ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity?

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #1  

Dougster

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110 w/509 BH
Having finally decided that I want a fully separate unit, I am looking to buy a root/rock grapple by next month for my 4110 with ML112 FEL. I am focusing in on the full-sized (72") Millonzi and Versatech units as they are what's available to me without having to drive to Texas. :D

I am finding that the heavy-duty units can be *very* heavy (850+ lbs) while the light-duty units appear somewhat flimsy for serious log and rock work. This has caused me to focus on the ML112's real net lift capacity to see if a full-size, heavy-duty unit is practical. According to my owner's manual and Mahindra's published data, the "lift capacity to full height at pivot pins" of the ML112 is 1,972 pounds.

First Question: Is this 1972 pounds a gross lifting capacity including stock bucket weight? Or is this a net lifting capacity above and beyond the bucket weight?

Second Question: Does anyone know the ML112's stock bucket weight? Does anyone care to guess? I have never seen it published or mentioned anywhere.

Third question: If a full-sized, heavy-duty, root/rock grapple does leave me too marginal on net lift capacity, am I better off going to a smaller width heavy-duty grapple? Or should I go to a full-size light-duty grapple? Or should I really consider buying both for different functions? This latter option seems somewhat self-defeating as the lighter-duty units generally have wider tooth spacing... actually reducing their effectiveness for many lighter-duty uses.

My main uses will be log, stump and rock removals together with general post-storm/post-construction debris clean-up. As always, all input & opinions are greatly appreciated! :)

Dougster

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #2  
Dougster, I believe that your lifting capacity is with out bucket at pins. I would guess that your bucket weighs 2-300 lbs. Check out some more manufacturers. There are many on the east coast.

Goodluck

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity?
MtnViewRanch said:
Dougster, I believe that your lifting capacity is with out bucket at pins. I would guess that your bucket weighs 2-300 lbs. Check out some more manufacturers. There are many on the east coast. Good luck

Hi Brian. Oh boy, I sure hope you are wrong. :( That wouldn't leave me much lifting capacity with an 850 lb Millonzi heavy-duty grapple installed. [I was secretly hoping the ML112 was rated 1,972 pounds lbs net *after* accounting for the bucket and that the bucket weighed at least 500 pounds!!!] :D

What's your feeling on reducing width to save weight? Or will I be better off with a full-sized, lighter-duty rated grapple?

Dougster

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #4  
Attachment width used for specification 72"

Attachment rated capacity used for specification 14.0 cu. ft.

The way its worded in the spec I copied from MahindraUSA seems like it could be interpeted that the specs were written with the bucket attached and bucket weight included. I would call or e-mail Mahindra and/or KMW to find out. My ML108H is rated for (I think) 1020lbs at the pivot pins. I actually weighed the dirt in a full bucket at 990lbs+ (I spilled a little). I was curious and had time to kill one day. Curiosity satisfied, it lifts to spec.

shvl73 said:
Attachment width used for specification 72"
Attachment rated capacity used for specification 14.0 cu. ft.

The way its worded in the spec I copied from MahindraUSA seems like it could be interpeted that the specs were written with the bucket attached and bucket weight included. I would call or e-mail Mahindra and/or KMW to find out. My ML108H is rated for (I think) 1020lbs at the pivot pins. I actually weighed the dirt in a full bucket at 990lbs+ (I spilled a little). I was curious and had time to kill one day. Curiosity satisfied, it lifts to spec.

Since "dirt" weighs between 90 and 125 lbs per cubic foot... that 14 cubic foot capacity (if intended to represent or be consistent with lift capacity in lbs) would be right around 1,400 to 1,500 lbs. Against the 1,972 lb rating of the ML112, one would come to the conclusion that 1,972 was maybe gross and 1,400 to 1,500 was net... yes?

But it sounds like this conclusion is not consistent with your own experience wherein you were able to lift your FEL's full published capacity. Hmmmmmm. :confused:

Dougster

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #6  
We have measured them lifting just a tad under 2000#. We measured using a hydraulic pull scale by leaving the bucket in place and placing chains at the pivot pins, or as near to them as possible. The bucket weighs less than 300#. It would be nice to get a root rake grapple at around 500-700#. The WR Long RBG72 (6 foot) weighs 665# and is built well. We've put them on 40HP machines with no problems.

DavesTractor said:
We have measured them lifting just a tad under 2000#. We measured using a hydraulic pull scale by leaving the bucket in place and placing chains at the pivot pins, or as near to them as possible. The bucket weighs less than 300#. It would be nice to get a root rake grapple at around 500-700#. The WR Long RBG72 (6 foot) weighs 665# and is built well. We've put them on 40HP machines with no problems.

Hi Dave. Thanks very much for this info... very helpful! This pretty much verifies scientifically that the advertised 1,972 lbs is a net lift rating. :) On the other hand, the bucket being under 300 pounds, which really doesn't surprise me, means that the Millonzi heavy-duty root/rock grapple would leave me with a net lift capacity of only 1,400 lbs (+/-). :( That's a bit lower than I'd like. I want some good margin when moving logs and large rocks.

Despite the weight issue, I think I'd still like to get a "bucket-style" grapple (even if it means going narrower)... kind of a root/rock bucket with twin grapple thumbs added... as opposed to the scissors-style. Part of it is my novice status (bucket=easier?) and part of it is my desire for the most rugged, heavy-duty rock mover possible.

The trick will obviously be to find the best trade-off.

Dougster

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #8  
If the ML112 can lift the 1972# at the pivot pins as advertised, will the rear tires lift off the ground if the lift capacity is exceeded, or will it just not be able to lift the load?

The reason I ask... I was trying to move the root ball end of a down tree the other day and was not able to lift it. I have no ballast in the rear tires, but I did have a 500# Woods blade on the rear.

Was I expecting to much?
Should something have come off the ground (tree or tractor)?
Just curious, this is the first FEL tractor i have owned, and was wondering about the lift capacity myself.

Joe

GIJOE said:
If the ML112 can lift the 1972# at the pivot pins as advertised, will the rear tires lift off the ground if the lift capacity is exceeded, or will it just not be able to lift the load? The reason I ask... I was trying to move the root ball end of a down tree the other day and was not able to lift it. I have no ballast in the rear tires, but I did have a 500# Woods blade on the rear. Was I expecting to much? Should something have come off the ground (tree or tractor)? Just curious, this is the first FEL tractor i have owned, and was wondering about the lift capacity myself. Joe

Hi Joe - Lord knows I am not the expert on this, but I believe that should be the hydraulic/mechanical lifting capability of the ML112 FEL independent of tractor and/or tractor weights/attachments. On my 4110 w/509 BH, I have never tried to lift anything it couldn't lift (although not necessarily always going to maximum height or anywhere near maximum capacity). It's never seemed light in the rear end to me, although the 509 BH no doubt helps substantially in that regard. I do not have loaded tires... yet! :)

Dougster

/ ML112 FEL Bucket Weight / Lift Capacity? #10  
GIJOE said:
If the ML112 can lift the 1972# at the pivot pins as advertised, will the rear tires lift off the ground if the lift capacity is exceeded, or will it just not be able to lift the load?

The reason I ask... I was trying to move the root ball end of a down tree the other day and was not able to lift it. I have no ballast in the rear tires, but I did have a 500# Woods blade on the rear.

Was I expecting to much?
Should something have come off the ground (tree or tractor)?
Just curious, this is the first FEL tractor i have owned, and was wondering about the lift capacity myself.

Joe

If the weight is too heavy for the loader it will not lift the item you are trying to move. I don't know what that weight is for the ML 112, but I have had this happen a number of times. Sheer pounds isn't the only factor, as there are a lot of physics issues at work when you lift something.