Tires Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes

/ Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes #11  
Must have been a bad weekend for tires! I knocked the tire off it's bead and also put a couple dents in the rim. Rocks! I lifted up the tractor in the field using the FEL. Got the bolts off (no easy chore, next weekend, I'm re-doing them all). Beat the rim back in shape with a wood block, metal block and sledge hammer. Got the tire back on the rim with two crow bars. Put (as simonmeridew did) a wratchet strap around the tire as tight as I could. Put air on it from my little pancake compressor. Then I just "tapped" the tire with a hammer while air was going in. It seated itself. Use CAUTION when removing the strap. I ran up 100 lbs of pressure to seat it good, tested with soapy water, hit the rim in a few spots again with the hammer to seal it better. Lowered the pressure to 45 and put it back on. Held air for two days with no leaks yet. I'll see what it looks like next weekend...

/ Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes #12  
The tool Dave's Tractor described is available but costly. But it will seat the bead. It's just an air tank with a 1/4 turn ball valve that releases all the pressure at once through a pipe that is flattened on the end.

Attachments

• 50909.gif
    50909.gif
    30.8 KB · Views: 204
   / Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes
Shirleyshusband said:
Put (as simonmeridew did) a wratchet strap around the tire as tight as I could. Put air on it from my little pancake compressor. Then I just "tapped" the tire with a hammer while air was going in. It seated itself. Use CAUTION when removing the strap. I ran up 100 lbs of pressure to seat it good, tested with soapy water, hit the rim in a few spots again with the hammer to seal it better. .

Good point to mention using caution when removing strap. I was removing a bungee strap once and the strap sprung away and struck me on the face just below the eye. Big red scratch on my cheek. Close call! You never know where it comes from next and you can't be too carefull. I would guess the rachet strap could cause damage to someone if it broke and everything else went wrong too. The byword is; be safe.

Does anyone remember the strap they used to use to put tires on; when gas stations usually had a garage and a tire machine. As I remember you would cinch this thing around the tire and it had a place to put air into it. Once the bead was made there was a relief valve on the thing and it would go limp and it was off. I wonder if you can still buy these things?

Cheers Coffeeman

/ Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes
Shirleyshusband said:
Must have been a bad weekend for tires! I knocked the tire off it's bead and also put a couple dents in the rim. Rocks! ...

I wonder what an old used rim and tire would cost? Could you even get one? I think it might not be a bad idea to have a spare front tire. Those darn flats seem to happen when you don't have half a day to goof around. Old one off and spare on.

Cheers

/ Front flat tire, It wasn't funny for a couple minutes #15  
I too, have had my share of tire troubles. I had a flat on my new 5500 2wd front tire. I put a plug in it. It did not last two days. Put another one, same thing. Ended up buying a tube from TSC and installing it myself. Five months and no pressure loss.