Mahindra 485DI

/ Mahindra 485DI #1  

Old Pop

Tractor
Mahindra E485DI
Working on my 485DI with several problems. 1. Charging system not working, the light on dash doesnt come on when started. Found one wire off of regulator and repaired that and checked the charge lamp and it is okay. 2. The battery has a black cable going from starter to positive terminal on battery and has a red cable going from ground to the negative terminal on the battery. Is it supposed to be positive or negative ground? 3. Now, starter is kaput. Maybe I tried to start it too many times the last round. With starter out of tractor, it wont turn with a battery connected directly to the connector bypassing the solenoid.
I havent been able to locate a service manual on it, and the main place in Tomball TX, said that manuals arent available for this model any longer. I have been looking for a wiring diagram so I could troubleshoot the electrical circuit, but no luck yet. Now I have a starter problem to contend with now. I would like to take it apart to check it out and see if it is repairable, but not sure on teardown procedure.
If anyone has any real good info and input on this matter, it would be greatly appreciated.

/ Mahindra 485DI #2  
I had the starter for my 485DI checked at a local shop. I think they charged me $12.00.

/ Mahindra 485DI
I took my starter to a local repair shop in Monroe. I left it so he could check it out. I called later and he said that it wasnt worth repairing and that I might could find one for about $300 to replace it. I will just pick it up and check it out myself and see what might be up. At least while we were talking about it I found out how to take it apart. So, I will see.

/ Mahindra 485DI
Well, I finally got it apart and found one of the brush springs missing. I guess when they opened it up, they found it broken and removed the pieces. They put it back together before I got back to get it. So, I opened it up and cleaned it up and brushed the commutators and got some springy steel wire and made a temp. brush spring. I re-assembled it and tried it and it worked (hurray!). I have a job to do with it in a day or so and I need it goin now. I will try and locate the spring brushes for it and go back and do it right later. Now, maybe I can work on the charging part. Do you flash (polorize) the generator while running or with it not running? I want to try that before I go too far. I am hoping that since it has been running with the wire broken to the voltage regulator for so long, that just maybe that is all that is needed. Will try to see.

/ Mahindra 485DI #5  
Go back and do a search on my old posts regarding my 485. It may be titled "CHARGING PROBLEM, OR NOT?"

Make SURE that the charging light indicator bulb (left hand side of the instrument panel) comes on when you turn the key to the "ON" position. It should also come on when the tractor is started at idle, but go off when you give the engine more throttle.

IF THAT BULB IS BLOWN, THE CHARGING SYSTEM WILL NOT WORK. Those are from my Mahindra dealer and believe me, they are so true! (went through a lot of aggravation)

Just to let you know, the CarQuest oil filter number for the 485 DI is 85775.

Travis R

/ Mahindra 485DI
I have re-read that post many times looking to see what I can apply to my situation, but without a wiring diagram, I havent had as much luck as I wanted. I have checked the bulb and it is good, but it doesnt come on at startup. I am guessing that the Gen., Voltage Reg., or Ampmeter may be at fault. I was able to start the tractor and run it a short while today, but no time to try any troubleshooting on charging circuit. The dealer said that the books on the 485DI arent available anylonger, so I keep looking to see if I can find one up for sale or get a copy of one. Looks like a bit of work ahead.

/ Mahindra 485DI
Oh yeah, thanks Travis for the filter info. I will note that.

/ Mahindra 485DI #8  
Old Pop,

Does your lights and flashers work? My amp meter went bad just before i sold it. The key switch or NOTHING ELECTRICAL would work. But I could start it by jumping the starter's solenoid. It it took a couple days to figure it out, but we got it fixed. The apm meter went bad internally. Had to buy a new one but it wasn't expensive at all. Go back and read the post on it to see if it helps ya.

Travis

/ Mahindra 485DI
Tractor will start okay, the light switch is damaged so I cant check any of that out at this time. I know that one of the fuses in the fuse block is blown, but I dont think it is the main fuse. Some lights were broken by previous owner so I think that is the reason for the blown fuse. I will get back to checking more of the problems as I get time. Just too many other irons in the fire right now. Once again, thanks for the info.