MF 1600 series question

/ MF 1600 series question #1  

Mike476

Veteran Member
Tractor
MF 135 Z134 Continental, MF 1660 Cab
Hello,

I"m looking for a second tractor, currently have a 135. Looking at the 1600 series they seem well engineered but I found myself wondering whether the rear axle housings looked a little less substantial than they could be (photos only). I haven't been able to find any literature that gives their rating and the nearest dealer is 100 miles away, all the posts I've read are from owners that love their machine, anyone have any info on their rating. I know the specs for the 3pt as far as lift capacity, am wondering how that compares to the axle rating. Thanks.

Mike

/ MF 1600 series question #2  
Hi Mike. I bought a 1643 last april. In the operator manual, the maximum load capacity (platform model)
Maximum weight capacities: front axel capacity = 3968 pounds
rear axel capacity = 3968 pounds
total capacity = 6614 pounds
Those are the number they give ( page F5 of the book)

Weight distribution for Hydrostatic model (weight of the tractor)
front axel weight 1422 pounds
rear axel weight 1962 pounds
total weight 3384 pounds
So if we do some easy calculation, I guess you can put one ton (2000 pounds) of load on this rear axel, that is a nice load.
The rear linkage lift capacity at ball ends is 2800 pounds
at 24 inches is 2535 pounds
Have a nice day. Roger
There is a wiew of my rear end :D

Attachments

• 124.jpg
    124.jpg
    729.7 KB · Views: 438
   / MF 1600 series question
Hi Roger, nice rear end!

I like the numbers you provided and the ratio of front to rear weight looks good as well. How do you find it for stability on uneven grade? Do you have the rears loaded or do you find you don't need to for what you use it for.
I like the 4300 for the lower RPM range and plenty of HP, fuel economy must be reasonable too.
The local dealer expects to have another on his lot in the next couple of weeks, anxious to get a close up look at one.

Mike

/ MF 1600 series question #4  
Mike I use mine mostly for mowing, tires are NOT loaded, I,m waiting after this winter to see how it will manage in plowing the driveway (400 feet but with 4wd I don,t think Ill have big problems) I do not want a too heavy tractor because I have to carry it on an other lot I have 100 miles from home ( live on a 60 acres lot and have another 145 acres woodlot) and mowing and heavy tractor do not go together..
When mowing sideway to low slope hills ( maybe less than 20 degrees) it is stable.
Last week I lift with a hook in the bucket a poplar 25 to 30 feet 14 in. to 8 in. small butt and when I was 5 feet high with the bucket the log was not perfectly in center and went to my right, my left rear wheel lift a few inches ( I drop the log immediatly) and took it back to 3 feet high and place it where I wanted. It was the only time a wheel left the ground. I pulled the full poplar log that was 55 feet long 17in.big butt to 8 in.with no problem ( started in low gear and it was so easy I put it in medium gear (HST))
When I put the loader down and pushes dirt of course I could use more weight BUT NOTHING CAN BE HEAVY AND LIGHT AT THE SAME TIME.... but it is easy to put weight ( box blade or a 800 pounds cement bloc that I made)Those are the experiences I had with that tractor. I had another tractor for 10 years but I had my 1643 in april, I can tell you I love my tractor and do not regret my choice. If you check the rear axel notice that it is not a full lenght axel . Go and try one it is a very nice ride.
If you need more power have a look at the 1648 (48 hp but the same engine than the 1643), the loader is much stronger (loader and 3 pts and weight 3780 pds). I do not remember but the rear axel might be full lenght.

See you. Roger

Roger, I use my tractor for the same thing you do mostly, a little logging / snow removal and move a little dirt / manure. I would probably load my tires, I have a little 22 HP ride on that we use to mow a little more than an acre of grass, about 1.5 refreshment (no refreshments on the MF135).
I used 4300 in my last thread when asking about fuel economy, meant to say 1643. My 135 is really good on fuel, can work it all day on a single tank (mid RPMs), how do you find your 1643 for fuel economy?
The dealer nearest to me here in NS had only ordered a few of the 1600's and sold them all pretty quickly, is hoping to get his next shipment in a couple of weeks so I haven't been able to really get a good look at one, only JD/Kioti/NH and Mahindra dealers in my immediate area. I liked the Kioti but am a little reluctant after reading about some of the closures of dealerships once an area is saturated with their product.

Thanks, Mike

/ MF 1600 series question #6  
Hi Mike ! I think it is not hard on fuel ( my other tractor was an Oliver 550 on gas). The tank is 13 gal. and 2 weeks ago I almost filled it up ( was missing an inch or so) and I mow twice that means almost 6 hours (total)with a 6 ft mower RPM at 2200 to 2400 (mostly 2200) and 1.5 hour logging and my tank is 1/4 to 3/8 now so I think it is economical. So anyone doing any job will do a day without fuelling.
By the way if you do some logging try to get yourself (if you do not have any) a logging winch. I own a Farmi 351P and those little beast works very well, safer for the driver. When logging I always felt the front end well anchored to the ground (I have a loader). Do you want yours HST or other shift ?? Hst works wery well on hill (always on **gear** ) and for mowing you will cut your mowing time and very precise, you can go by the 1/4 inch. I,m shure I,ll be plowing snow a lot faster too.
If you have your tires filled it shurely will give you a lot more stability and traction.
When you will try the tractor, you will notice it is not noisy, everything is on rubber ( Rops folding on rubber, platform, even the draw bar is locked with a nut to cut noise), the platform do not vibrate.
If you get your tractor inside, do not forget that the ROPS is 8ft 2 in......so it has to be folded if your door is an 8 footer. Have a nice day. Roger

Attachments

• 121.jpg
    121.jpg
    807.4 KB · Views: 736
Roger,

After reading your post I did a little reading on the Farmi 351P winch you have, nice piece of equipment. Definitely worth having if you do any real skidding, probably more tha I would want to pay new (around $3800) but definitely worth keeping an eye open for used.

I have read a lot on the 1600s, they seem like a really well engineered tractor. It is surprising how tired you get if you forget your ear defenders, especially when I wrestle my old MF135 with standard steering around all day, working in the woods is a workout for sure. Having a tractor that is a little quieter and less to manhandle would sure make a difference, not that I don't like a good workout every once in a while.

The fuel economy sounds good too, I am looking at an HST as well, although there seem to be a growing number of people that say they prefer the shuttle.

Can't wait to take a good look at one and see what they're going to be asking as a price. I may end up driving out of Province, not afraid of having to do that if the savings are worthwhile.

Mike

/ MF 1600 series question #8  
Roger,

After reading your post I did a little reading on the Farmi 351P winch you have, nice piece of equipment. Definitely worth having if you do any real skidding, probably more tha I would want to pay new (around $3800) but definitely worth keeping an eye open for used.

I have read a lot on the 1600s, they seem like a really well engineered tractor. It is surprising how tired you get if you forget your ear defenders, especially when I wrestle my old MF135 with standard steering around all day, working in the woods is a workout for sure. Having a tractor that is a little quieter and less to manhandle would sure make a difference, not that I don't like a good workout every once in a while.

The fuel economy sounds good too, I am looking at an HST as well, although there seem to be a growing number of people that say they prefer the shuttle.

Can't wait to take a good look at one and see what they're going to be asking as a price. I may end up driving out of Province, not afraid of having to do that if the savings are worthwhile.

Mike

The power shittle is slick for sure, and no whine like the hydro.

Good luck with your decision.

df.

/ MF 1600 series question #9  
I paid $ 28,000 for mine (you have to add the taxes of course :D) for a 1643, HST, loader quick steer attach (wich I suggest), 72in.HD bucket, platform , industrial tire, 2 hyd. remote in the rear,block heater.
The choice of your transmission is your choice, what you are confortable with. Good luck.

That's a pretty good price, might have to make a trip. Thanks for the insight Roger, much appreciated!

Mike