Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this?

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #1  

Lt CHEG

Platinum Member
Tractor
New Holland T5.120
I've posted some other things about what tractors I am most closely looking at. I figured the 1652 that I was mostly looking at was overkill, but from the responses that I have seen it appears that even the 1648 may be more overkill than I originally anticipated. So will a 1643 with 120 FEL reliably handle all of the following?

-Run an 84" rear discharge mower while still maintaining good speed with the Air Conditioning on in the summer?

-Run a 7 foot bush hog? - Likely I would run a 6 footer but if I get a good deal on a used 7 footer I'd like to keep my options open.

-Run a 14" two bottom plow with ease?

-Run a 72" or 84" box blade with ease?

-Run a 72" front mount snowblower and/or an 84" rear snowblower?

-How big a tiller or disc could I run with a 1643 cab?

I would be running loaded R4 tires for the tractor. Also I want to be able to do these things without really working the tractor too hard, and I also want to be able to maintain a pretty quick mowing speed, as I plan on mowing 5 to 5.5 acres at least once or twice a week. I really like the 1648 because I like the lifting capacity of the bigger loader that the 1648 offers as I may end up wanting to be able to lift 1 ton pallets of wood pellets off the back of a pickup truck in the future. I realize that I may have to remove a few bags in order to accomplish this task, but I figure my chances of doing this are better with the bigger loader. Also, if I can make a little extra money doing snow removal on the side in the winter, I'd be able to load taller trucks with snow using the bigger loader that the 1643 offers. I don't think that there is too much more that I would want to do besides what was mentioned. Would the 1643 be able to do these things for me? And more importantly would it be doing it easily enough that I could expect a good long life out of the tractor? If I can pull these things off with a 1643 cab, then it just may be the best value for me that I've found.

My other quandry is that I really like the ease and convenience of the HST transmission in the 1648 and 1652, but I'm thinking that I'd probably need 35 PTO horsepower for what I want and I'd be a little short with the HST transmission on the 1643 cab. It's not like this tractor will be used primarily for loader work but I will be putting in a driveway with this tractor which will be pretty loader intensive. I will also be using this for snow removal on my driveway. Also as previously mentioned if I can make a few extra bucks doing snow removal I would use the FEL for that. Would I really miss the HST transmission much if I went with a 1643 and Power Shuttle transmission? I also looked a lot at the Kubota 4240 and was surprised that most people thought that the Kubota 4240 would be way overkill for my needs. My biggest thing is that I don't like being hot in the summer mowing the lawn so I want a tractor with a cab and AC. I know that sucks away some power for running implements and I want a big mower so that i can mow my 5.5 acres or so in as close to 2.5 hours as possible. My whole parcel is only 6.5 acres so I know that a tractor of this size is generally considered overkill for that amount of land but this is about the smallest size tractor that I can get an air conditioned cab with. Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #2  
New Holland makes a 29 HP with cab which should handle your 6.5 acres easily. My Brother in law just bought one and it handles a 6 foot Bushog with ease.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #3  
I think you can do everthing except the 7" Rotary Cutter. All the 7 footers I've seen & run, you would want more tractor under you. It would also depend on what you were cutting, but the WOODS BB720 I've got is way too heavy for a compact, wouldn't even try it. There may be some cheaper, lighter brands, but you don't want junk either. 6ft is the right size for that tractor in my opinion. You'll have plenty of power when you get in the heavy stuff, and it will be easier on your 3pt hitch & PTO packs.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #4  
Keep in mind that A/C will rob 3 - 5 hp on any tractor - if you plan on using the A/C a lot and the 1643 is border line on hp, you should go up to the 1648. Also, the cab size is the same - point being the 1648 is a bigger engine, therefore it may generate more heat allowing the heater to perform a little better - not sure though.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #5  
I have a 1533 with the powershuttle and absolutely love it. You don't have to take your hands off the wheel or use the clutch to switch between forward/reverse and setting a constant speed is easy enough with the hand throttle or you can use the foot pedal for varying the rpms. For my uses, logging, grading/plowing (7' blade) the drive it's perfect.

My friend who has an HST (Kubota) said he preferred the powershuttle for loader work, pulling logs out of the woods but thought if you were doing a lot of forward/reverse work where you wanted to decelerate/accelerate quickly with out having to switch gears the HST is preferable.

I realize you're looking at a couple sizes up, but having gone with the smaller of the 2 tractors (1533 vs 1540) I'd opt for the more powerful one the next time. I don't notice a lack of power in low/mid range but cruising up the driveway it bogs down in 3rd/4th in the high range, and I don't have a/c sucking any power

I have the DL120 loader w/the heavy duty bucket and it's a beast of a loader. It doesn't hesitate with full load of crushed gravel or carrying logs. I have a hook bolted on the top center of the bucket which I've found incredibly useful.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this?
I realize you're looking at a couple sizes up, but having gone with the smaller of the 2 tractors (1533 vs 1540) I'd opt for the more powerful one the next time. I don't notice a lack of power in low/mid range but cruising up the driveway it bogs down in 3rd/4th in the high range, and I don't have a/c sucking any power

I think the 1643 would be the smallest I would probably look at. I figure I'd really like to have a 4 cylinder enginer, and just figure that with the price I was told on the 1643 vs. the 1635 it's just worth the little extra to go with the bigger tractor.

As an aside, the best price I got on a 1648 cab, with loader, HST transmission, loaded R4 tires delivered was just a hair under $36,000. I got a quote for a 1652 equipped the same way for less than $1,000 more. Meanwhile the 1643 with power shuttle, FEL, loaded R4 tires, etc. was about $32,800. How do those prices sound? And as long as I can live with a 6 foot brush hog (all I'd really want anyway), which would you all choose? Thanks

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #7  
Did you check out the MF QPS power shift. I think it is available on any of of the tractors you are looking at. That would be my choice rather than powershuttle or HST. You get option of upshifting and reversing in all gears with no parasitic drag of the HST transmission or higher maintenance of oil and filter change for the HST.
Any of the 3 tractors will be more than enough power to pull a 6 foot bush hog at 6-7 MPH in all but the heaviest of conditions. Rule of thumb for bushhogs is to allow 5 hp per foot and you will have plenty of power. I dont believe that you will notice any difference in HP with AC running or not running on your tractor engine at rated RPM and pulling a 6 foot mower. You would likely only know when it kicked in if the engine is idleing. With the 1643, you should be able to pull 8 foot mower and have 3 hp left for AC so the 6 foot will just be coasting along.
I have a 40 HP PTO tractor with Powershift and I can pull the 6 foot bush hog @ 14 MPH in normal pasture grass if I can stay in the seat, but it sure will beat up the operator and equipment at that speed. Normal mowing speeds of about 6 mph is comfortable speed and I can go that speed in all but waist high swamp grass while cutting about 4" high

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this?
Did you check out the MF QPS power shift. I think it is available on any of of the tractors you are looking at. That would be my choice rather than powershuttle or HST. You get option of upshifting and reversing in all gears with no parasitic drag of the HST transmission or higher maintenance of oil and filter change for the HST.
Any of the 3 tractors will be more than enough power to pull a 6 foot bush hog at 6-7 MPH in all but the heaviest of conditions. Rule of thumb for bushhogs is to allow 5 hp per foot and you will have plenty of power. I dont believe that you will notice any difference in HP with AC running or not running on your tractor engine at rated RPM and pulling a 6 foot mower. You would likely only know when it kicked in if the engine is idleing. With the 1643, you should be able to pull 8 foot mower and have 3 hp left for AC so the 6 foot will just be coasting along.
I have a 40 HP PTO tractor with Powershift and I can pull the 6 foot bush hog @ 14 MPH in normal pasture grass if I can stay in the seat, but it sure will beat up the operator and equipment at that speed. Normal mowing speeds of about 6 mph is comfortable speed and I can go that speed in all but waist high swamp grass while cutting about 4" high

I'll look into the DynaQPS, but I don't think that it's available on the 1643, only the 1648 and up. Honestly I haven't looked at the DynaQPS much as the dealer I have been working most closely with suggested I look at another transmission option. He said that there were a lot of problems when the DynaQPS first came out and he knows that I want to be happy with the tractor for 20 years so wanted to recommend a more time tested system. I don't think it's a matter of him trying to sell me what he has in stock, or sell me the more expensive system either as he doesn't have any of the tractors that I am looking at in stock, and the trasmission that he has most steadfastly recommended has been the least expensive Power Shuttle. The idea of less filters to change is definitely a nice feature too.

Oh and woodchuckcanuck, that shiny new 1643 of yours is what's got me thinking harder and harder about the 1643. How are you liking yours so far? I realize that we probably have different purposes in mind for the tractor, but it's always good to hear from a satsified owner.

/ Will an MF 1643 Cab Handle all of this? #10  
Woodchuckcanuck: did you price the difference between the QPS transmission and the HST. I am researching this online now in contemplation of buying a new tractor. I like the powershift and so far MF is the only compact tractor that I see this available on but I havent gotten to the point of checking dealers for prices. Lt Cheg gave some good pricing on some HST but nothing on the QPS.