Mahindra engine

/ Mahindra engine #1  

cdover73

Silver Member
Tractor
2006 Mahindra 4530
I have a 4530 and I have to ask. If Mahindra makes the engines for these tractors, why do they look and sound so much like a Perkins?

/ Mahindra engine #2  
I know I read it somewhere and asked the local dealer a while back when I went to look at the 4530. He said the engine was a Perkins/Shibaura 3 cylinder, but I could never find out exactly which engine it was. It would make sense since I believe a Mahindra assembly plant and a Perkins plant are in Georgia, but that may just be a coincidence.

I believe the smaller Mahindras use the Daedong engine.

/ Mahindra engine #3  
Gentlemen, the '00 series engines (and I assume the 4530 as well as the 7520, etc) are completely built by Mahindra in India. The parent engine (00 series 3 and 4 cyl) were specifically designed by AVL in Austria for Mahindra. AVL has been building diesels for quite some time (I'm thinkin' pre WWII). It is entirely possible that Perkins (also Euro) copied some of the AVL designs way back when.....I'm just hoping that the Mahindra engines are as good as their designs.

/ Mahindra engine #4  
brbob said:
I believe the smaller Mahindras use the Daedong engine.

Many of the smaller Mahindras (specifically the 15 series; 2015, 2615, 2815, 3015, 3215, etc.) use Mitsubishi engines.

BR