Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648??

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #1  

Woodcanoeguy

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD 830 FEL, JD 820 mint, MF 35, TO35
Hello...I am a new member and really appreciate the forum for all the help asked for and offered here.....I am wanting to purchase a MF 1648 while the good financing and extra warranty is offered. I have heard that Tractor dealers work on a 8% margin? I have always dickered on my car purchases and never pay more than 85-90 % of dealer list. But is it feasible and proper to bargain with a MF tractor dealer. To what extent if so?

Seem like some folks here have a hard time even getting what they wanted delivered to them. Should I ask to pay a lower than list price ...or ask for an implement thrown into the deal.

Never got a chance to purchase for myself a brand new tractor but have had a dozen used ones so am not familiar with the buying "New" process.

I am excited to order a new MF, I really like the new MF 1600 line-up.......Thanks for any advice.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #2  
Bargain to your heart's content.

The dealer is a businessman and has sold a lot more tractors than you will buy in 100 lifetimes. He knows what he is doing and will not lose money on the deal no matter what.

It is perfectly reasonable to look at several dealers, but when you actually buy, service is more important than a few dollars now, and how close he is may also be important.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648??
Thanks for the comments.....unfortunately there is only one MF dealer within 50 miles of me....used to be several and I have bought used tractors from each one of those. They were really nice family run dealerships but most have gone Kubota now. JD has gone the corporate box store and the family JD dealerships are drying upas well. The one MF dealer left has been around a long time and has a good reputation. Won't any dealer offer service/warranty work on any MF tractor, even bought elsewhere?

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #4  
Any dealer should service it, but you may go to the back of the line, behind his own customers.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #5  
Bargain to your heart's content.

The dealer is a businessman and has sold a lot more tractors than you will buy in 100 lifetimes. He knows what he is doing and will not lose money on the deal no matter what.

It is perfectly reasonable to look at several dealers, but when you actually buy, service is more important than a few dollars now, and how close he is may also be important.

That is some great advice and true all the way in my limited experience, I do have a question for you Dave about the 110TLB, have you found a good supplier for filters and service materials?

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #6  
Won't any dealer offer service/warranty work on any MF tractor, even bought elsewhere?

Warranty is not a profit opportunity with farm machinery dealers we very rarely get our costs back for warranty repair. Unlike Automotive industry that pays a bonus for warranty service. But autos are more mobile and if travelling across country auto manufacturers will pay bonus to get them serviced by dealers other than the selling dealership. Tractors are less mobile and thus why the service is supported by the selling dealership. We have the choice to work on machines purchased at other locations. Our Policy is to Service those that Support us First and speaking with other dealers of all brands that is their policy too. They may do warranty work for machines bought at another location but the customers that purchase from them are first to be serviced once those are taken care of then the customer that purchased at another location may get serviced or be serviced at normal shop rate less warranty credit received. I always recommend buying from your local Massey Ferguson Dealer...there's more to sale than a price. It's a complete value Sales, Service, Knowledge and Support. Cheapest isn't always the best!

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #7  
Warranty is not a profit opportunity with farm machinery dealers we very rarely get our costs back for warranty repair. Unlike Automotive industry that pays a bonus for warranty service. But autos are more mobile and if travelling across country auto manufacturers will pay bonus to get them serviced by dealers other than the selling dealership. Tractors are less mobile and thus why the service is supported by the selling dealership. We have the choice to work on machines purchased at other locations. Our Policy is to Service those that Support us First and speaking with other dealers of all brands that is their policy too. They may do warranty work for machines bought at another location but the customers that purchase from them are first to be serviced once those are taken care of then the customer that purchased at another location may get serviced or be serviced at normal shop rate less warranty credit received. I always recommend buying from your local Massey Ferguson Dealer...there's more to sale than a price. It's a complete value Sales, Service, Knowledge and Support. Cheapest isn't always the best!

Are you serious? That sounds absurd. There were literally ZERO MF 1648 cab tractors available in Michigan (dealers couldn't get them) and I had to go to Wisconsin to find one.

You're saying that my local dealer (20 miles from me) should have the OPTION to perform warranty work or not?

I can't imagine that MF/AGCO would allow that.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #8  
The Selling Dealer is Responsible for Warranty of that Tractor. If they choose to sell outside their PAR (Primary Area of Responsibility) they also assume the risk associated with Service Programs (Recalls) and expense to repair. Why we will not sell outside our PAR. We feel our customers deserve more than just a price. Dealers can transfer machines from other dealers. If I have customers outside my PAR I will recommend them visit their local Massey Ferguson Dealer so if they need service they can obtain it locally. Warranty is at the dealership of Purchase, always has been and travel costs are never covered under warranty policy. If your want warranty locally from your local dealer I would discuss this with them before purchasing from another dealer; what their policy is for warranty for equipment not purchased from them. There are situations that we cannot offer the machine example Rental Returns, Lease Returns or Close-Out Machines that I cannot transfer into our dealership and the customer discusses this prior to purchase from another dealership. Normally if warranty does not cover the costs of repair he pays the difference. I assume that difference when I sell and warranty...part of cost of doing business.

Put yourself in your local dealers shoes: Why would you do something that you know will not cover the costs? I look at it if it was good enough to travel to purchase from another dealer...Shouldn't it be good enough to take it back to them for service??? Not trying to be start an argument but there's more than just selling on a price. I send my mechanics to service schools to learn the ins and outs and invest thousands of dollars annually in service tools so I can take care of our customers. One of the reasons Massey Ferguson Warranty is at the dealership not at off-site warranty repair center like some brands require.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #9  
Is this PAR business concept unique to Massey Ferguson?

I know that is NOT the business model some other manufacturers follow.

I bought a new machine in the next state just before moving from that state to our current home. One of the first things I did after moving was introduce myself to a local dealer and inquire about warranty and service support.
I was welcomed with open arms, given a tour of their facility, given a company T-shirt, and encouraged to buy some brand specific tractor accessories at a generous discount. I came away expecting that I will be a "customer for life" with that dealership. I'm by nature very
dealer service oriented. Over the next many years they'll make some nice money on my loyalty to them and my wife and I are just starting to think about a second tractor purchase. This dealership will get the business.

/ Should I bargain with dealer on a new MF 1648?? #10  
Today I spoke directly with AGCO (AGCO answers hotline) about this...

They told me that technically, while a dealer is a franchisee authorized to sell and service MF products, they would expect each dealership to honor warranty repairs.

However, they did state that as a private franchisee, the dealer could technically refuse to honor a warranty repair, though they would be surprised and disappointed if that were to happen.

I then spoke with the out of state dealer where I purchased my MF. He stated that while technically a dealer could refuse service to any person for any reason, he could not imagine any dealer refusing to perform warranty service, or any service, to a customer... and said that would be a pretty lousy business model. He stated that the warranty for my tractor is registered with MF and that I should be able to receive warranty work at any MF dealer.

I then called my local MF dealer and asked them and they were dumbfounded. They stated that they would be proud to honor any MF warranty repair and were surprised at the idea that another dealer was claiming they would refuse service at their own discretion. He also said that they rarely see the MF tractors back for warranty work... which I always like to hear!

I guess I'm glad I have a good and honorable MF dealer in my own state.