New GC2410

/ New GC2410 #11  
Wow- thanks for the info, guys. My Mom died last week so we've been tied up with the funeral, etc-- next comes the lawyer part....:(

Woody-- I don't know if I could swing it or not, but, yes, I'd be interested in your mower deck; I'd planned on looking for a used one. Don't particularly like to drive in cities --have been amazed at just how terrible traffic has become around Hartford!-- but have a small utility trailer and could pick it up easily. How much asking? Where are you?

Thanks to both you & Johnny B for the reports; they echo what my salesman had said about the mower deck. I've never owned any sort of a rider mower, so this will be totally new to me.

Also thanks for the tip about the backhoe-- I did practice taking it off last summer, and your suggestion sounds like a good idea. I was amazed at how "petite" the thing looks when stripped of its appendages! On the other hand, I've seen my older brother use his backhoe to good advantage with his Case 550D, using the hoe as a counterbalance to get into --and out of-- some amazing slope situations. (Yes, I've signed up for "lessons"!)

Our snow in this area only mounted to a good dusting, which finally disappeared Thursday afternoon. Sounds like NY and parts of VT & PA did get it good, though.

Attachments

• "lawn mower".JPG
    "lawn mower".JPG
    156.3 KB · Views: 169
  • no FEL:bh.JPG
    no FEL:bh.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 142
   / New GC2410 #12  
Irvingj -

The dealer provided me with a used 60" loaner when he delivered the TLB. I mowed a nearby pasture and my yard with the loaner and it did a great job. The grass in was about 8 inches high and wet and it mowed it with no problems at all. I did go over some of the sections twice b/c the grass was clumping up since it was so high.

I got my new 60" mower deck last Friday, and it is going to stay all shiny and boxed up in my garage until next Spring (it is snowing as I write this email).

As a side note and you probably already know this, but you'll want to at least take the backhoe off when mowing. I was anxious to try everything out when it was delivered and the 1*hoe makes the tractor feel way too top heavy on any type of incline, so I was white knuckled mowing in this bumpy area on a slight hill. I took the hoe of and it was like a new machine. I didn't bother taking the FEL off and it didn't seem to affect the mowing at all (but if you are navigating in tight places it is easy enough to take it off).
I bought a new BX23 4 years ago .
I've never had the hoe or Fel off it.
I mow 2.33 acres and it don't feel like that mowing with it.:)

/ New GC2410 #13  
irvingj - sorry to hear about your mother. My condolences to you and your family.

I don't have a mowing deck, but have taken my backhoe off several times to use the 3PH for the wood chipper, York rake, blade, or snow blower. One of the things I really like about my little 2310 is how easy it is to make the swap from BH to a 3PH attachment. That was one of the things that pushed me toward the red tractor.

I've never taken off the FEL, but it sure does look stripped down without these goodies.

I've made the seasonal switch from BH to snow blower now. The BH is resting on a dolly in the corner of my garage, and the snow blower is on the rear, ready to go.

I did add some work lights - (4) 55w floods from TSC. I had a bracket made out of 1/8" steel and drilled to fit under the blinkers (using the same nut as the blinker post). The most time consuming part of the project was trying to figure out how to thread the wire through the center of the ROPS, but once that was done it went pretty smoothly.

All 4 lights come on at the same time and at first when I turned around, the glare was pretty annoying, but by turning them slightly outwards, it became much more tolerable.

Jay

Attachments

• PA250005.JPG
    PA250005.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 189
  • PA250001.JPG
    PA250001.JPG
    232.1 KB · Views: 165
  • PA250003.JPG
    PA250003.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 196
  • PA250007.JPG
    PA250007.JPG
    152.5 KB · Views: 177
   / New GC2410 #14  
Jaybrad-- thanks. 91 years' worth of a full life, though the last few months were very hard to watch-- Alzheimer's.

Nice lights! No problems with electrical capacity on the 2310? You anywhere near Leeds/Lewiston? Got an old Army buddy that lives there, and often go up to see him.

Salesman was right, taking off the backhoe really is easier than removing the FEL, but I have more practice removing the loader; with the quick-hitch sub-frame for the blower in place (front grille guard has to come off for that), I can go from blower to FEL or the other way around in about 10 minutes. I'll see if I can get some pics of the blower this weekend.

LBrown- thanks for your input also-you're obviously a lot more experienced than I am! If I end up getting Woody's deck, I'll find out-- but I do have some steep slopes, which I'd planned to continue to mow with my 2-stroke push mower, but will certainly try to cover as much as I can with the tractor.

Thanks, guys, for all the help--

/ New GC2410 #15  
Jaybrad-- thanks. 91 years' worth of a full life, though the last few months were very hard to watch-- Alzheimer's.

Nice lights! No problems with electrical capacity on the 2310? You anywhere near Leeds/Lewiston? Got an old Army buddy that lives there, and often go up to see him.

Sounds like lots of years of good memories.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but if my high school physics is correct, each light is drawing ~ 4.6amp. So 4 of them total just over 18amps. The switch and the fuse into which I tapped are rated for 20 amps - and it's a 40 amp alternator, so I should be all set.

I just turn off the mini-fridge and surround sound stereo when I turn on the lights. :rolleyes:

One of these days, I may try to take off the FEL just to see what that ordeal is like. Some nice summer day when I've got nothing else more pressing to do and just want to have fun playing. :D

I'm about 30 miles from Lewiston - just outside of Augusta.

Jay

/ New GC2410 #16  
Jaybrad-- next time I head up there, I'll look you up.

Removing the FEL isn't all that bad, but the procedure is relatively complex, involving putting the bucket down, tilting it, getting the feet/stand legs to touch, and finally, after pulling pins, driving the tractor forward --while tilting the bucket-- to lift the hinge points out of their sockets.... This won't work on a dolly on a concrete floor, unless you can stop the FEL from moving, obviously. I find I have to get the book out each time and follow the steps one by one....

But it does work. Once the FEL's off, it can easily be lifted to get a dolly under it. Hydraulic lines are also a bit tight; I had to take a picture of the lines hooked up so I could remember how to position them for reconnecting- they only fit one way, and have to be twisted opposite of what you'd think as they're reconnected....:eek:

Attachments

• FEL hoses 3.jpg
    FEL hoses 3.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 156
   / New GC2410 #17  
Wow- thanks for the info, guys. My Mom died last week so we've been tied up with the funeral, etc-- next comes the lawyer part....:(

Woody-- I don't know if I could swing it or not, but, yes, I'd be interested in your mower deck; I'd planned on looking for a used one. Don't particularly like to drive in cities --have been amazed at just how terrible traffic has become around Hartford!-- but have a small utility trailer and could pick it up easily. How much asking? Where are you?

Thanks to both you & Johnny B for the reports; they echo what my salesman had said about the mower deck. I've never owned any sort of a rider mower, so this will be totally new to me.

Also thanks for the tip about the backhoe-- I did practice taking it off last summer, and your suggestion sounds like a good idea. I was amazed at how "petite" the thing looks when stripped of its appendages! On the other hand, I've seen my older brother use his backhoe to good advantage with his Case 550D, using the hoe as a counterbalance to get into --and out of-- some amazing slope situations. (Yes, I've signed up for "lessons"!)

Our snow in this area only mounted to a good dusting, which finally disappeared Thursday afternoon. Sounds like NY and parts of VT & PA did get it good, though.

Irvingj--so sorry for your loss of your mom!
I'm located in Shelton,Ct.---and I'm asking $1500. for the deck as I paid $2000. for it and only have maybe 6 hours on it. Let me know what you think!!!

/ New GC2410
I bought a new BX23 4 years ago .
I've never had the hoe or Fel off it.
I mow 2.33 acres and it don't feel like that mowing with it.:)

The GC2410 is top/backend heavy with the backhoe on it and unfortunately there isn't a level spot in my entire yard (except right around my house), so the backhoe will be coming off when it is time to mow. Luckily it goes on and off very quickly. Actually, I'll probably just leave the hoe off, and only put it on when needed b/c it is quicker/easier to put the backhoe on vs. the mower deck!

So far I have 18+ hours on it, I have mowed the lawn twice, dug out about a dozen stumps, filled the holes, and have cleared some thick brush with the FEL. For a little machine that can mow the lawn beautifully without destroying it, I'm amazed at how well this thing can dig. Obviously due to the lighter weight and limited digging power it can't compare to a bigger machine, but if you take your time, it works incredibly well. I still need to post some of the pictures I took digging out some of these stumps.

I tell my wife I'm doing yard work but I think she is catching on now.....

/ New GC2410 #19  
Woody-- I sent you a PM concerning your mower deck-- let me know what you think when you get a chance.

On another note, been having a good time getting some more seat time on motorcycles with this warm weather!:D

/ New GC2410 #20  
The GC2410 is top/backend heavy with the backhoe on it and unfortunately there isn't a level spot in my entire yard (except right around my house), so the backhoe will be coming off when it is time to mow. Luckily it goes on and off very quickly. Actually, I'll probably just leave the hoe off, and only put it on when needed b/c it is quicker/easier to put the backhoe on vs. the mower deck!

So far I have 18+ hours on it, I have mowed the lawn twice, dug out about a dozen stumps, filled the holes, and have cleared some thick brush with the FEL. For a little machine that can mow the lawn beautifully without destroying it, I'm amazed at how well this thing can dig. Obviously due to the lighter weight and limited digging power it can't compare to a bigger machine, but if you take your time, it works incredibly well. I still need to post some of the pictures I took digging out some of these stumps.

I tell my wife I'm doing yard work but I think she is catching on now.....

I'm curious what you guys think of the MMM I'm looking at buying the 60". How is the quality of the cut? I have a JD x465 with a 62C on it and I'm just wondering if this will cut as well. Also I'm going to buy a rear tiller for it and am wondering if this will be a enough rear weight when using the FEL? The tiller is really heavy built and looks like it probably weighs quite a bit. I'm thinking of just leaving the tiller on in the winter to off set the use of the FEL? At least until I buy a back blade. Any thoughts?

Bill