'll,

I may have spoke too soon about not having any major problems with my 97' 485 DI.

Was using the finish mower yesterday and today and noticed something different......

The tractor has a dual stage clutch....I had the rpms at around 2100......Pressed the clutch in half way, like I always do to change gears or go into reverse, and the tractor kept "pushing". It was supposed to stop while the pto keeps turning, unless I fully pressed the clutch all the way to the floor, then tractor and pto will stop...........Anyway what could be the problem? I adjusted the clutch a little, but didn't help......Dealer said that a bearing could be going out.....WHAT BEARING???? WHERE??????.........Please help me.

Travis
im no expert but i dont think you should be useing the clutch at 2100 rpm's, it ok to raise hand throttle and use foot throttle and use low rpm when changing gears,,,,,,,so the mower turns slower for a minit, who cares. i asked my dad about this kind of thing for doing dirt work, he said use foot throttle because clutching at high rpm's will burn up the clutch. anyway for now it sounds like it just needs to be adjusted.

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #3  
fish_wisperer said:
im no expert but i dont think you should be useing the clutch at 2100 rpm's, it ok to raise hand throttle and use foot throttle and use low rpm when changing gears,,,,,,,so the mower turns slower for a minit, who cares. i asked my dad about this kind of thing for doing dirt work, he said use foot throttle because clutching at high rpm's will burn up the clutch. anyway for now it sounds like it just needs to be adjusted.
I had no idea you should lower your RPM's before shifting or changing direction with a two stage clutch. My tractor has an 8 speed shuttle shift and while mowing I keep the hand throttle set at PTO speed and will partially depress the clutch to shift, change directions,engage/disengage 4WD and change ranges and never throttle down. I didn't see anything in the manual that even remotely adresses this concern. Does everyone else throttle down and I'm destroying my clutch everytime I mow?

John

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #4  
NewToy said:
I had no idea you should lower your RPM's before shifting or changing direction with a two stage clutch. My tractor has an 8 speed shuttle shift and while mowing I keep the hand throttle set at PTO speed and will partially depress the clutch to shift, change directions,engage/disengage 4WD and change ranges and never throttle down. I didn't see anything in the manual that even remotely adresses this concern. Does everyone else throttle down and I'm destroying my clutch everytime I mow?

John

N-Toy: Don't want to seem flippant, but It is your clutch...Imagine something spinning at over 2100 rpm, disengaging and re-engaging numerous times. I fear you will unnecessarilly and prematurely put more wear on your clutch than if you throttle down each time. Picture if you were just starting off and pegged your throttle...now pop your clutch....Friction is its own worst enemy. Bobg in VA

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM????
What do ya'll think my problem is with my tractor?

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #6  
Travis_R said:
Hey ya'll,

I adjusted the clutch a little, but didn't help......Dealer said that a bearing could be going out.....WHAT BEARING???? WHERE??????.........Please help me.

Travis

He's probably talking about the throw-out bearing on your clutch. Have you noticed any sounds from the clutch arrea that are high pitched or squeeling? Check to see how much free play you have in your clutch pedal. If its more than an inch or so you probably need to readjust it so it will completely disengage. Keep us posted on your situation. BobG in VA

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #7  
Shifting a tranny at 2100 rpm's is like pulling holeshots with a car. Your clutch will not last as long as it would if you shifted at the idle speed. You can usually feel it in the pedal if the throwout bearing is going. It would also be making noise when you started to depress the clutch pedal. Starting your mower deck at 2200 rpm's is not good for the clutch either.

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM???? #8  
Travis_R said:
What do ya'll think my problem is with my tractor?
Travis, Do you know if your two stage clutch has two discs or one? I know some of those setups use only one plate, maybe one of them is acting up?

John

/ UH OH...CLUTCH PROBLEM????
Bob.............No, I haven't noticed any unusual noise in the pto or trans.

John...........I'm not sure how many discs I have with the clutch system.

This has been an excellent tractor within the year and a half I've owned it.....With 1170 total hrs, it would devastate me if I started having problems with it.

Travis