GC2610 50 HR Service

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #1  

rac102355

Tractor
MF GC2610 TLB
First time tractor owner. Was wondering what the cost is to have the 50 hr service done on a MF GC2610. Trying to decide if I should attempt to do it on my own.

Thanks

Last edited:
   / GC2610 50 HR Service #2  
If you have ever changed oil in a car, or drained a bottom end of a boat motor, you'll be fine.

The hassle of transporting to the dealer and rather hefty charge for shop time, (2 hours typically @ $100 per) plus materials motivates a lot of guys. Think you can do it? It's not hard, really.

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #3  
I agree with bp about doing this 50 hour service yourself, unless your MF dealer is one of the very few that is going to perform this sevice for free, including the pickup and delivery of your tractor. Don't forget to save your receipts for your parts in case you ever need to submit proof of the 50 hour service or any of the other required service.
I would also check on the pricing for parts from your local auto supply versus MF to see what the difference is for the price of parts .
In your operator instruction book (owners manual) the section on lubrication and maintenance ( my manual is on page 51) clearly identifies each required frequency of service: after first 50 hours; daily; 50 hours; 100 hours; 250 hours; and yearly.
F.Y.I. : I am planning on purchasing a cordless grease gun on line for about $140 (12V Lincoln) with the money that I will save doing this sevice myself :D :D :D.
KC

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #4  
Agree here... not bad, except for the amount of fluid in the HST. Some folks get a large container/drain pan; I just put the drain plug back in when my 1.5-gallon drain pan got near to full, dumped it, began again....

I also thought the tractor was "broken" when I started it back up-- it takes around 10 minutes of running --or so-- to get the fluid back into all the places it needs to be so the backhoe & FEL will work. Just wait it out.

If you follow instructions in manual, you'll be fine. I figure I saved about $100 doing it myself.

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #5  
When we do the 50 hour service the tractor is gone through from end to end, all the bolts are checked, all fluids are changed and any warranty work is done. We take 4-5 hours to do a 50 hour service. That said, yes you can save money if you do it yourself. Our techs are checking for unusual particles in the fluids and if found, they go deeper. Any problems found are covered by warranty.

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #6  
Put me down in the "did it myself" category.

I planned a Saturday when the weather was nice and I didn't have anything else that needed my attention. Then I set the garage stereo to a great classic rock station and went from one end to the other. There are lots of folks on here who have posted threads about tips and tricks that make it go smoothly.

I used AMSOIL and bought the filters from the dealer since they were only a couple bucks more than the auto parts store. I really like the guys at the shop and they have helped me on many occasions. One tip they gave me was to put a little transmission fluid in the hydraulic oil - it doesn't take much ( a few ounces) just enough to give it a tint. This makes it MUCH easier to see in the little site glass.

Also, don't overlook the, "Hey honey, with the money I saved I was able to buy a [insert essential tool name here]" opportunity. :rolleyes::D

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #7  
Do it yourself, it's a good chance to get to know your tractor.

With the money you save, you can easily cover the difference in cost to use synthetic oils.

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #8  
Hey MF Dealer Rick, thats a good service you perform for your customers. If I happen to start experiencing problems with the tractor about 50 hours, then I think I would have my MF dealer do this service. The problem I have is my MF dealer is 170 miles away and now after I purchased the tractor, there is a new MF dealer that is closer, but still 160 miles away :eek:. Thats quite a long distance to to go to pay for a 50 hour service. I also drain any first oil change through either a cheese cloth or the wifes panty hose. That way I can capture and inspect any foreign particles that drain out. I do not return them to her after the oil change :D :D :D. KC

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #9  
We do not charge for pick up or delivery for our customers. you will know your tractor much better if you do it your self. just plan on spending a day and go through the tractor ckecking all the nuts and bolts, while changing the filters and fluids.

/ GC2610 50 HR Service #10  
We do not charge for pick up or delivery for our customers. you will know your tractor much better if you do it your self. just plan on spending a day and go through the tractor ckecking all the nuts and bolts, while changing the filters and fluids.
Northwood Power is a class act...I've dealt with John and you absolutely couldn't ask for better service...I'm 900 or so miles away, but they will go the extra mile when you call. I purchased my block heater from them. First class people all the way.