Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ?

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #1  

bludev

Tractor
Mahindra 6500 2wd
All,

After waiting for 2.5 weeks for my tractor, it was delivered this morning. It has all of 15 minutes on the meter and the transmision has malfunctioned (to put it nicely). Here's what happened: backed the tractor up to a rotary cutter ... got the 3 point hitch hooked up to the mower, noticed that the shifter was harder than it should have been to get out of reverese ... put the tractor in 3rd gear to go forward and the engine bogged down ... thought the parking brake was on or I had mistakenly put in 3rd high-range, but checked and did not, tried moving the shifter to another gear and the only gear that I could shift to was 4th, engine bogged down when letting the clutch out. Noticed that the when the shifter was in the nuetral position, the tractor wanted to back up (like it was in reverse), although the shifter will not go into the reverse position. So, my assumption is the reverse mechaism in the transmission is screwed up somewhere ... ie, the tractor is pretty much dead in the water right now.
I am maintaing my confidence that these are good tractors and I have just been unlucky. I'm sure the tractor can be fixed but I'm worried that the repairs may be extensive and I'm not sure I want a new tractor that right off the bat has to have extensive surgery.
So my concerns and/or questions are:
1) if the dealer has to split the tractor (I have no idea if that will have to happen), that would qualify as an extensive repair, should I demand a completely new tractor.
2) if and when the problem is fixed and even if it is not extensive, how likely is it to happen again.
3) And has anyone had a similar problem on a "00" 2-wheel drive before.

Thanks for the input,
"slightly dissapointed"

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #2  
take a deep breath and wait for the diagnosis. I am sorry that happened right away. I had only minor problems with mine after delivery. Needed a new hazzard switch and a new air filter sensor.

Be patient and let your dealer take care of you. If they don't resolve it and then some, then go the lemon route. Best of luck with everything.

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #3  
Like was said, Take a deep breath. It is nerve wracking when something we have so much money in messes up especially when it it that new.

Let your dealer take a look. As much as we would all like every tractor purchase to start out smooth, there can be exceptions to every mechanical thing. I am sure that it can be worked out to your expectations and all will be well. Let us know what the problem was when the dealer finds out.

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #4  
Sounds like a shifting fork got stuck somewhere.....that it shouldn't have. It's probably not a hard fix, but certainly shouldn't have happened to a new tractor. Your dealer should be able to fix it at your location....I'd ask him if he can (that way you can see what's happening..)BobG in VA

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #5  
Bludev,

Please give us an update. I have not had a single problem with my 3325 but it only has 14 hours on it. I was in the car business for years and understand every now and again a fluke comes off the assembly line. But our dealership normally found the ones as bad as you describe.

I can't even understand how they got it delivered with the problems you describe.

Don

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ?
just a brief followup, the dealer picked the tractor up yesterday, he was clearly upset and emabarrased. I don't blame the dealer at all, or anyone else for that matter (yet). I understant that no man-made product is perfect.

Just a note, the tractor was fine when it was delivered and I know the dealer had driven it before hand at his shop ... but its like he said and I agree ... if something new is going to break, its usually in the first 5 hours.

Thanks all ... I'll let you know what happens

All,

The tractor is fixed ... the dealer says they took the trans. cover off and it was in 2 gears at once. They removed the shifting fork and got it corrected. The dealer (who is extremely nice and willing to work with me) says the Mahindra service tech. says that it was caused by me mis-shifting. I'm sure that could have happened since I had been on the tractor all of 10 mins; (even though I was trying to handle it gingerly while getting used to it). But I am a bit concerned that the transmission is that easy to get crossed up. I've been using tractors for about 35 years now, and as much as I have scraped and banged transmissions, I've never damaged one. Hopefully it was a single freak occurrence. If anyone has any comments please let me know,

relieved and slightly concerned.

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #8  
You mis-shifted it? ask him how often this happens with this, and-or, similar models.. could be design miss-up...certainly something to keep aware of :(

/ Problem on new 6500 ... is it time to panic ? #9  
BobG_in_VA said:
Sounds like a shifting fork got stuck somewhere.....that it shouldn't have. It's probably not a hard fix, but certainly shouldn't have happened to a new tractor. Your dealer should be able to fix it at your location....I'd ask him if he can (that way you can see what's happening..)BobG in VA

Like I originally said.....a shifter fork. These things can happen. Now, the question is: What are YOU gonna do if it happens again??? Option 1: You got a good brief from the dealer and you know how to fix it yourself, Option 2: You didn't and you have to rely on the dealer again....Well what is it?? I really don't mean to sound mean, but do you know if they replaced the fork, or just readjusted it? Also, since you've been on tractors for a while, if I were you, I'd personnaly like to speak to that stupid tech rep.....Excuse me MUSA, but yeah, he's stupid.....misshift my butt!!! As you folks can see/read, I'm ranting tonight...BobG in VA

I was talking to the dealer on the phone (they haven't delivered my tractor yet), so I didn't get a thorough description, other than "it was in 2 gears at once", "nothing was broken", so no, the shifting fork was not replaced. If this happens again, the dealer is gonna fix it ... at least until the warranty runs out, which is 3 years minus 2 days. And if it happens more than 1 more time, I think it should be called a lemon. And yea, I'd like to talk to the service tech, I just can't believe something like this should happen, especially since I was being extra careful with it.

wondering if I should have gotten the 6520 he was trying to sell me