PTO Seal replacement - Need Help

/ PTO Seal replacement - Need Help #1  

kponds

OK, I am jumping into something new for me and I have no dealers close by to help. I have a minor leak around the PTO shaft of my 4110 (about 200 hours on it. I had a dealer (Red River Tractor) ship me a seal kit for it and I am planning on doing the changeout next weekend. I have never done this and am not sure what to expect but I have done a few seal changeouts on cars and trucks before. At this point I haven't even taken the cover of the seal.

A few specific questions:

1. I assume that I will need to drain out the hydraulic fluid before I do this or I will have a big mess. Please confirm and also let me know how much fluid I can expect to come out. I do have the owners manual but no service manual so I assume I can find the proper location on the tractor to drain the fluid. Please confirm.

2. I have read a couple of posts on other tractors relating to PTO seal changeout. A few indicate the deal will just slide right off while leaving the PTO shaft in place, other indicate the shaft will need to come out of the tractor, the seal replaced, and the shaft returned. Please let me know how I need to go about this.

3. Are there any special tools required to do this job? I have the standard mechanics types tools available but if there is anything out of the ordinary needed please let me know.

Any help and advice would be appreciated before I tackle this job. I can't imagine this being difficult but I want to do this the right way.

/ PTO Seal replacement - Need Help #2  
If you have a way of jacking the rear of the tractor up about 12" and securing it with jack stands you will not have to drain the fluid. Poke into the old seal with a screw driver or seal removal tool and work out the old seal. Probably the inner part of the seal will stay on the shaft. It is easy to think it is part of the shaft so be sure to work the inner part off the shaft also. Lube the inner part of the new seal with grease and the outer with a little silicone sealant. Carefully tap the new seal into place being sure the inner and outer part of the seal both move into place. Tap only lightly moving arround the seal and alternating tapping the inner portion of the seal and outer portion. A seal driver of the right size would even be a better idea. I hope this has been helpful and if you need more help feel free to call me and I will try to explain any gray areas I may have left. Good luck!

/ PTO Seal replacement - Need Help #3  
Mr. Ponds, feel free to call us and you can speak with our mechanic about any questions you may have about replacing the seal.

by the way, sorry about the delay on receiving your part. There was some miscommunication between employees here that delayed your part shipping out.

Thanks, Evan

/ PTO Seal replacement - Need Help
A thanks to all for the advice and especially Red River Tractor for the parts and detailed guidance. I ended up parking the tractor on a slope on my property pointed down the hill and let it sit about 30 minutes. Took off the cover, popped out the seal with a small screwdriver and placed the new on in (after "oiling it") doing a final tapping with a rubber mallet and a 2 x 2.

Changout took about 10 minutes and I was washing up. I thought the job would be pretty easy and it ended up being even easier. Biggest issue was working around the boxblade which I was too lazy to take off.

Again, thanks to all and especially Red River Tractor. You earned my future business.

/ PTO Seal replacement - Need Help #5  
Thanks! Let us know if you need anything else.