Buying Advice FEL for a 1966 MF135

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135 #1  

Mike476

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab
Hi - have been reading threads on this forum for some time now, have learned a lot that's helped me maintain my MF135. I have a small horse farm and am thinking about a FEL for the old girl.
It's a 1966 4 cyl gas and I am concerned that the front end may not take the weight of a FEL. Is the front end on the old girl able to take the punishment or have I got an excuse to start looking for a second tractor, couldn't give my massey up, works too well.

Thanks

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135 #2  
Looking for something like that (bought with the tractor in 1963 under the brand name MF)?

Attachments

• IMGP7025 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    IMGP7025 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    277.1 KB · Views: 4,740
  • IMGP7027 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    IMGP7027 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    285.2 KB · Views: 601
  • DSCF1076 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1076 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    399.5 KB · Views: 1,163
  • DSCF1079 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    DSCF1079 [R駸olution de l'馗ran].JPG
    347.6 KB · Views: 7,471
   / FEL for a 1966 MF135
Wow:thumbsup: That's quite a piece of kit, might take me a while to move the manure pile, by the look of that stump you're not afraid to put it to good use!

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135 #4  
Hi - have been reading threads on this forum for some time now, have learned a lot that's helped me maintain my MF135. I have a small horse farm and am thinking about a FEL for the old girl.
It's a 1966 4 cyl gas and I am concerned that the front end may not take the weight of a FEL. Is the front end on the old girl able to take the punishment or have I got an excuse to start looking for a second tractor, couldn't give my massey up, works too well.

Thanks

The MF150 has a stronger front end and is better suited for an FEL. I don't think I'd even bother putting an FEL on my 1964 MF135 diesel. The front axles on the 135

DSCF0251 (Small).JPG

are pretty dinky compared to the axles on my 2008 Mahindra 5525 with the ML250 FEL (6ft bucket, 2950 lb lift capacity to 10.5 ft height).

DSCF0176 (Small).JPG

The 135 is a 45 hp (engine) tractor weighing about 4000 lb while the 5525 is a 54 hp tractor (engine) weighing about 5200 lb.

The other concern for the 135 is the relatively limited gpm capacity of the internal hydraulics. Folks who add FELs to 135s generally install an external hydraulic pump to the front of the engine crankshaft. You have to be careful if you take this approach. The guy who sold me the 135 (the second owner) said that the original owner busted the crankshaft right in the front main bearing by trying to run a hydraulic pump off the front of the engine.

Just a few considerations to keep in mind before you spend $$$$ trying to make the 135 into something it ain't.

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135
I agree, the front axles are definately a limiting factor. I didn't know there was a problem with hooking up an aux hyd pump, good to know.

I did have a problem with the pump on mine, as well as rigging for the 3PH. I was able to download the manual, it gave me enough to walk through it pretty easily.

I like the 135 but I need a 4wd with loader for some of the work I'm doing, time to start looking.

Attachments

• HPIM0647.JPG
    HPIM0647.JPG
    745 KB · Views: 3,374
   / FEL for a 1966 MF135 #6  
And lets not forget about the front axle mount, and pivot pin. A loader will cause more wear.

df.

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135
My first thought was that for light work putting a FEL on my 135 might work. Reading the posts I'm convinced my concern over the front end is valid, I'm not interested in tearing the old girl up. I work it plenty hard, skidding logs, landscaped my lot after I cleared 2 acres, snow removal, dragging paddocks and moving manure.

Still, I'm at the point now where I'm going to be removing stumps, moving soil etc. Not something I can do with what I have.

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135 #8  
If you keep the loader scaled to the ability of the 135 tractor you will be OK.

I have seen many loaders on 35 and 135 tractors that are too large for the little tractors. Keep an eye out for a MF 38 loader ( fits a 35 to 165) ....I got one off Craigslist a few weeks ago for $175 included a valve...a great buy for me. Putting it on a TO35 to use to do small lifting. Has a 2000 lb breakout and about a 1000 lift capacity... the smaller bucket 36" ( has both a manure fork and a dirt bucket) keeps you from over loading the axle. I have manuals, installation and sales lit if you need help with installing one. Easy to install and take off.....but not quite a quick disconnect.

Take it easy and you will be OK...or if you just need a loader for a week...rent one.

Terry's Tractor Company
Ridgefield, WA
Vintage AG Equipment
360-608-7828

/ FEL for a 1966 MF135
There are a few retired farmers in the area that refurbish old tractors like mine, I've been looking in the local area for one that would fit and have asked them to let me know if they come across anything. No luck so far.

Have been thinking about getting a FEL for a while now. We have horses and moving manure, dirt for riding rings and just general landscaping work is getting to be a little too much for what I've got.