massey 65,165

/ massey 65,165 #1  

gtobill

Tractor
JD 3038e
Been looking for a tractor for a while. Looked at all the new ones. Was looking at Craigslist tonight and there are several 65s and 165's for sale around $4-6K.
Would it be unreasonable to put a loader on these? Most list that they have power steering. Would one of these be good for 10 acres of woods. Looking to clear the cedars out and have a good tractor for mowing afterward. I am good at mechanical stuff and have had a few old tractors before for fun(restoring) but I need one to do so work for now.

Bill

Attachments

• massey.jpg
    massey.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 175
   / massey 65,165 #2  
My neighbor had a Massey 65 and 85 that he farmed over 750 acres with. They were great tractors. He had a loader on the 65 and did all his barn cleaning with it. Both tractors were real workhorses and rarely had any mechanical problems. When they did he never had a hard time getting parts for them.

/ massey 65,165
OK, found an older thread that said the hydraulic flow was low on these tractors. How involved is it to install a new pump or aux. pump for a loader? I see Westendorf makes a loader for this tractor. Any others? Looking at $16K to 20K for a similar tractor new with loader. Looking at all my options.