Dilemna 1532 vs 1533?

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533? #1  
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1532, Bolens G174
Hi everyone I am new here but hope to contribute more in the future. I have narrowed my tractor search down to either a Massey 1532 or 1533. My choice was made based on cost, dealer "feeling", and the current financing package of 0% for 60 months. What I want to know is whether or not it is worth paying a premium to get the 12 speed powershuttle and heavier loader on the 1533? A 1532 is $19000 CAD plus 13% taxes. I don't have an exact quote but the 1533 wiill be around $22000 plus taxes. The 1533 will also have the skid steer quick attach and HD bucket. That $3400 more for basically two upgrades (tranny and loader). I want to use the tractor for plowing snow, landscaping and moving larger items around my yard (bricks, steel, lumber etc..) I have a post on the buying/pricing thread list but it was for a cab tractor and I have come to the realization that I don't need to spend all that money eventhough it would be nice to have. I basically plow snow for about 20 hours a season and the other 30-50 hours I put on trcator for the rest of the year is just running around the yard and I can choose when to do that ie. no rain!

What do you guys think? Will I cause myself $3400 of damage in the future lifting pallets of interlocking stones and engine blocks etc...if I go with the 1532?

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533? #2  
I just bout a 1533 8x8 Synchro Shuttle transmission with the larger R4 tires for my 10 + acres of property. I believe the price with the loader, pin on bucket, and loaded tires was $18000 out the door. We used it to push and move a lot of tree tops and logs when we logged for our new home. Now it will be used for mine and my families property maintenance totaling 40 acres and moving the by-products of horses and other farm animals. It has a lot of power! I was also considering the 1532 but I thought the larger size and weight was a better option for the price. Plus this is most likely the last tractor I will purchase in my life time. Therefore I got what I wanted and could afford.

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533? #3  
The 1525 is a nice loader, made in USA, and pretty stout. Skid-steer quick attach is very nice, too. I have both on my 1540 and am pretty happy.

Get the 1533: It's a bigger chassis, too, IIRC.

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533?
I just got the quote back and it is $2000 more than the salesman's initial "guess" ! :eek: What the **** ?!?:mad: Now I am back to debating buying the cab since it is only another $5650 with the taxes. The pricing seems to go all over the map A 1532 with L100, R4's for $19000, A 1533 12 speed powershuttle with 1525, R4's, skid steer QT w HD bucket for $23750 (add $1000 for dual remotes) and finally a 1533 CAB 12 speed powershuttle with 1525, loaded R4's, skid steer QT w HD bucket for $28675 (I assume this has the dual remotes). All these tractors have blockheaters.

The difference in payments is $125/month on the last two variations. I had the wife convinced at $350.00 per month payment but $475 !? But that seems like the better deal for what I would be getting. I am beginning to debate how much I am willing to spend on a 75% toy. Afterall, for maybe $2000 I could fix my Bolens and drive it hard until it breaks again.

How much margin is in tractors? How hard should I push for a deal.

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533? #5  
I do not know how much margin but I pushed hard between 4 dealers till I thought I had the lowest price. I also found out that there are different incentives in different areas within a 50 mile radius. I would like a cab but my property has hills and any additional top weight is not desirable + I like the open feeling. Good luck.

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533?
Dilemna Solved!!!

I had to step back and take a good hard look :rolleyes: at my needs vs. wants and in the end since the tractor is mostly a toy I decided on the 1532. The only thing I believe I compromised on was the loader. It may be a little light for the abuse I could throw at it but... time will tell. Here is what I ended up with (and why):

Massey 1532 w/ 8 speed synchro shuttle
Same motor as 1533, slightly smaller frame, lighter for yard work, and I can clutch to shift forward/reverse and I didn't figure I needed 4 speeds under 1 mph.
L100 loader with pin type quick connect
I played with a skid steer quick attach and found it hard to manipulate and when I really thought about it the only two attachment I will probably use are a 6 foot blade and a set of pallet forks. The plow will stay on most of the winter and the forks will go on maybe once or twice a month. I know there are many attachments available out there but part of the reason I bought the tractor was so I could build my own "stuff" and get away from my job and play.
R4 tires (unloaded)
I want the tractor as light as possible for yard work but will build a weight ballast for the rear 3 point so I can add weight if required.
Block Heater
The dealer installs these in all their tractors and I think it is an option that is invaluable anyways. (January in Canada can be cold!!)
5 foot box blade
This will help with the yard work and driveway maintenance.

Qualified for 0% for 60 months and paid my deposit but, unfortunately the unit on the lot was sold already so I have to wait for the dealer to get me one. He's going to try and steal one from another dealer but worst case scenario he has two arriving in early June.

Oh yeah! all this for $19,000 plus taxes (could have been 17,800 if I didn't want to finance.

I will post pictures when the new "baby" arrives!

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533?
I have been away from here for a long time!!! I spend the summer playing with my boat and an associated forum.
I received my new tractor in the middle of May and have used it quite a bit. I have fabricated pallet forks for the pin-style quick Attach system and made a trailer hitch adapter for my three point hitch.
I can't figure out how to insert pictures right now so go here to see some pictures of the new machine!

www.photobucket.com/albums/ii100/millhaven_nice_guy/MF%20Tractor%20Pictures/

I will try and keep more up-to-date on here!

/ Dilemna 1532 vs 1533? #9  
Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Below the pics are some codes, the one you want to copy and paste is the IMG code. Just paste it in as text, and you are good to go.

Which dealer did you get it from?

BTW, nice tractor.

Last edited:
   / Dilemna 1532 vs 1533?
Thanks for posting the pictures! The other forum I am on is a little different than this one in the fact that you press an image button and then paste your web link in between the image identifier.
I got the tractor from Mahon's in Inverary, Ontario, Canada