Bush Hog

/ Bush Hog #1  

SABULA FARMER

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT335SST
Anyone know what the rule of thumb is for bush hog size vs. horsepower? I was thinking of getting a 5' bush hog for my 2615 but am unsure if that would be to big.
Also, does anyone know what a good price would be for a bush hog?

Thanks! S.F.

/ Bush Hog #2  
What a lot of people use as a "rule of thumb" for size is 5 PTO hp per foot of width on the brush hog. It's not absolute of course. Personally, I prefer one that's just a little wider than the outside tread of my rear tires, so I can get close to fences, buildings, etc. Prices vary considerably, depending not only on brand, but whether you get a light duty, medium duty, or heavy duty unit in each brand.

/ Bush Hog #4  
You can always get that information from the company who mskes th hog.

/ Bush Hog
Thanks for the info, I am going to go price some cutters tomorrow.
S.F.

/ Bush Hog #6  
I have a 2615HST and a 5' rotary mower. Mower has a 40 HP gear box on it. It will run it fine. I engage the PTO slowly at a low RPM then raise RPM to proper PTO speed then start mowing. You want to go at least as wide as your tires. I believe my 2615 could handle a 6' mower but only got the 5'er.

/ Bush Hog #7  
SABULA FARMER said:
Anyone know what the rule of thumb is for bush hog size vs. horsepower? I was thinking of getting a 5' bush hog for my 2615 but am unsure if that would be to big.
Also, does anyone know what a good price would be for a bush hog?

Thanks! S.F.
I have a Bush hog SQ60, which is a 5' mower, on my 2615 hydro. I paid about 1K two years ago.

/ Bush Hog #8  
We recommend 5' rotary cutters for the 2615.

The pricing on 5' cutters can be fairly wide....anywhere from $700-$1800, just depends on how heavy of a cutter you want and the brand of the cutter.
My advice would be to tell the dealer the type of areas you will be cutting (i.e. pasture, brush, etc.) and they should be able to tell you what cutter will suite your needs.

/ Bush Hog
Well I bought a 5' king kutter. It seemed the best price for what I want to do with it. I don't have much brush to cut, just high grass.
I did experience a problem while cutting though. Both lower turnbuckles went south on me...90 degrees south! Both got bent 90 degrees. I don't know if I did this while raising the cutter or possibly I had them adjusted wrong. How should they be adjusted? My Mahindra dealer wants $125.00 per side for factory replacements. Anyone know where I can get them cheaper?
S.F.

/ Bush Hog #10  
Did you have the turnbuckles on each side tightened up where the cutter was not swaying from left to right?