Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110 #1  

Dougster

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110 w/509 BH
Looking for experience, suggestions or simply a really good kit for adding front auxiliary hydraulics & control valve to my 2004 Mahindra 4110. The initial intent is to add an aftermarket grapple to the existing FEL bucket or simply to buy a new grapple bucket (exact type yet to be determined). I am wondering if it makes any sense to buy the OEM parts used for the current FEL control valve and control valve mounting on the right side and adapt it to the top left side of the FEL. That would make for a very professional, user-friendly, clean looking installation and would even allow for more complex applications later. Some of the auxiliary control valves I've seen added on look kinda... well... added on! :)

Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated! :)

Dougster

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110
Dougster said:
Looking for experience, suggestions or simply a really good kit for adding front auxiliary hydraulics & control valve to my 2004 Mahindra 4110. The initial intent is to add an aftermarket grapple to the existing FEL bucket or simply to buy a new grapple bucket (exact type yet to be determined). I am wondering if it makes any sense to buy the OEM parts used for the current FEL control valve and control valve mounting on the right side and adapt it to the top left side of the FEL. That would make for a very professional, user-friendly, clean looking installation and would even allow for more complex applications later. Some of the auxiliary control valves I've seen added on look kinda... well... added on! :) Any and all suggestions greatly appreciated! :) Dougster

Wow! :( Dead silence. :( I guess nobody here has added front aux hydraulics... or maybe the subject has been beat into the ground in the past. Or maybe it's something you just turn over to the dealership and pay the freight (whatever it is)! :confused:

I will say that it became obvious fast in the light of day that the existing FEL control valve bracket cannot be easily adapted to the left side for possible grapple control valve use... and, therefore, it probably makes no sense either to duplicate the expensive, complicated FEL control valve just for uniformity. So much for this brilliant idea. :rolleyes:

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Surely someone has added a front grapple to a Mahindra. Can I really be the first??? :(

Dougster

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110 #3  
Are you looking for an individual spool valve or a diverter that operates off of the loader valve curl spool?

Recently there have been plenty of posts in other TBN forums that describe the options available to you for hydraulics to control a grapple or similar implement. Your Mahindra is no different than any other tractor when it comes to the choices available to you. Do a search for "grapple", "third function", "diverter", or "WR Long" and settle in for a night of reading.

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110 #4  
doug i added front hyd to my old 2810 but i can't find the pics,i'm planning to add the same 3 spool valve to my 4110 as soon as i get time.i'll add the valve
to the post that is there

MadReferee said:
Are you looking for an individual spool valve or a diverter that operates off of the loader valve curl spool? Recently there have been plenty of posts in other TBN forums that describe the options available to you for hydraulics to control a grapple or similar implement. Your Mahindra is no different than any other tractor when it comes to the choices available to you. Do a search for "grapple", "third function", "diverter", or "WR Long" and settle in for a night of reading.

Thanks for the reply. My intention was to add a brand new control valve, but maybe I need to understand more about how well the grapple could function off the curl spool. I have seen that talked about, but it seemed it would limit the positions/operation of the grapple in tight or unusual situations. Or am I mixing up that option with some other "no new valve required" approach? Still, if it saves a bundle and gets me going faster... maybe I should explore that option further.

I guess you are right. My need is not particularly brand-specific. Time to go explore the other forums for more ideas. Thanks! :)

Dougster

jpm said:
doug i added front hyd to my old 2810 but i can't find the pics, i'm planning to add the same 3 spool valve to my 4110 as soon as i get time. i'll add the valve to the post that is there

Thanks for the reply! I'd like to see that! Do you have a valve manufacturer or part number?

Dougster

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110 #7  
We have done quite a few when adding grapples and 4 way snow plows, both electrontic diverter and manual valve. WR Long has a kit for the grapples we sell that they build. Either way you do it electronic or manual you can split the curl dump circut from the loader valve and switch between your curl and dump or your 3rd function(grapple open and close) or (left & right on a 4 way plow).

/ Adding Aux Hydraulics to a Mahindra 4110 #8  
Here is a recent thread on adding a solenoid diverter valve for operating a bucket grapple. It may be of interest to you.
ADDING A GRAPPLE AND VALVE
MadReferee helped me get started and I did all the grapple installation, valve and hose plumbing myself. It has reference to the components I used.
Hope that helps.

johnsonauto said:
We have done quite a few when adding grapples and 4 way snow plows, both electrontic diverter and manual valve. WR Long has a kit for the grapples we sell that they build. Either way you do it electronic or manual you can split the curl dump circut from the loader valve and switch between your curl and dump or your 3rd function(grapple open and close) or (left & right on a 4 way plow).

This diverter arrangement sounds fine! Looks good too... I checked it out on-line. Sounds like I need to take a ride down to Connecticut and visit you folks. I see you are only 2 hours away according to Yahoo Maps! :)

In your opinion, for typical tree, branch, root & rock clean-up work... am I going to be okay installing grapples on my 4110's stock 72" FEL bucket? Or am I better off buying a brand new root rake bucket? I am a bit concerned about the strength of the upper portion of my FEL bucket in regard to installing and using the grapples. I'm betting it would have to be considerably reinforced... yes?

Dougster

3RRL said:
Here is a recent thread on adding a solenoid diverter valve for operating a bucket grapple. It may be of interest to you.
ADDING A GRAPPLE AND VALVE
MadReferee helped me get started and I did all the grapple installation, valve and hose plumbing myself. It has reference to the components I used.
Hope that helps.

Ha!!! :D Son of a gun if I didn't just find the same thread Googling based on JohnsonAuto's post! :) It certainly looks like this is the way to go. My grapple project is suddenly back on a front burner again!!! :)

For all the research I tried to do earlier... a few key words were obviously missing. I was starting to doubt the practicality (and affordability) of this critical component to my new business plan. Many thanks to you folks for taking the time to point the way! ;)

Dougster