Front brush guard mods

/ Front brush guard mods #1  

mboulais

Gold Member
Tractor
2004 Mahindra 4110
Has anyone modified the loader mount on a 4110 to add a brush guard? My grill got damaged last week when a root ball rolled over and a root snapped against the grill. I am thinking of adding three bars of 3/4" roundstock across the front of the loader frame between the two upright plates. I noticed when I measured the loader frame those plates are about 1/2" farther apart at the top than the bottom. I am wondering if I worked it hard enough to bend something. Would you build it as a seperate bolt in unit, or just weld to the loader frame? The picture is pre-damage, I just put it in for those who don't own a 4110.

Attachments

• mahindrainshed1.jpg
    mahindrainshed1.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 803
   / Front brush guard mods #2  
You could probably weld a guard straight to the loader bracket, just make sure the hood has plenty of clearance.

/ Front brush guard mods #3  
mboulais said:
Has anyone modified the loader mount on a 4110 to add a brush guard? My grill got damaged last week when a root ball rolled over and a root snapped against the grill. I am thinking of adding three bars of 3/4" roundstock across the front of the loader frame between the two upright plates. I noticed when I measured the loader frame those plates are about 1/2" farther apart at the top than the bottom. I am wondering if I worked it hard enough to bend something. Would you build it as a seperate bolt in unit, or just weld to the loader frame? The picture is pre-damage, I just put it in for those who don't own a 4110.
Check out this thread I started a couple weeks back for more relavent info:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/mahindra/97404-brush-guard-3510-4110-a.html

Specifically from Jeremy:
Originally the 10 and 15 series tractors only took grill guards with OUT the loader. In the last year KMW has gone back and redesigned the front mounts and have new grill guards to fit WITH the loader. The release of the new grill guards is not well know for some reason. The thing you have to remember is that you may need to order a new front mount or fab and weld tabs on the side of the existing one to mount the new grill guards. (this is what Doug would have to do) I am not sure of serial number cutoffs for the changes to the front mounts on the loaders.
I got a good look at the new front mount with the "tabs" for the new KMW-made brush guard and I believe I'll go that route when the time comes... hopefully sooner rather than later. :) I do have a slight concern that my older ML112 does not appear to match identically the newer ML112s, so I'd want to check that out first before ordering the new style bracket. Lately I've found out... Better safe than sorry! :)

Dougster

/ Front brush guard mods
Dougster,
Thanks,I guess I should have searched first. Those are almost exactly what I pictured. I think I will build mine to stay with the loader. I never take my loader off anyway and I would like to get at least three bars in there to get the spaces in between down under 3"

/ Front brush guard mods #5  
I bumped my nose on the side of my dump truck about 2 weeks after I got my tractor and cracked it, then I built a brushguard. I made my guard up with some scrap channel iron and some thickwalled round tubing I had. Made it to be a light tap-fit between the loader brackets and I drilled & tapped 2 bolt holes ( 9/16" if I remember correctly) into the loader bracket on each side and simply bolted my guard in. I used some fairly heavy expanded metal as a screen over the front of the guard. Got 2 utility lites (sealed beam in a rubber enclosure) on top of the guard to use as headlites - the stock lites are even more useless with the guard in place. The rubber fixtures allow the bulbs to pop out if hit hard, saving the lite. I've had this rig on there now for 5 years, have never taken the guard off since installing it, and have only replaced 1 lite bulb. Have had to straighten the metal screen out many times but no other problems.

/ Front brush guard mods #6  
That sounds like a slick setup! Have/can you post pics?

/ Front brush guard mods
Yes, I would like to see a picture of that too. I am now thinking about using 1/4 x 2 flat instead of 1" round, I can put more in, minimizing the opening size and still get air flow through.

/ Front brush guard mods #8  
My tractor is at a jobsite away from home, should have it back here this weekend sometime - I'll try to get a couple pics by the first of the week.

/ Front brush guard mods #9  
Sorry it took so long to get the pics on here, you've probably already done something for your guards. Like I said, a very simple setup here but it has worked well. You want the guard out towards the front of the loader brackets so you can access your hood release. I just took my time and drilled & tapped the brackets with 9/16" NF threads. The two cross members are just scrap angle I had, along with the heavy-wall tubing at the top. A few small holes along the way to cable-tie the lite wires to. The expanded metal is attached with 1/4" bolts w/flat washers, I need to replace mine - it has been worked hard !!

Attachments

• DSCN0670.JPG
    DSCN0670.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 1,091
  • DSCN0671.JPG
    DSCN0671.JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 964
  • DSCN0672.JPG
    DSCN0672.JPG
    173.5 KB · Views: 867
   / Front brush guard mods
skipmarcy said:
Sorry it took so long to get the pics on here, you've probably already done something for your guards. Like I said, a very simple setup here but it has worked well. You want the guard out towards the front of the loader brackets so you can access your hood release. I just took my time and drilled & tapped the brackets with 9/16" NF threads. The two cross members are just scrap angle I had, along with the heavy-wall tubing at the top. A few small holes along the way to cable-tie the lite wires to. The expanded metal is attached with 1/4" bolts w/flat washers, I need to replace mine - it has been worked hard !!

Thanks for the pics. I haven't done anything yet to mine.