Was bored last night so....

/ Was bored last night so.... #1  

bill6

Silver Member
....since the wife was gone, I could get away with this: I went out to the nice heated garage and decided to thoroughly clean the FEL.

The loader for my 3215 is a beefy ML 111, made by KMW in Kansas. Lately I have been using the thing pretty hard --- carrying rocks and boulders, gravel, digging in dirt, etc.

So last night I greased all 12 zerks on the FEL, then went around with paper towels and wiped up the excess. I used close to a whole roll of towels, as over time excess grease collects dust and gets dirty.

Next I raised the loader up high and blocked it for safety. I removed the Markham toothbar, cleaned it, wiped it down with alcohol, then spray painted it for touch-up (I previously had it professionally painted Mahindra Red)

As the paint was drying, I wiped down the entire loader arms, struts, and bucket -- everything, with a damp shop rag. Moving the loader dump, or retract, puts every part in easy reach!

Then there were a few areas where the paint was slightly "scuffed" from rubbing on things while out working. So I used rubbing compound and restored the paint to very shiny. Then the entire thing got a nice wax and buff job. I'm letting the toothbar paint dry for day or so, I will install it tonight.

All this only took 3 1/2 hours, and now it looks beautiful! It was 11:30 pm so I went to sleep (after watching Jay Leno's monologue)

Hey Dougster, too bad several of us don't live closer, we could all get together and have a tractor cleaning party! .........

/ Was bored last night so.... #2  
Sure glad in your list of cleaning you didn't wax the seat ;)

Like they say...If you take care of your tractor,the tractor will take of you"

/ Was bored last night so.... #3  
Afternoon Bill,
Gosh, your makin all the rest of us tractor owners feel real guilty ;) Honestly, I keep my work tractor up to date on oil and grease and lube etc but I kind of forego the squeaky cleaning part ;) Its only gonna get dirty after its next field trip :)

/ Was bored last night so.... #4  
You know, I was really confused when you first came on the board due to the **** cleaning "issues" that you obviously have. However, now, I'm very comfortable with your cleaning all day and well into the night.....you see, your wife is over at my place while you're cleaning.........(LOL). Hope you are having fun with your new toy....I am....BobG in Va

/ Was bored last night so.... #5  
Bob, you wrote what I only thought. Thanks. :)

/ Was bored last night so.... #6  
Hello Bill,
Just a quick question for you since you are the man on cleaning. My tractor sat outside on the dealers lot prior to my purchase, while this is not good, it seems to be a common practice. I noticed on my 2615, there are a few spots of rust forming on some of the frame work. What do you reccomend to take care of this problem?
Thanks for any advice that you can give me.
Sabula Farmer

/ Was bored last night so....
You guys sure enjoy teasing me; oh well I guess it's my own doing...

Hi Sabula. First clean the affected areas with a wet rag. Then take some very fine sandpaper, 800 or 1000 grit (black paper) and carefully sand off any rust. Next, wipe it all down with rubbing alcohol to degrease & clean. Finally, spray the area with a can of Mahindra Gray paint, or equivalent. That should take care of it.

Whenever I wash my tractor with the garden hose, I then drive it at top speed for a ways, to get the water off the wheels, etc. Then I dry the rest with a chamois and compressed air. I don't like parking tractors or cars, with water sitting on them.......

/ Was bored last night so.... #8  
Thank You Sir, I appreciate your help. I went out side today to look at the tractor, and I noticed that a retainer clip for the top right pin on the FEL was not on properly. I looked closer and noticed that its not even on, rather it was just over the pin OUT SIDE the guide slot to hold on the bucket level indicator.

I will contact my dealer tomorow. The pin looks too short, thus the reason for the clip not being on correctly. If I pull the pin, will the hydraulic arm expand? If so will I be able to reinstall the new pin(if required)?

SABULA FARMER

/ Was bored last night so.... #9  
Thomas said:
Sure glad in your list of cleaning you didn't wax the seat ;)

I used Armor All on my bike seat once. That stuff is really slippery!

Bill6,
I wish I got the same amount of satisfaction from cleaning as you do, I'd sure be more popular at home!

/ Was bored last night so.... #10  
I would love to see some pics of that shiny, like new tractor. It must look better than most new tractors on the dealers lots.