I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help!

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #1  

2whlrcr

Tractor
None
I need some advise from you tractor experts. First off, I have never owned or driven anything larger than a garden tractor. I'm a city boy who is moving onto a large acreage with horses. My life has turned upside down, ever since the S.O. got a "free" horse. Now we have bought a horse farm.

I'm not sure where to start, so I may ramble a bit. I see my needs as being able to mow 4-8 acres of pasture occasionally. Also trail mowing in rolling timber and pasture. 100 acres of land with plenty of hilly timber and streams to cross. Most of the trails will be on the flats or straight up moderate grades, so I don't forsee much side hill mowing. I will not need a finishing mower, I have a garden tractor for that.

Snow removal. I've got a lane about 1/8 mile long with some parking areas.

The horses. We've got two and may expand to four or six, if we take on borders. My initial thought is we will hand muck the stalls and maybe load into the tractor, dump into the manure pile or spreader on a daily basis. I do not anticipate using the tractor to actually clean the stalls. I see this as my main needs, plus what ever odds jobs that will need to be done.

I also don't anticipate a lot of repetitious loader work. But I will have to move manure and I'm sure the occassional dirt and brush piles.

At first it was suggested I needed a 45hp compact tractor. I started looking around and have determined they might be physically too big? Plus I'm not sure if I need the horsepower. I want something that I can get into the barn, indoor riding arena and manuever around buildings easily. Plus I want to keep some sections of the trail narrow and have to squeeze between trees.

I originally looked only at the big three. Of those I think I have narrowed it to the N.H. TC34 or the Case DX34. The N.H. sales guy had me convinced I need supersteer. Then I started reading negatives on how the loader swings to the opposite direction when initiating a turn. Might not be good for me, since I could be in tight spaces and have little experience. Plus everybody seems to be content with the turning radius of their non supersteer tractors. And then there's the price..............

Which brings me to the Mahindra forum. I have two Mahindra dealers and two Branson dealers within about 50 miles of me. My biggest concern is I want dealer and parts support for at least twenty years or more, one of the reasons I looked at the big guys initially. I am interested in the Bransons too, but I posted in this forum, because it seems there are people with knowledge of both and the Mahindra forum is more active.

Since the N.H. TC34 is $21,000+ loaded, I'm wanting to spend less. At first I was convinced I needed hydrostatic too, but I am not sure now. I have driven nothing buy manuals in my vehicles for the last 20 years, but not on a tractor. The closest Mahindra dealer has a 3215HST on the lot and I see you can get a geared model too. The Branson I'm looking at is the 3510, but the dealer claims that a hydro is coming out.

I have not been quoted a price on the Mahindra and the Branson 3510 was $16,500 with the loader. Is there a significant quality difference between the Bransons and Mahindras and how do those two compare to the N.H./Case? Maybe I should be looking at different models? I think that's enough questions for now and I appreciate any comments or insight.

Thanks
A Reluctant Horse Farmer

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #2  
I'm kinda new at this too, and I looked a many tractors and decided on the 3215HST. A couple of reasons the 3215 shuttle and HST has more lift ability than the Branson 3820 @ 2580 and the Branson 3510 @ 2140 the Mahindra 3215 will lift 2646 lbs which doesn't seem like alot extra til you hang a post hole digger and the 3 point can't lift it out then every little bit counts. I also went with the HST even through I perferred the shuttle shift, because I can't seem the keep the wife off from it and the HST is a no brainer. Also the Mahindra engine is a Mitsubishi Turbo and I don't believe the Branson is. Plus, and the biggest plus was dealer support, everyone I spoke with has had great support from thier dealer. The are several experts on here and they'll probally give you some better advise. Also Mahindra may start importing SUV's in 2008 that has a 2.6 liter diesel. I believe it is called the SCORPION. Good luck on the tractor.

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #3  
As I read your post, the 3215 was what came to mind. It was great find that you had already found that option. I think it would be perfect for you.

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #4  
I'm not a Mahindra owner and am not very familiar with their models, but I can say that 30-35 HP would be a good place for you to start because you will be amazed at how many other tasks/jobs you'll find a tractor is good for. I originally got mine (30HP Kubota) to do the very jobs you're describing. Since then I've found it very handy to move temporary fence sections around (pallet forks), install/repair fencing (post-hole digger), even bury wire (sub-soiler). My wife has had the horses since we got married 15 years ago but I only got the tractor two years ago - I had no idea what fun I was missing!

So, I guess not knowing the Mahindra line, my only advice can be: go a little bigger than you initially think you'll need. Now that a chipper is on the way, I traded my 30 for a 50 in roughly the same footprint.

Have fun!

-Brian

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #5  
I'd be looking for a leftover 3015 HST! Doesn't sound to me like you need more than 30 hp.

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #6  
Just an fyi, I have pricing on the 3215H at $18K with loader and 3215G at $17K with loader. If you can get by with the 3525, it's around $14K with loader. Hope this helps.

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help!
jwcinpk said:
I'd be looking for a leftover 3015 HST! Doesn't sound to me like you need more than 30 hp.

I noticed the PTO horsepower is rated at 24hp. Will this be enough for a 5' rotary cutter? I'll be cutting primarily tall grass, weeds, rose bushes and not much in the way of sapplings. Initially I may have a tall cut, but after that, just maintaining it. I do like to mow quickly though.

Could it handle a 6' if I choose to?

Thanks

heymack said:
Just an fyi, I have pricing on the 3215H at $18K with loader and 3215G at $17K with loader. If you can get by with the 3525, it's around $14K with loader. Hope this helps.

I see the 3525 is two wheel drive and I want to stick with 4x4.

Thanks.

/ I'm Completely Lost in What Tractor to Buy? Help! #9  
2whlrcr said:
I noticed the PTO horsepower is rated at 24hp. Will this be enough for a 5' rotary cutter? I'll be cutting primarily tall grass, weeds, rose bushes and not much in the way of sapplings. Initially I may have a tall cut, but after that, just maintaining it. I do like to mow quickly though.

Could it handle a 6' if I choose to?

Thanks

5' would be just fine. 6' would really be pushing it at that HP. One other thing to consider - how wide is the tractor, including tires, relative to the 5'? That was an unanticipated problem with my 30HP Kubota on R4 tires - more than 5' wide and I couldn't get as close to the fence as I wanted!

-Brian

n8wrl said:
5' would be just fine. 6' would really be pushing it at that HP. One other thing to consider - how wide is the tractor, including tires, relative to the 5'? That was an unanticipated problem with my 30HP Kubota on R4 tires - more than 5' wide and I couldn't get as close to the fence as I wanted!

-Brian

I believe most of the tractors I'm looking at are in the 60'-65' range with R4's. So I may not be able to get too close either. Since I'm not doing any finish mowing, I have thought about going with Ag tires for the extra traction in the woods and creek crossings? A bonus may be a slightly narrower width?