Looking at a 1964 MF 50

/ Looking at a 1964 MF 50 #1  

twtrout

I am new to this discussion group but I have been going to tractor shows in my area of East Tennessee (Powell, Knox County) for a while hoping to some day buy an older tractor to help take care of my 5 acres as well as to have something for my sons and me to do together.

I have been checking the classifieds locally for a while as well as Craigslist and have come across a MF 50 near here for sale for $3000. It was just listed yesterday on Craigslist. Here is the listing URL:

1964 MF 50 Tractor for Sale

I was kind of looking for a TO-35 or MF-35, but after reading the posts in this discussion group for a while figured this was probably a good price. If anybody else is interested in this tractor don't hesitate to call them. My wife is keeping close reins on the purse strings right now so I probably won't be able to buy this one anyhow.

twtrout

/ Looking at a 1964 MF 50 #2  
I am new to this discussion group but I have been going to tractor shows in my area of East Tennessee (Powell, Knox County) for a while hoping to some day buy an older tractor to help take care of my 5 acres as well as to have something for my sons and me to do together.

I have been checking the classifieds locally for a while as well as Craigslist and have come across a MF 50 near here for sale for $3000. It was just listed yesterday on Craigslist. Here is the listing URL:

1964 MF 50 Tractor for Sale

I was kind of looking for a TO-35 or MF-35, but after reading the posts in this discussion group for a while figured this was probably a good price. If anybody else is interested in this tractor don't hesitate to call them. My wife is keeping close reins on the purse strings right now so I probably won't be able to buy this one anyhow.

twtrout

The Perkins diesels that came in the MF were just a tick different than later Perkins (as in 135's 150's ect) The earlier models were indirect injection. They could be a little tempremental and hard to start compared to the extremely easy starting direct injection type. Diesel 35's and 50's were relatively rare compared to the Continental gas engine equipped versions. If the engine is in good shape, that's a steal. If it needs work, not so much. The Perkins 3-cylinder is probably one of, if not THE cheapest small diesel in existance to rebuild. Problem is, most people aren't diesel savvy come time to rebuild one. Most times they end up in a shop and rebuild cost goes up due to labor. Almost anyone with basic mechanical skills can rebuild a carb, but an injector pump requires special tools and special skills.

So... It may be a bargain, or it may be in need of cubic dollars. Hard to say with just a picture.