Looking at a MF 50

/ Looking at a MF 50 #1  

tmiller

Bronze Member
Tractor
Ford 8n Massey Ferguson 255 Massey Ferguson 265 NEW!!! Mccormick CX75
I am looking into a tractor down the road from me and was wondering what anyone knew about it? I think its a masey 50.
with ford 8n fenders.

i found this on it.

<MHP>
182 840 M2

Anyone know what year it might be?? Thanks for any help --taylor
It comes with the Hog.
Trying to get all info before i go try to get it. A friend said he was going to sell it for around $1500. Which I think is a steal!:)

IMG_2114.jpg

IMG_2113.jpg

IMG_2111.jpg

/ Looking at a MF 50 #2  
OK....First off, what you found is a PART # for part or casting where you found it....and that's MHF and not MHP, (as in Massey Harris Ferguson) All Massey part #'s end in M1 or M2 on those tractors. From the time Ferguson and Massey Harris began to merge in 1953, until the merger was complete in 1957, the company was known as Massey Harris Ferguson. Castings designed during that period will have MHF on them. Since the castings saw continued use after 1957, the MHF was still shown through the series change in 1964.

Serial # will be on a small metal plate, approx. 2" X 3", located on dash, next to steering column. If you see 4 small holes there, good chance someone removed the data plate already. To pinpoint year of model, you'll need that serial number.

The tractor is a Massey Ferguson 50, w/Z134 Continental gas engine. (32hp @ pto) The hood emblem indicates early model production. Those tractors were built from mid year 1957, until late year 1963 when the DX series (100 series) went into production. At that time, the 50 was replaced by the 150. The hood emblem was identical to your picture from model intro to sometime in 1960 when it was replaced with a 1 piece emblem/air intake.

Check carb brand. If it's a CARTER, you probably have a VERY early production run tractor (1957 to spring of '58) They switched to a MUCH better running MS carb after that. The Carter carb was also used on the Ferguson F40, the predicessor to the MF50.

If it'll run at all, $1500 IS a steal. In rough but running condition, they sell for $3000 and up here. That one doesn't appear to be particularly rough, just 50 years old...... I'd be all over that at $1500!

/ Looking at a MF 50 #3  
I am looking into a tractor down the road from me and was wondering what anyone knew about it? I think its a masey 50.
with ford 8n fenders.

i found this on it.

<MHP>
182 840 M2

Anyone know what year it might be?? Thanks for any help --taylor
It comes with the Hog.
Trying to get all info before i go try to get it. A friend said he was going to sell it for around $1500. Which I think is a steal!:)

QUOTE]

You bet it's a steal at $1500. Run, don't walk, and seal the deal.

I paid $3600 four years ago for a 1964 MF135 diesel that looked a lot worse than the MF50 your eyeballing.

DSCF0011-smallSmall-1.jpg

I like the way that MF50 looks with the rear wheels flipped to the dished-out configuration.

Those fenders on that MF50 don't look too different from the ones on my MF135.

/ Looking at a MF 50
thanks for your help and i like those back tires on that MF 135 --taylor

/ Looking at a MF 50 #5  
thanks for your help and i like those back tires on that MF 135 --taylor

This 135 is a standard field model that's been modified into that squat configuration for mowing and discing in the olive orchards around here. The previous owner lowered the front end by shortening the spindles and replaced the standard 28" dia rear wheel rims with 16" dia rims that handle those wide, low-floatation tires. Fun to drive, hard to tip this one over.

/ Looking at a MF 50 #6  
This one looks exactly like my 1956 Massey Harris 50. $1500 is a steal in my area even if it doesn't run. I paid $2800 for mine 6 years ago when I bought it from the original owner. He decided that at 81 years old he needed something with power steering. Mine came with chains and weights, and has a Lord loader w/ gravel bucket and snow bucket. It came with the original bill of sale, manuals, and a log book of maintenance, overhaul, and repairs. Mine doesn't look as clean as the one you're looking at. Good luck.

/ Looking at a MF 50 #7  
This one looks exactly like my 1956 Massey Harris 50. $1500 is a steal in my area even if it doesn't run. I paid $2800 for mine 6 years ago when I bought it from the original owner. He decided that at 81 years old he needed something with power steering. Mine came with chains and weights, and has a Lord loader w/ gravel bucket and snow bucket. It came with the original bill of sale, manuals, and a log book of maintenance, overhaul, and repairs. Mine doesn't look as clean as the one you're looking at. Good luck.

The Massey Harris 50 and the Ferguson F40 were the first generation of the Massey Ferguson 50. After the merger between MH and Ferguson, the dealers kept their separate names. MH dealers sold the MH50 and Ferguson dealers sold the F40. Both were produced in 1956 and early 1957. In mid year 1957, the Massey-Harris-Ferguson company changed names to Massey Ferguson. The single name/single dealer network stratagy was born along with the now famous "triple triangle" emblem.

For reasons I'll never understand, the F40 is the MOST sought after of the 3names/one tractor trio. The MH carries the lowest collectors interest. Logic says it should be just as valuable (if not more) than the F40. Not so.....

I've got dads old F40, my uncles old MF50, and would love to add a MH50 to the collection some day. My avatar is a Massey Ferguson 150, the next step in the progression, built from 1964 to 1975

/ Looking at a MF 50 #8  
why the diffrent size tires for plowing?

/ Looking at a MF 50 #9  
Did you buy the MF 50?

I own one and would like to compare

Ray...