Buying a Massey 1531 TLB

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #1  

3dayfunk

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1531
I've been in the process of buying a 1531 TLB for about 3 or 4 weeks. My dealer ordered it and informed me that it was "new in the crate" and being shipped from Texas. Two days ago he called and said he was putting the finishing touches on it and that it would be ready for pick up in a day or so. I drove by to see it. The tractor is very brand new. It has that new car smell about it. But as I examined the tractor, I noticed the backhoe had some minor scuffs. The loader had some scuffs and minor scratches also and it appeared the paint on the loader was slightly, very slightly, faded. I asked the dealer about these things and he said that the tractor was new in the crate but that the backhoe and loader were already in stock. He assured me that this is how it is done in the world of equipment dealers. I don't know. This is my first time buying a tractor and I guess I just assumed it was like buying a brand new truck...buying new means...flawless...brand stinking new, right?? So that's my question. Is this how tractors are bought new? With minor scuffs and slightly faded paint? BTW, I played with the backhoe and loader a bit on their backlot and I loved it. Ithink it's the perfect tractor for my needs.

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #2  
I am also new to the tractor world, ( purchasing soon ) So I say, Be sure to keep asking around about this, cause I agree with you that if I am buying NEW I want NEW! This all seems very fishy to me.
I guess the question is, did you pay for a new Hoe and Loader? If you did then you should get those new.

Chris

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB
Well Chris, I am paying for a new hoe and loader. According to the dealer both items have never been used...they've just been "in stock" so in his mind, they are new. What about the tractors that are sitting on the dealer's lot? Someone must buy them. They're exposed to all types of weather. They must fade at least a bit, right? Am I expecting to much to want a tractor that reeks of new paint, rubber, and plastic? I mean we're talking about 27k here. I don't know about everyone else here but to me that's ALOT OF MONEY!

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #4  
The only reason I can think of that a dealer would have a loader in stock is if he sold a tractor without the loader and had to remove it. Normally they order them in with the loader. When I bought mine the dealer only had tractors with loaders if I wanted one without a loader he would order it in that way. The backhoe would be different since it is more of an attachment then part of the tractor he may keep one in stock. In the end it's your money so you need to be happy. Talk to the dealer maybe he'll cut the price or give you some other deal, give you a price break on your 50 hr service or something like that.
Frank

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #5  
Well let me step in here.
I am a dealer and out of all the tractors I have sold I never had a perfect tractor every one has a scratch or nick or rub on them it is almost impossible to get one with out.

As for the loader being in stock most of your bigger dealer carry stock to fit the tractor as to their customers needs.
I have close to 60 tractors on my lot and I have over 30 backhoes in stock most of my tractors are sold with loader so they are all installed already. the backhoes we hang on as needed.

Same with 3pt attachments tons in stock waiting on customers.

Don't get me wrong you are pay for it and it should be shinny and bright but I think you will see almost every ddealer agree with me on this.

Alright, I did a face to face with the dealer today. I told him I really liked the tractor but had concerns over the faded paint on the loader. He gave me a choice; either $400.00 more for a brand new loader to be ordered and delivered or...he knocks off $400.00 plus free 50 hour service plus some other extras like welded hooks, etc. That's an $800.00 swing. I decided I could deal with the slightly faded loader and pocket the extra savings. I mean, it'll be scratched up shortly anyway, right?

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #7  
My TLB was free from scratches and paint wasn't fadded but it was a new arrival. Couldn't say that for the rear blade. It was already a bit rusty and I thought it was used -- until I tried it for the first time. Then I knew it was new! These things get scratched very easily and I still haven't figure why :p

You won't think about all this after a couple of hours of use...

Enjoy your new tractor!!!!

Max

Well, I guess I never really finished this story because I did decide to buy the 1531 with the slightly faded loader for $400.00 less plus perks. But when I went to pick it up the loader looked brand new...the entire tractor, loader, and backhoe looked flawless! I couldn't believe it. I shook the dealer's hand and asked if he had repainted the loader. He just smiled and said, "I can't reveal trade secrets, my friend. I want you to be happy about doing business with us". I don't know...I guess he had the loader repainted but I couldn't tell...everything looked beautiful. Needless to say, I am very happy with the tractor and I definitely feel I made the right decision on the dealer I chose. I just really like the guy. He obviously cares about how I feel as a customer.

But in the end, you're right, Max. I've spent about 3 hours on the backhoe digging out several stumps and I didn't spend a minute thinking about scratches on the machine. But...it sure was nice pulling that bad boy off the trailer on a bright sunny day and takin' pics while that fresh new smell still hung in the air. She's flawless...at least for awhile.

Dave

/ Buying a Massey 1531 TLB #9  
But...it sure was nice pulling that bad boy off the trailer on a bright sunny day and takin' pics while that fresh new smell still hung in the air. She's flawless...at least for awhile.

Dave

Good luck and good health to enjoy your new tractor ... and I for one would love to see more pics

Cheers

:)