Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #1  

Coyote

Silver Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2000B & Skat Trak 1300D skid steer
They are blanketing the outdoor mags with inside cover ads, ex: Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc. The ad says "since WW II..." what is their origin?

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #2  
"since WW II..." probably refers to the Willys jeeps that Mahindra and Mahindra built.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #3  
Its more than just the outdoor/sportsman magazines. Mahindra has been running a lot of advertising in country life magazines too. Seem like just about every magazine I get (with the exception of the American Rifleman) has a Mahindra ad it in. And they have been running a pretty heavy marketing campain for at least the last 4 to 6 months?

They had a "Dear John" ad a while back, they ran one about "weight/capacity," now they are running the "WWII" ads.

As for their origin, Mahindra is a very large manufacturing company that is one of the largest agricultural tractor manufacturers in the world. They are based in India. Most of their tractors are sold in lesser developed nations. The majority of the tractors sold in the US are contract made tractors, made for them, in Korea. Some may also be contract made in Japan. They have assembly and distribution facilities here in the US.

As for the US marketplace, they are the 4th largest tractor brand in the US in the Compact Utility Tractor market. Kubota has about 60% of the total "CUT" market. John Deere has roughly 20 to 23% of the CUT market. New Holland is ranked #3 with about 11 to 13% of the CUT market. Mahindra is very likely #4 with about 4 to 5% of the market. I know that of all the "minor" brands, Kubota is watching Mahindra.

As for who is the number 5 brand, that is open for debate, it is very likely a 3 way tie between Massey-Ferguson, Cub Cadet and Jinma. Jinma sells under so many brand names that it is hard to tell where their true sales data falls. Cub Cadet is very likely to grow in sales over the next couple of years as they are now in a joint venture with Yanmar. Yanmar will be manufacturing all the new Cub Cadet Compact Utility Tractors within the next year, reportedly some models will be available this year. New Holland and Deere have been slowly slipping in sales, losing about 1% market share per year over the past couple of years, from what I can tell largely due to their prices. All other brands (Montana, Lenar, Kioti, Agco, Challenger, Farmtrac, etc) make up less than 5% of the total CUT tractor market. All of this is based on data that I have been given from various dealers, Mahindra press releases, etc. The total Compact Utility Tractor market had been growing very rapidly for several years, however it looks like it is showing signs of a flat market now.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #4  
Coyote said:
They are blanketing the outdoor mags with inside cover ads, ex: Field & Stream, Outdoor Life, etc. The ad says "since WW II..." what is their origin?
Yeah, Mahindra is on the move. The name is suddenly popping up everywhere. I happened to do a Google search for local backhoe services today (just to check out the local competition) and what pops up but a highlighted display ad for MahindraUSA! No joke! :)

Plus suddenly there are several new dealers in my area. Now I actually have a choice of 4 (instead of 1) within my usual stomping grounds... and a few more just a bit beyond that! Very cool... but what gives here? Why the sudden explosion in dealerships?

Funny story though: None of these new dealers are exactly well set-up yet to do business. I figured that out real fast! This sudden expansion is all happening too fast for them to get any background training apparently. I'm sure there will be big benefits over time... but right now they don't seem to know a Series 10 from a Series 15 or 25! Heck, I'm willing to bet that most of them don't even know how to spell "Mahindra" correctly yet! :D

On the down side...there go my chances for becoming a dealer myself. :( Another multi-gazillion dollar business idea of mine right down the drain. :(

Oh well... such is my life! :rolleyes:

Dougster

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #5  
Minhindra has recently signed on as a sponsor of the World of Outlaws sprint car series.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #6  
I'd love to have a copy of that dear john ad! Evidently Deere takes them pretty seriously to go after the ad like they did. Strange thing is they waited quite a while before getting onto Mahindra and making them pull it.
Mahindra will be releasing a new web page in the next few weeks also !
Marketing is doing a good job at Mahindra. I just wish I could get them to upgrade their apparell so my kids could get some Mahindra t shirts. The kids have Vermeer, Case IH, and even deere shirts, but can't get them any Mahindra.
Seems like all companies would learn from Deere. They get you to pay them to advertise for them by selling you shirts with their name on them.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #7  
jw, we are currently working on new t-shirt designs and they should hopefully be available soon - including some nice kid t-shirts.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #8  
i wish more dealers were within a 30 mile radius of me. i only have Kubota, and JD in my local vicinity and a Farmtrac dealer about 35 mins away, although not strongly considering them at this time. My nearest Mahindra dealer is about an hour away. i wish they had a dealership closer because i would really give them a look.

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #9  
Hi Bob. I keep hearing this 60% number on Kubota and the cut market. I looked around and found this from Yengst and Assoc. This is a March 2004 report quote. http://www.yengstassociates.com/profsample.pdf

Farm / Industrial Tractors Kubota Tractor, with a 20 percent market share, is the third largest supplier of farm and industrial tractors in North America. Its main competitors, Deere and New Holland, have 25 percent and 23 percent market shares respectively. These three companies accounted for approximately 68 percent of the total units sold in the United States and Canada in 2003.

Approximately 78 percent of Kubota’s tractors are sold in the “under 40 hp”
category, which has experienced the highest growth during the last five years.

Kubota and Deere are the leaders in the small tractor category, each having an estimated 28 percent of that market segment. New Holland is third in the smalltractor market, representing about 25 percent of the total. Compact tractors are used primarily in industrial, rental, landscaping, and golf course maintenance applications, with agriculture being one of the smaller uses for the machines.

This product line has allowed Kubota to realize significant increases in sales volume regardless of the strength of the North American farming industry.

See page 10 and the graph that shows the below.

Table 5. North American Equipment Sales
Kubota Corporation vs. Total Industry: 2001 - 2003

I put this as I see over and over Kubota has 60% of the segment but never see any documentation of this. Now, this report is 3 years old but I doubt that they have added an additional 32% market share when this was done.

Based on this I think all the numbers are really wrong.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Maka

/ Mahindra Ads in Outdoor Mags #10  
What are the rankings in the 50-75 HP tractors?
hugs, Brandi