6000 to 7520: should I do it?

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
I am considering moving up to a 7520 from my 6000 4wd, and wondering if anyone else has done it, and if so, what have you found to be the major differences?
I have gotten use to my 6000 and know how it will handle loads, hills, etc. The 7520 seems to have a higher center of gravity, therefore wondering if it is more suseptable to tip over.

Also, wondering what my 6000 4wd with 400 hrs in good shape can expect to bring. It has canopy, rear wheel weights, front weights, grill guard, and loader with 72" bucket.

I have a 511 backhoe as well. Not many hrs on it at all. Do not think the sub frame from my 6000 will fit on 7520, and Mahindra shows it as different part number. But, should I sell the 6000 w/hoe, and buy a new one, or should I sell the whole unit? Does the 511 have a differenent set up now than they did with the early 6000, or would the switch over be easy? I do not have a pto pump and was told it is not available for the 7520 due to the high gpms of the 7520, it that true, and will it run the hoe at peak performance and not over heat the hyd fluid?

Also, does anyone know if my wheel weights on the 6000 will fit on the 7520?

Price of new 7520 about 23k and loader about 5100; great, good, or ok prices?

Thanks.

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #2  
Slippy, couple of things: 1. 7520 has the same engine as the 6000 except it has a small boost turbo so this is a plus as you already know the in/outs of the 6000 engine. 2. I'd keep the BH and get a subframe for the 7520, if you go that route. This is also a plus as you don't have many hours on the hoe. If the 511 needs a new bracket to hook up with the 7520 (hoe to subframe), the cost shouldn't be a showstopper (as well as I remember when I put my 511 together there are only 4 bolts that hold the connecting bracket to the hoe). I'm not sure about the wheel weighs as the 7520 has 30" wheels (I think) and the 6000 has 28" wheels. This to me is a toss up as someone out there with a 4500/5500/6000 will probably be able to take those off your hands..... Here's my take on this whole thing: If you WANT a new tractor, if you have the financial means then by ALL MEANS, get it!! BUT: Your 6000 is hardly broken in, I've not had hardly a minutes problem with mine (albeit I only have 250 hrs on mine, but they've been WORKING hours). I'm personally not ready to go for another tractor as I've not found ANYTHING that I can't do with this one (mind you I have a couple of Farmalls that we do light stuff with such as pull wagons, cut grass, plow gardens, etc). By all means though, keep the hoe if its a good one! Good luck on your choice(s). BobG in VA

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #3  
My 6000 has about the same hours as yours and is an 03. I was offered $15000 trade in on a 7010 cab. If that's all you can get I'm sure you'll come to the same conclusion I did, wait until you can buy the new tractor and keep the old one.
On the hoe, I'm sure the 511 and seperate tank are similar to ones that I have seen. Surely the setup could be converted to work with 7520 and new subframe. Then you could obtain a patent and get rich. Well probably not on the rich part.
Good luck on whatever you choose!

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it?
Thanks for the imput. Yea, I don't really know what to do. The pros include new tractor, more hp, more pto hp, creature features. Cons are price, but for the need for more pto hp the 6000 can do anything I have asked, I don't think I can get the whole rig w bh on my trailer with the 7520. It just fits now and I think the 7520 is 7.5 inches longer, but I don't think it is wider. If it was just a new tractor issue I suppose I could go to the 6520, but it begs the issue of more PTO hp...not getting much more with that move, just spending money.

Also, dealers I have spoken with don't want to take my 6000 on trade. What does that tell you?
Any other thoughts?

Last edited:
   / 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #5  
it tells me keep the 6000 and take the wife out for a dinner ,you'll come out waaayyy a head;)

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #6  
I really agree with taking the wife to dinner suggestion.
Other than the bells and whistles the 6000 and 6500 tractors should do as well as the 20 series tractors. i test drove a 7520 recently it was a tighter turn and a smother running tractor. i test drove a 6000 and a 6500 i was impressed with the awesomeness of these robust tractors. i have alot of woods work to do, need the robustness. my new 6500 will be delivered this week. i was going to buy the 6000 but there was only a few hundred difference, not a few thousands. i believe in best value. keep your 6000, chill, and treat your wife as much as you can.
michelle

Very good advice, and if you were to talk to my wife I trust she would tell you that i do take very good care of her, and that has always had priority.
That being said, I also see that Mahindra has $1500 cash back and a $600 discount on the 7520 if you buy by the end of the year. Anyone know how this works? I suppose that if I bring it up to the dealer they will tell me they have already discounted it, or is that something directly from Mahindra after the sale?

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #8  
Slippy said:
Also, dealers I have spoken with don't want to take my 6000 on trade. What does that tell you?
Any other thoughts?

I personally am sort of fond of the 7010 cab myself. If I were ever to sneak up on the right deal...

On your dealer not taking your 6000 in trade, is he a small dealer? If so, it could be cash flow related. Most new tractors are floor planned whereas the dealer has to pay cash out of his company for any used units. There may be exceptions, but most financial institutions will not floor plan used units. This situation is unfortunate and often leaves an "I'm stuck with it" feeling. You may try another larger dealer.

/ 6000 to 7520: should I do it? #9  
Slippy, are you happy with your 6000? If so get the turbo kit from the 7520 and you will have your extra hp. Just a thought.

Ah...ok, never thought of that, is that possible? Hood design, exhaust, etc.?
But to answer your question, yes and no. Tractor has been a real work horse. Happy with its performance, but getting tired of the hard reverser lever after an all day work project, and dodging the shifters, etc getting on and off.
I have been working the numbers some more and thinking about standardizing my set ups. Will do a seperate post, but you might know this. I have a TC40ss with quick attach and the 6000 w/o QA. If I kept my 6000, does Mahindra's QA work the same as New Holland? I want to be able to switch out bail spear, buckets, and other front end attachments. I have also been reading about the Millionzi, and would that be compatable with both tractors?