Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia?

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #1  

FIREFIGHTER6CO6

I have been looking for a Mahindra Dealer in Northern VA the DC area, I haven't been able to find one, the only dealerships is 2 hours away. Anyone local, my local deere dealer (3 miles down the road) won't service mahindra if I buy one. Any help will be nice.

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #3  
FIREFIGHTER6CO6 said:
I have been looking for a Mahindra Dealer in Northern VA the DC area, I haven't been able to find one, the only dealerships is 2 hours away. Anyone local, my local deere dealer (3 miles down the road) won't service mahindra if I buy one. Any help will be nice.

Used to be one in Bealeton. He was my dealer. He retired. Looks like the nearest (read as easiest) would be Ashland, VA down 95. He also sells Massey Ferg. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #4  
FIREFIGHTER6CO6 said:
Just out of curiosity, and I'm not picking on you or the brand, but why would you (or anyone) consider buying a tractor that there was no local support for? And further, why would you (or anyone) consider buying an expensive piece of equipment that he didn't have a dealer for so therefore had not been able to see/sit on/feel/test the machine?

I've always thought this was curious. I see it in a lot of threads for many brands. People put a brand on their "short list" based on some criteria (I presume it to be advertising?) but then they have a difficult time actually seeing the brand, buying the brand, and servicing the brand but it still remains on the list of brands they are considering.

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #5  
Bob_Skurka said:
[/I], but why would you (or anyone) consider buying a tractor that there was no local support for?

Gee Bob you should know this by now. Because Mahindras are the best of course :). Sorry couldn't resist.

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #6  
Tim, reasonable answer. But my question was far more open and general.

As stated, I've seen it in many of the threads all around TBN, even the Green, Orange and Blue ones. It usually goes something like "I want a XXXX brand but can't find a dealer to try one out"

My question is simple, how do you know that is what you want, or why would you consider it if you can't even find one to try?

I mean no disrespect here, just curious. Heck I've asked the same thing about Harley Davidson. Seriously why does it seem that every 40-ish year old accountant, dentist, etc have to have a Harley and why do they pass over other American icon brands like Indian? Or Victory? Is it word of mouth? Advertising? What?

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #7  
i've been "ridin" for over 40 years and I don't consider Indian (as it was resurrected) or Victory to be "Icons". Have ridden many HDs but wouldn't own one. Had 650 Triumphs and 650 Yamahas (what the Bonneville should have been). By the way, I never got to test ride any new motorcycle before I bought it. Just the way the business is...I suppose thats where the tractor issue is. You decide what it is that YOU want and then get it. BobG in VA

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #8  
BobG_in_VA said:
By the way, I never got to test ride any new motorcycle before I bought it.

Bob,

I can remember either here or on another forums that this was brought up about how a person can buy something unseen. In fact I beleive Bob S was involved with it also. Bob buys a lot of trucks, so do I, and we buy them unseen. We get bids from reputable people and say, order it. I even do that for my personal vehicles. In your case even though you did not test drive the one you buy, you probable were on a bike somewhat similar to what you ordered, you kind of knew what you were getting. And in each of our cases we bought from dealers within an area that was acceptable for service.

Now if the original poster had previous experience with Mahindra (or insert another brand) then it might be a different scenario, but Bob's comment was buying from a dealer so far away and not having local support, "Why would anyone want to do that?" I can buy a Ford pickup or car 4 hundred miles away the local dealer will take care of it, but if I buy a tractor 4 hundred miles away your support if there is a local dealer might not be good or if no dealer at all you won't have any support.

murph

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #9  
Murph, I think the difference between your truck fleet, my truck fleet and someone buying a tractor is that you and I buy vehicles every year that we have experience with. A long distance tractor purchase may not have that luxury of experience with the same/similar model.

If I buy a new GMC or International, I spec it out with a specific Allison transmission that I already own and have experience with. I spec out the engines we already have in our fleet. I'd guess that you do the same. So it is pretty easy to buy a truck, and even a car for the fleet that is sight unseen. We are essentially buying "known" quantitites. And even if it is a new model vehicle, we are buying something that we will have serviced by a local source, so again, if the new model to our fleets is not quite the same, at least the service guys are nearby.

When buying a tractor, unless it is dramatically different from most other tractors (for example a Power Trac articulated tractor) then there is a lot to be said about sitting in and testing the tractor, as well as reasonably local service and support. . . that can vary by region of the country. What is considered "local" in one area may be a very long drive in another area!

/ Mahindra Dealer in Northern Virginia? #10  
As some may recall I was THE big proponent of hands on dealer face to face negotiating and purchasing. Still am. I understand the point that if you already have established certain criteria with a known dealer and brand/make then purchasing is a more impersonal and pre-determined process.The referenced thread was originally about calling on a price and getting no reply but led to a similar discussion as this one.

The thing that amazed me was how many people thought I was insane for actually going to the dealership and test driving the tractor and negotiating on the spot as apposed to calling on the phone. I was pretty much on my own with that line of thought and I never really understood why people thought it was an arcane idea. They thought I should have been buying on EBAY or strictly pricing over the phone. No way man, not me, not ever. I need to see it, smell it, drive it and then beat up the sales guy for the price. That's the fun of it all. At least for me anyhow.

I would find a brand AND a dealer you like within 50 miles or less and take a visit. Talk to the sales guy and feel him out. Also don't be afraid to ask for references from other people he's sold to. Follow up and see how they were treated. It makes no difference in the long run how much you saved on your purchase if you have lousy dealer support. Whatever brand you decide on you need to make that a very high priority. I know this has been said a thousand times on this site but for the newby folks it can't hurt to say it again IMHO of course.:)