In the Market for another Massey

/ In the Market for another Massey #1  

Wolfman

Bronze Member
Tractor
2016 MF 2706E HST
Hey everyone, I haven't been around here for a while. Last time I was here, I was living in New Hampshire and had purchased a new MF 1445 Hydro with FEL. I only had it a short while before we decided on moving to TX. We have been here for a few years, getting acquainted with the different regions and we are in the process of buying a small farm on 50 acres.

I loved the MF 1445 and appreciated the 4WD and Hydro for our rough 18 acre lot in NH. This new place we are looking at has about 38 acres of hay fields and about 12 acres that are wooded. I'm thinking that my needs are going to be different this time around, since I won't be dealing with snow removal, and this piece of land we are looking at is flat and mostly improved the way we would want it.

I'm pretty interested in getting a 2WD gear tractor. I loved the hydro for what I needed before, but I'm not going to be dealing with hills and won't be changing direction like I did on our previous property.

Right now I am considering the MF 2605, but the spec sheet states that it does not have a differential lock! I can't believe Massey would make a 2WD drive tractor without a differential lock, and I hope I am missing something. The tractor I had before my last Massey was a 2WD gear tractor, and I used the diff lock quite often - I cannot imagine being without one (that tractor though weighed almost half of what the 2605 weighs). I have also looked at the Mahindra 25 series and liked what I saw - and I am wondering if I might be better served with a Mahindra with a diff lock as opposed to a Massey without one (I really would like to get another Massey, though).

If anyone here purchased or considered purchasing a MF 2605, I'd love to hear your thoughts. Also if anyone knows where I can get MSRPs for the 2600 series, it might be helpful before I start talking price with different dealers in the area (I really wish my old dealer, Northwood Power had a location out here - I really loved dealing with them!).

Thanks for any thoughts or opinions.

/ In the Market for another Massey #2  
Would a 2WD 2615 be more tractor than you are looking for? The reason I ask is that I believe the 2615 and 2625 both have differential lock. Massey left it off of the 2605 (for some reason). I have a 2615 4WD and it has differential lock.

/ In the Market for another Massey #3  
Wolfman,

I know your thinking about the 2605, but the 2615 has so many more useful features, like diff lock, disc brakes, optional 8x8 shuttle, independent pto, 10 more pto hp, and more weight. I bought the 2625 4wd with shuttle and have been very pleased with it. I remember a few months ago Massey had a special on the 2605 2wd for $9,999 +++, but still a good price. I priced out a 2615 2wd 8x2 trans. before I bought mine last year at $12,200 cash price. Hope this helps.

Nick

/ In the Market for another Massey
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure of the pricing between the 2605 and 2615. I was looking at prices on TractorHouse.com and noticed the 2605 going for around $11,500. I'm not sure what the MSRP is on the 2605, and wasn't sure if $11,500 was a good price or not.

If I can find a dealer willing to work with me on a 2615 for around $12,200 like MF231S had mentioned, I would definitely be looking to go that way instead. I spent so much on my last tractor (and did not like having monthly payments), that I decided that this time i wanted to try to get the best bang for my buck close to $10K.

I have a Massey dealer near my house, which is probably 75 miles from the property we are looking at. I will stop in and speak with them and try to get an idea of what they would be willing to do on a 2615. I think there is another Massey dealer probably around 30 miles from the property we are looking at, so at least I have a couple of places to stop by.

MF231S, after looking at the 2615 what was your opinion? Did you look at any other brands with a comparable model? Thanks for any other info...

/ In the Market for another Massey #5  
Wolfman,

Overall the 2615 is pretty much a refined Massey Ferguson 231s which has been a good tractor. The 2615 has better brakes and more option choices than the 231s does. The only reason I didn't buy the 2615 is because I wanted something different from what I have now. I did check out the John Deere 5d/E series and they were pretty nice, but I don't care for flat top fenders as it's hard to see over them. The Deere also only has the 9/3 trans I wanted the 8x8 shuttle. The Deere 5065E that compares with my 2625 was about $1500 more, and I actually liked the feel of the Massey over the Deere. If you have been happy with Massey I would stick with Massey as they offer a great "bang for your buck". Let me know what you decide.

Nick

/ In the Market for another Massey #6  
Thanks for the comments. I wasn't sure of the pricing between the 2605 and 2615. I was looking at prices on TractorHouse.com and noticed the 2605 going for around $11,500. I'm not sure what the MSRP is on the 2605, and wasn't sure if $11,500 was a good price or not.

If I can find a dealer willing to work with me on a 2615 for around $12,200 like MF231S had mentioned, I would definitely be looking to go that way instead. I spent so much on my last tractor (and did not like having monthly payments), that I decided that this time i wanted to try to get the best bang for my buck close to $10K.

I have a Massey dealer near my house, which is probably 75 miles from the property we are looking at. I will stop in and speak with them and try to get an idea of what they would be willing to do on a 2615. I think there is another Massey dealer probably around 30 miles from the property we are looking at, so at least I have a couple of places to stop by.

MF231S, after looking at the 2615 what was your opinion? Did you look at any other brands with a comparable model? Thanks for any other info...

Not sure if you would interested, but we have a MF 2625 2wd with only 117hrs on it. Its still under warranty. Gear drive with shuttle shift. Ind PTO, not a live PTO like most 2600 series. It has a Canopy, factory brush guard and factory front weights. Its still like new. The customer just went to a bigger tractor. We can put you in this tractor right!!!! $11,800. Our dealership is in North Alabama. P.S. the 2605 has dry brakes as well as no diff lock

/ In the Market for another Massey
Not sure if you would interested, but we have a MF 2625 2wd with only 117hrs on it. Its still under warranty. Gear drive with shuttle shift. Ind PTO, not a live PTO like most 2600 series. It has a Canopy, factory brush guard and factory front weights. Its still like new. The customer just went to a bigger tractor. We can put you in this tractor right!!!! $11,800. Our dealership is in North Alabama. P.S. the 2605 has dry brakes as well as no diff lock

Thank you for your offer. We are expecting to close on our new place at the end of this month or the beginning of Feb. Once we are sure the deal goes through as expected, I will be ready to move on something. I was hoping to find a local dealer who I can build a relationship with, but will get in touch with you to see if the 2625 is still around. Thanks again for offering such a great deal.

/ In the Market for another Massey #8  
I can't believe the 2605 doesn't have a diff lock....I didn't know anyone produced a tractor, 2 or 4 WD without it. Are there any other makes/models currently being made this way?

/ In the Market for another Massey #9  
I can't believe the 2605 doesn't have a diff lock....I didn't know anyone produced a tractor, 2 or 4 WD without it. Are there any other makes/models currently being made this way?

The 2605 is really the economy tractor that allows people to get a tractor at a great price and still be able to watch your budget. Back earlier in 2009 MF was allowing us to offer a cash deal for $9,999.00 for the 2605 2wd. If you think about it, that was a heck of a deal, a utility tractor and not a compact for under 10k. I dont think there was any other line out there that could compete with that. Plus, if you bought the 4wd model, there really is no need for diff lock, and for 2010 we have really great deals on the 2605 4wds.

/ In the Market for another Massey #10  
Hi Wolfman

Im also considering a new 2605 and according to the MF website they are offering a free upgrade to 4WD on the 2605 through the end of January.

LimitedTimeOffers

Ive been on to dealerships near by trying to get a delivered price but they are also just now trying to figure what the T&Cs are.

Might not match your timeframe exactly but I thought it might help.