15 Series

/ 15 Series #1  

MSWoodlot

Tractor
Mahindra 3525
I had read various posts here about the Mahindra 15 Series tractors, so I stopped by a dealership to take a look at them to possibly replace my 3525. The dealership had two Models (2615 and 3215) on the lot and both were shuttle shift. Other than the HP difference, it struck me as odd that the 2615seemed to be more substantial than the 3215 because the former had a sheet-metal hood as compared to plastic or fiberglass on the 3215. I was in a bit of a hurry so did not speak to a salesman. I've since tried to find some explanation for the design difference on Mahindra's website without success. Does anyone know why the 3215 does not have a sheet-metal hood, or is that an option like a mid-PTO?
Thanks,
MSWoodlot

/ 15 Series #2  
The 3215 along with the 1815, 2415, and 2815 are new 15 series models and have a different design and layout vs. the 2615 (it does NOT have shuttle shift, by the way), 2015 and 3015.

Different hoods are not an option like the mid mount PTO.

As for the reason why the newer 15 series don't have sheet metal hoods and fenders....I haven't the slightest idea.

off topic but out of curiosity, what area of southern MS do you live in?

/ 15 Series
RedRiver,
Thanks for the quick response. My mistake on the 2615 transmission.

As to what area, I'm 40 miles north of the Coast in Katrina country. That's why I'm considering a 4WD with FEL.

MSWoodlot

/ 15 Series #4  
Just curious because I have family in the Natchez area.

The only reason I can think of the hood NOT being sheet metal is to keep costs down.

/ 15 Series #5  
One thing Mahindra accomplished by the changes to the newer 15 series models is the fuel tank up front thus making the passenger are more spacious. Me not being a little fella, I appreciate that.

/ 15 Series #7  
Many new vehicles have composite body panels and the Corvette has used them since 1953. That may not be necessarly a bad thing me thinks.

/ 15 Series
Offy, I'm having a hard time picturing that Corvette pulling a 5-ft bushhog through a thicket of Chinese privet (Ligustrum) or yaupon holly (Ilex). Just kidding. :D

If composite panels (hoods, fenders) were a positive selling point, looks like Mahindra would promote it on their website? Perhaps Mahindra doesn't want the 3215 competing with their 3510?

MSWoodlot

/ 15 Series #9  
Has anyone got any experience with the plastic, where they found it more damage resistant than the steel body panels?
Some plastics are awfully tough and we have read about dented steel hoods in various forums on TBN.