Power Steering Cylinder

/ Power Steering Cylinder #1  

Travis_R

Veteran Member
Tractor
'98 MASSEY FERGUSON 231
Hey ya'll,

Anyone know where I can get a power steering booster cylinder (The one by the front axle of the tractor) re-build kit for a 97' Mahindra 485 DI? If so, where and how much? I defintely would buy from a dealer on here if they have it.

The tractor's serial # is: SP2579

I have gone as long as I could with just "getting by" with adding fluid now and then.

It used to be just a little seepage around the cylinder. Then it got to where it would drip.......................drip.......................drip.......................drip.........

Now its drip....drip.....drip.....drip.......drip......drip......drip......drip.....drip....drip...drip..drip.drip..POUR!

Get the point?

If anyone can help, I sure would appreciate it.

Travis

/ Power Steering Cylinder #2  
I've sent an email to our tech support to see what we can do.

/ Power Steering Cylinder #3  
We have a part # for that cylinder seal kit.Part # is 5554-347-R91.You can buy it from one of our dealers.They may not stock it but they can order it from us.

Contactg a Mahindra dealer. Many can take a credit card over the phone and can have the part shipped directly to you.

/ Power Steering Cylinder
MUSA MARKETING,

Thanks a lot for the replies. If I had known you were going to be on here, I would have asked another question in my first post........

I am looking for the PTO SPEED SELECTOR LEVER SEAL for my 485 DI. It is NOT the seal behind the ENGAGEMENT lever to the left of the operator's seat...........The lever I am talking about is on the left side of the tractor, down at the bottom of the transmission........It has 540, N, and 1000 engraved on the side of the transmission.

I HAVE CALLED 2 MAHINDRA DEALERS IN MY AREA AND BOTH OF THEM ARE HAVING TROUBLE GETTING THIS SEAL. One dealer sent me a pto engagement lever seal 2 DIFFERENT TIMES in the mail. The same dealer said that something has changed with the part number or something like that.

I've had my tractor for a year and a half now. I was supposed to get the seal in the mail within the first week of owning the tractor.........Back then, as the week(s) passed, I said that I wouldn't worry about it for now and that I would get it later................Now, I've GOT to change it because its gotten much worse.....Its almost as bad as my power steering cylinder.

If you can help, AGAIN, please do. I would really appreciate it.

I STILL HAVE NO COMPLAINTS WITH MY TRACTOR. I AM 100% SATISFIED WITH IT.................BUT, If I just HAD to complain it is only 1 complaint...........This darn little ole' $2.00 part that no one can seem to get. But without this part, I can't keep oil in my transmission.............I'm not here to blame Mahindra, the dealers that I spoken to, or Joe Blow down the road. Its not a big issue, I just think that within a year and half that this should have been resolved by now (not by me putting off to replace it, just the dealers being able to get it.)

Hope to hear from ya',

Travis

/ Power Steering Cylinder #5  
Travis

I believe I have come up with 2 possible part numbers for the seal. 005551797R91 if the shaft on your tractor is solid and 005553966R91 if it has a hollow shaft. I hope this will help you out.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia NY 14020
585-343-0770

If the shaft is hollow or solid????? I don't quite understand what you are talking about???? How can I tell which one it is????

Travis

/ Power Steering Cylinder #7  
Travis.

I have never seen a 485. as Mahindra's were only introduced to us in the northeast about 6 years ago. The parts book listed one seal to be used on a solid shaft and one to be used on a hollow shaft. I mean the shaft that goes into the transmission housing. I would think if you look at the end of the shaft you could see if it is hollow or solid. Good luck with it.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia NY 14020
585-343-0770

Mr. Galen,

Did you get my Private Message I just sent tou you?

GOOD NEWS!

Thanks Singleton Sales & Service, Lawall's Tractor and Musa Marketing for the support.

I ordered my power steering cylinder re-build kit last Friday from my dealer, Singleton Sales & Service in Franklinton, LA (I have said it many times on here and i'll say it again: VERY VERY NICE PEOPLE TO DO BUSINESS WITH........MIKE AND BUDDY ARE REAL GOOD PEOPLE........BOTH TRY REAL HARD, ALONG WITH MR. JAMES AND KENNY)......The kit costs $110 dollars plus tax and shipping charges...........Thats how I like to do business........They trust me, the customer, enough to send payment AFTER I get the items they ship to me.........Thats how we've always done it since I started doing business with them........But I am fixing to get my own debit card, so that will be changing.....They will be able to get their money in advance now.......

But anyway, enough about my personal stuff......................I got a packag in the mail today from UPS.........It had a lady's name and number on there that was from Mahindra USA in Houston, TX..........(musa marketing probably knows who I'm talking about)......I opened it up and saw a small seal.......I read the invoice and gues what it was?......THE PTO HIGH-LOW RANGE SPEED SELECTOR LEVER SEAL!.........I called Singleton's and talked to Buddy (the nice parts man).......He said that him and Mr. James sat down and figured out that this had to be the correct seal........They had it mailed to me, already paid for by them, direct from Mahindra USA.

I just want to say HATS OFF again to SINGLETON SALES & SERVICE.......I was not expecting anthing like that in the mail, especially not directly from Mahindra.

I JUST want to be sure that this is the correct one because it sure looks like it this time.

Mr. Galen,

The seal does NOT match up with your part numbers though.............The part number that the seal is that was sent to me is 005553967R91.........

Can you or anyone else look this number up and see if its correct BEFORE I tear the old seal out?............I want to make sure it fits so I won't have much 'down' time, even though I am not really using the tractor too much at this time..........I think that I am going to go ahead and bush-hog my last food plot tomorrow before I change the seal, just incase it ain't the right one.

I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYONE'S SUPPORT ON THIS MATTER...........IF IT WASN'T FOR PEOPLE LIKE YA'LL, SOME OF US WOULDN'T KNOW WHAT TO DO.

A BIG, PERSONAL THANK YOU FROM Travis R. tricks@charter.net

Got it today........$123.31 delivered to my door.

Thanks everyone for the support..........

MUSA MARKETING:

You were 100% correct on the part number..........Thanks a lot.

Travis R