W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #1  

Slippy

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6000 4wd; IH x2; NHTC40DSS; International 1086; JD 5115M
For those of you who may be interested, I have learned that the 3rd function control that W.R.Long offers to make grapples or other front end attachments operate comes in two flow rate sizes. For my 6000, and smaller tractors is one size. For the 7520, it jumps up to a higher flow rate. I have ordered the higher flow rate set up. That way if I go to a larger tractor I can switch out the valve set up and be compatable on both. I have been told there is no down side to using the higher flow rate on the smaller tractor. Of course it costs a little more money, but much cheaper than later buying a whole new unit. FYI.

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #2  
Wouldn't a higher flow rate mean the grapple would close more quickly? That could be a disadvantage as sometimes you want to be able to carefully close the grapple jaw rather than just slamming it shut.

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #3  
IslandTractor said:
Wouldn't a higher flow rate mean the grapple would close more quickly? T

No, The total GPM is still limited by the tractors hydraulic pump. You want the rating for any valve you add to have at least the capacity of the system.
So if your tractor has a implement flow rating of 7GPM, then the new valve should be at least rated for 7GPM.

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #4  
IslandTractor said:
Wouldn't a higher flow rate mean the grapple would close more quickly? That could be a disadvantage as sometimes you want to be able to carefully close the grapple jaw rather than just slamming it shut.
It's no different than using a monster 30 gpm spool valve on a small CUT. The flow rate of your tractor is determined by the pump not the spool valve. You can reduce the flow by restricting the lines but you can't increase the flow unless you do something to the pump. The flow rating of the valve should always be equal to or greater than the pump flow otherwise heat becomes a factor.

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #5  
Thanks guys for correcting my misconception. Somehow I thought that having a larger capacity valve would be the same as having larger hoses. Am I correct that using 1/4 inch hose instead of 3/8 inch hose would affect the speed at which a hydraulic cylinder would open/close?

/ W.R.Long 3rd function 2 sizes #6  
IslandTractor said:
Am I correct that using 1/4 inch hose instead of 3/8 inch hose would affect the speed at which a hydraulic cylinder would open/close?
Yes. I always recommend 1/4" hoses for HTL's and small implements because they give just enough restriction to allow feathering of the cylinder. It's no different than putting a restrictor valve in the line. I use 1/4" hoses on just about everything except my dump wagon where that big cylinder needs all the flow it can get.:D