Need help picking a model.

/ Need help picking a model. #1  

eatenabean

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF 1643
Ok this is my first time. :D I am going to buy a tractor in a few months but I cant really get a handle on which model I need or want.

I have about 18 acres, about 6 acres are cleared and I keep them cut with a Craftsman lawn tractor. I have a 1500 foot driveway that get washed away every time it rains. I also plan on clearing more land a little at a time.

Right now I like the 1540. The dealer said he could do that for about 21,900. Some of the guys I work with that have small farms said that I need about a 40 hp and they also said if I need a 40 hp go 1 or 2 steps higher. So that would put me at getting a 1547 or 1552. I talked to the dealer and he said that at the end of the year they are going to stop making the 1547's and higher. So this got my thinking should I get the 1540 or be looking at the 1643 or 1648? My head hurts. Please help!!

/ Need help picking a model. #2  
Farming, and replacing a Craftsman lawn tractor are very different things. It sounds to me like a 1540 would be more than enough tractor to serve your needs.

/ Need help picking a model. #3  
The 1540 is a very capable machine. We have a 125 acre farm and it does everything from loader work with the bucket and forks to pulling hay implements for baling.

Personally, I think the 1540 is the best all-around mid-size tractor on the market. Glad I got it instead of the 1552 I was looking at.

/ Need help picking a model.
OK thanks alot I think I am going to go with a 40 hp. So here is the next question. I like the 1540 and how everything is layed out. Has anyone seen a 1643 in person the 2 dealers around here does not have any. Everything looks to be close on paper with a few differences : Looks (Which I really Like, But havent seen in person), engine, a little bigger frame, look to have a little more comfort (but thats looks). Does anyone have an idea what the price difference would be? I just talked to the dealer about a 1540.

/ Need help picking a model. #5  
I have not seen a 1600 series tractor in person yet, but they do look nice and the seat/operator area appears to be different. Notice I didn't say "improved." The 1540 is laid out very well in the operator area and I have zero complaints about the layout. If the 1540 is cheaper than the 1643 (or closest model), then personally I'd go with the 1540.

But that's just me.

/ Need help picking a model. #6  
I also looked at the 1533 and 1540 before purchasing my tractor. I leaned towards the 1540 because of the PTO output and 40hp. The MF dealer here was going to sell the tractor to me for $20,500. Appears to be a great tractor for average sized guy. Just about bought it until I sat in it. At 6ft 7in tall and 250 pounds I felt like I was driving a Yugo. If you fit, it's a great machine. If not, look at the MF 2605 or a comparable utility tractor. The reason i did not buy the 2605 is because I could not get a straight answer from anyone about the rear differential lock. It shows NA in the specs but available for the 2615 and 2625. Why have a 4wd tractor that has only 1 turning rear wheel. STUPID! By the way, the dealer I spoke to has not seen the 1643 yet. Don't think there are to many out there if any. Good luck.