Glow Plug Problem?

/ Glow Plug Problem? #1  

mike45tx

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3510/FEL
My 3510 will not start in the mornings. Last week was 35- 40 degrees in the morning. The glow plug light on the dash comes on and after a few seconds I hear a click, then after a few more seconds the light goes out.The engine spins and blows grayish white smoke, but does not fire.I had to give it a shot of ether to get it to start, something I do not like use.I'm thinking maybe a bad glow plug.Anybody know an easy way to check the plugs?

Thanks
Mike

/ Glow Plug Problem? #2  
Unhook the connection bar between the glow lugs and check for continuity between the terminal on the plug and the engine block. You should have continuity. Keep us posted as to what you find.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY
585-343-0770

/ Glow Plug Problem?
Galen,
All three glow plugs showed continuity between them and the block. I also did not get 12V on either wire that goes to the connection bar when I turned the ign. to preheat.Light on the dash comes on and the solenoid activates.Possible timer gone bad?

Thanks
Mike

/ Glow Plug Problem? #4  
mike45tx said:
Galen,
Possible timer gone bad?
Thanks, Mike

Is there a fuse in that circuit? I'd check the easy stuff (like fuses) first.
Fred

/ Glow Plug Problem? #5  
Mike or anayone else, My 3510 is doing the exact same thing. I was wondering what was determined to be the ultimate cause for the problem described or what else it might be other than glow plugs?

/ Glow Plug Problem? #6  
Fredex said:
Is there a fuse in that circuit? I'd check the easy stuff (like fuses) first.
Fred
Did not get light on dash, checked fuse which looked good but changed anyway (5 amp), now working , just a suggestion

/ Glow Plug Problem? #7  
Mike,
I had the same thing happen on my 4110. There is a link ( I think it's called a fuseable link in the owner manual) that looks like a jumper wire. It was broke down in the connector so look closely at it. Also, you might want to check the glow plug solenoid. Mine was sticking and that's why the link burnt out in the first place.

Hope this helps:) .

David

/ Glow Plug Problem? #8  
probably your glow plug timer or relay switch has expired:(

check your manual where its located, and replace it.

Ernies Imports

/ Glow Plug Problem?
The battery cable clamps had to be replaced. After several hours of checking wires,fuses,pulling the dash out and checking the relay I still had the same problem. My dad started tracing wires and checking grounds.He found a single wire left off the hot side of the battery.Put it back on and everything works fine. I was thinking about firing the maintenance man,but it sure is a hard thing to do to myself.Good lesson learned about paying attention and not being in a hurry!

Mike

/ Glow Plug Problem? #10  
glad its up and running again,
maybe you dont pay the maintanance man enough ?:D

Ernie