A couple of hydraulic line-related questions...

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #1  

Dougster

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110 w/509 BH
Finally getting around to installing some new (semi-) permanent hydraulic lines up to my FEL grapple from my new rear remote set and a couple of questions have come to mind:

For other folks who have run lines forward for a grapple (or similar) from a rear remote set... did you do it on the congested right side to take advantage of the existing tubes & supports for "quick & easy" support of the new lines... or did you do it on the left side where there is all the uncongested, open real estate in the world in which to plan out and execute your route? Seems everyone still chooses the congested right side and I am kinda wondering why. :confused: Maybe a general reluctance to drill for new supports? :confused:

Related but not related... :) ... it always seemed funny to me that the 4110's three 1/2" hydraulic hoses were all squeezed down to 3/8" before the FEL control valve. I understand using 3/8" for the FEL itself... and it works fine... but with an open center/power beyond type system and my need to power a 509 BH from one of my two remote sets, wouldn't I be much better off with three 1/2" hoses all the way to and from the FEL control valve? Can't help but think that I am losing something there. :eek:

Lastly, does anyone see any reason to run 1/2" lines up front instead of 3/8" lines? Certainly the grapple doesn't need 1/2"... but can anyone think of a plausible future need or purpose for running 1/2" up front? I only want to do this job (read: "pay for this job") once.

Lastly, where are you folks getting the nifty brackets you are using for mounting your front QA couplings? :) Thanks!

Dougster

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #2  
If I'm not mistaken, my 2615 has 1/2" hoses between the tank and loader control. Then, 3/8" hoses forward of the loader control. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any attachment where I might need the increased flow of 1/2" lines all the way to the front of the FEL. I imagine if you wanted some attachment with a hydraulic motor (post hole digger, perhaps) mounted on the front (like I've seen for skid steer machines), you might need the increased flow. My 2615's hyd. system is only rated at 7.8 GPM, so I don't know if I could power something like that or not. Your 4110 is rated at 9.5 GPM. I still don't know if that's enough flow for something like a PHD. Maybe so???

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #3  
Rob, Doug
You don't have any 1/2" lines on your loader plumbing. All 3/8".
Now I did not research what size fitting we plumb to coming off the tractor, so maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.... at any rate... for a grapple, I would run 3/8' and do it down the RH side if for no other reason than to keep the clutter to one side.
As far as the flow for a PHD... I doubt there is enough flow to run a post hole digger, and certainly not a broom....

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #4  
Thanks for clearing that up, Jeremy. I could have sworn the hoses going from under the tractor to the loader valve were larger diameter than the ones going from the loader vavle to the front end. I've been wrong before... once, I think. :)

By the way, I really appreciate the fact that there are manufacturer representatives on TBN (specifically those manufacturers of products that I own. I.e. Mahindra, KMW, WR Long, Millonzi, etc.). I've been dropping hints to the folks at King Kutter to get them involved here. I own more pieces of their equipment than any other single brand. I know for a fact they lurk here, reading and perhaps posted under an anonymous identity. But, I'd like to see them come out and "officially" support TBN and participate here.

Thanks,

BR

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #5  
Doug
Did the additional set of rear remotes install as easy as I said they would?
I know I have been out of the TBN loop lately but tractor season has been keeping me busy off line. I still check in and do some reading at least once a day. Happy Tractor Season!

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions...
BamaRob said:
If I'm not mistaken, my 2615 has 1/2" hoses between the tank and loader control. Then, 3/8" hoses forward of the loader control. I can't, off the top of my head, think of any attachment where I might need the increased flow of 1/2" lines all the way to the front of the FEL. I imagine if you wanted some attachment with a hydraulic motor (post hole digger, perhaps) mounted on the front (like I've seen for skid steer machines), you might need the increased flow. My 2615's hyd. system is only rated at 7.8 GPM, so I don't know if I could power something like that or not. Your 4110 is rated at 9.5 GPM. I still don't know if that's enough flow for something like a PHD. Maybe so???
Actually, my older (2004) 4110 is rated at 7.87 GPM. I wish I had 9.5 GPM because that might get me one step closer to being able to run a 511 BH without using a PTO-driven pump! :) Of course, once I win the lottery so I can buy the 511, I will shortly thereafter have a brand new 7520 anyway... so maybe it's kind of a moot point! :D

But you are right on the money when talking almost anything driven by a hydraulic motor... and there is a TON of such skid-steer stuff available around here for rental... but is my 7.87 GPM going to do anything with it anyway? Hence my question. :confused: Like I said... it's all about wanting to do this job only one time. :rolleyes:

Dougster

rback33 said:
Rob, Doug
You don't have any 1/2" lines on your loader plumbing. All 3/8". Now I did not research what size fitting we plumb to coming off the tractor, so maybe I am misinterpreting what you are saying.... at any rate... for a grapple, I would run 3/8' and do it down the RH side if for no other reason than to keep the clutter to one side. As far as the flow for a PHD... I doubt there is enough flow to run a post hole digger, and certainly not a broom....
The interface point is a bracket right below the right "step." This is where the 1/2" Mahindra (TYM) hoses become 3/8" KMW hoses. I have no complaints whatsoever about 3/8" hoses, etc. for loader plumbing beyond the control valve. My question relates strictly to the plumbing between the interface point and the loader control valve. In my view, because of the nature of open center systems, these three short hoses should probably have been kept as full-size (i.e., 1/2") for the sake of downstream users... i.e., my two remote sets (including the 509 backhoe feed) and the 3-Pt hitch. Isn't this logical? Or am I missing something here? Obviously, the FEL's return to tank doesn't really matter... but pump discharge and power beyond... in my view... should have been kept full-size.

Dougster

p.s., Picked up my new "HD" bucket today. Smokin'!!! :D I am very pleased! As usual, I have a few questions for you, but they can wait! :) -d

LAWALLSTRACTOR said:
Doug Did the additional set of rear remotes install as easy as I said they would? I know I have been out of the TBN loop lately but tractor season has been keeping me busy off line. I still check in and do some reading at least once a day. Happy Tractor Season!
Hi Galen - There are a few "issues" yet to be resolved... mostly because the box full of parts came without any instructions whatsoever. The "kit" was complete and correct for my machine... even though the parts differed a bit from the drawing you sent me and even differed slightly from a detailed TYM drawing I was able to obtain locally. Turns out Mahindra had made certain changes to their "version" before TYM made the same changes, or similar, to their own version. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I have yet to complete the mechanical linkage only because I was hoping to find a 4110 or 3510 to look at with the kit already installed. Remember that I've got the original remote set being used by the 509... and to do so, the original remote's control lever is locked in place (rearward) by a big hook-like bracket. That bracket covers the second slot into which the new (second) lever must sit. I've either got to use the third/last slot (by bending the new lever?) or I'll have to get a new hook bracket made that doesn't cover the second slot. Those two hideous, poorly-positioned remote levers are truly a classic piece of work!!! :( Even on a brand new 4110 I saw on Sunday, the single lever could not be thrown with the right-side arm rest down. :( Very uncool. :(

So to make a long story short, the kit was correct and complete except for lacking instructions. Leakage and linkages... and possibly switching positions of the new and old valves... are really the only issues I've yet to fully resolve. :) Had it not rained all last week, the job would be done by now! :D

Dougster

/ A couple of hydraulic line-related questions... #9  
dougster; i have all my hoses running on the right side just to keep the left open for access.for your question about hoses 1/4 will run your grapple,ect find and easy to run from back to front. !/2 will give you max flow but more money for hoses and a pain in the*** to run. i run 3/8 as a compromise:rolleyes:

jpm said:
dougster; i have all my hoses running on the right side just to keep the left open for access.for your question about hoses 1/4 will run your grapple,ect find and easy to run from back to front. !/2 will give you max flow but more money for hoses and a pain in the*** to run. i run 3/8 as a compromise:rolleyes:
That's a good way to put it JPM! Half inch too cumbersome. Quarter inch too weak & weeny. Three-eighths... just right! :)

So you vote for "keep all the... ahem... congestion in one place"... heh? ;) Reminds me of the song "Alice's Restaurant"! :D One pile of garbage is better than two... heh? :)

But to put you on the spot... what would you be accessing on that left side that a couple of 3/8" hoses neatly wire-tied together (and easily disconnected and moved aside) would pose a problem? I just don't see any problems with that "left side" approach... fully acknowledging that no one else in the known world seems to go that route. :confused:

Dougster