2015HST

/ 2015HST #1  

shawnt

Hi,

First post after reading hundreds of threads here. Great site.

I've been researching and test driving 20 hp class tractors. The search for a variety of reasons has narrowed to the 2015HST or a Kioti CK20HST. I believe both are great little tractors and I would be satisfied with either, except:

I operated a 2015 gear and a 2015HST last friday. At just above idle the gear would spin the tires (in 4 wheel drive) when pushing against an immovable object. The HST would not. I understand how the HST works and have years of experience operating all types of equipment from farm tractors as a kid to D10 cats, 245 excavators etc etc. I eased the the HST loader bucket up against a pile of rock and backed off the pedal a little. The wheels spun maybe an 1/8th of a turn and that was it. Back off to neutral, ease on the pedal again and no spin. Yes the trans was in low range. The engine was at full throttle and wasn't significantly lugging. The drive train just stalled out. The 2015 gear would dig holes all day long in the exact same place. A similar test with the Kioti HST would also spin the tires and dig holes until backed off.

So, those of you who have 2015HST's, is this normal? Is there that much horsepower lost in the HST over the gear drive? With the exception of D 8K's which were notoriously underpowered, I've never operated a ground engaging piece of equipment that wouldn't spin the tires against a dead pull or push. Some will lug the engine to stall point but not stall the tires/tracks completely.

A little more information:

The 2015 CST is new (4hrs) but a 04 model that sat for about two years under a sign next to a freeway at the back of the dealer's lot. It was started occasionally when the grass was mowed around it. As the dealer sold 2015's they simply pulled them off the row of tractors on the other side of the lot.

The temp at time of test was about 18 F so I ran the tractor around for about a half hour to warm up the fluids. Loader hydraulics worked fine and it had no difficulty lifting a full bucket of large, heavy broken rock.

The salesman is young and inexperienced and said it simply may not be the tractor for me. I did explain to him I didn't believe the HST was operating correctly and he finally agreed to call the tech people at Mahindra and see what they said. Unfortunately I'm not convinced he will even be able to explain the problem correctly. He did agree that if there is a mechanical problem it will be fixed under warranty.

But back to the question. For those of you you have, sell or work on the 2015's, how do they normally perform in this situation? I seriously doubt this tractor could pull it's way out of a deep, sticky mud hole. As the first major use of the tractor will be moving dirt and broken concrete out of a basement and up a steep ramp a non stalling drive train is of utmost importance.

Now the bottom line, as the tractor is two years old the dealer has discounted it substantially and I don't want to walk away unless the performance I saw is normal. If that's the case I'll buy the more expensive Kioti which I'm sure will do the job. If the problem is mechanical and can be resolved I'll probably buy the 2015. And yes, if I do buy it, I'll immediately change all fluids and filters in order to get rid of any condensation that has collected. I haven't talked to the manager or dealership owner yet as I want to hear about real world experience first.

Thanks for taking the time to read through this long question.

shawnt

/ 2015HST #2  
I just read your post and had to go fire up the 2015hst and give er a try! (Gave me a reason to play a little.) At idle she spins the tires (all four). I have done some digging and trenching with it and I've never had it do what you described. It was also 4 degrees last night and 20 all day today and started fine. By the way there is a guy selling one on these classifieds. I also wrestled with the Kioti / Mahindra choice. Price ended up being the final decision maker.

/ 2015HST #3  
Shawn,
What you are experienceing is not a lack of power but the relief setting on the HST transmission. The relief setting is easily adjustable so your dealer should check the relief pressure on the relief valves, to see if they are on spec. The relief valves are there to protect parts in the tractor. If you try pushing something unmovable and your tires are on good footing you put extra stress on the transmission gears, rear end gears axils and tires. The relief settings are there to keep you from putting stress on these parts, when you are only spin the tires anyway. In a mud hole rest assured the tires will spin. I have found a couple of tractors to have the setting a little low, so it should be checked. Believe me, when I say, that tractor is one heck of a work horse. I hope you understand what I am telling you.

Galen LaWall
Your Mahindra Tractor Dealer
Batavia, NY 14020

/ 2015HST #4  
Go with the Mahindra you will be very very happy.

/ 2015HST #5  
wallace said:
Go with the Mahindra you will be very very happy.

I think that's what Galen was trying to tell him, also. ;)

BR