Buying Advice Massey 241 the ticket?

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #1  

Slowtorque

Tractor
Cub Cadet 1782
I've been looking at tractors for several months now. Started off thinking maybe a new compact JD with a loader and 4wd might be nice. I'm sure it would, but I doubt I would use it much. We have only 5 acres and my main use would be using a box blade to work over my 400 foot long gravel drive. Maybe rent or buy a tiller attachment to till areas in the woods for seeding wildlife mixes. Maybe rent a post hole digger attachment sometime. Haul some trees out of the woods. That sort of thing. I did find a real nice Massey 241 with the Perkins diesel in exc shape and only 291 hours. It has a canopy and the seller is asking 8500 USD. I can afford this and some additional to buy the box blade, a lift boom, etc. I think maybe an aftermarket loader will fit this tractor but I don't know if it is really suited for a loader or not. I don't know if this tractor is priced right or not. It is about a 2000 model I believe. THose of you familiar with this model, would it be suitable for my intended use? Is the price in line? Thanks for any advice. BTW, I'm in the Carolinas.

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #2  
The tractor is a good size for what ur wanting to do. I think the price might b alittle high I would try to get him down to 7k or maybe 7500.

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #3  
That seems like a pretty big tractor for 5 acres. Also, from what I have read and from my looking, it is usually much cheaper to get a tractor with a FEL already on it.
As a comparison, I don't have a long driveway, but I have 10 acres and my tractor is only 21 hp and it does fine. It came with a FEL 4' rear finish mower and 5' bush hog for less than what you are talking about. It is a 2003 Kioti and does just fine. No matter what brand you are looking at they will all perform pretty much the same HP to HP. I am not pushing my brand, only a comparison for you.

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #4  
I gave $8,000 for my '98 Massey Ferguson 231 about 4 years ago. It has 38 engine hp and 34 pto hp. It had 480 hours on it. (It now has 900) I got it at a VERY good price.

That 241 you're considering is a STEAL...

/ Massey 241 the ticket?
Here is the link to the CL ad. It is a 4 hour trip for me just to go see this. And then I'd have to have a friend drive back with me to haul it home (I don't have a trailer hauling rig any longer). If I am gonna go, I'd better go this week.

Massey Ferguson 241 Tractor : 291 Hours

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #6  
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!

Man you better jump ALL over that deal!! The implements too!!! I would go as fast as I could to get there. I'd call and make sure it hasn't been taken yet!!

/ Massey 241 the ticket?
Travis, you're killing me! I plan to talk to seller tonite. I don't know a lot about the 241 and how it compares to the apparently more common 245. I've always wanted a 135 with the Perkins diesel. This is, I think, the closest thing to that in a newer model. I need to find out if it has diff lock and I know I don't want the MultiPower feature.

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #8  
Yes, the 241 HAS diff lock. I'm almost certain it DOES NOT HAVE the MultiPower feature. It has the common 8 forward/ 2 reverse transmission (high and low ranges). It's basically the same design/setup as my 231, and the older MFs, just a bigger engine.

If I lived anywhere close to where that tractor is, I can honestly tell you that you would have missed out on this deal...

/ Massey 241 the ticket?
One more thing: does anyone know if an aftermarket loader can be found for this model MF? Is this advisable?

/ Massey 241 the ticket? #10  
I'm sure Bush Hog, Woods, and Koyker makes a loader for it. You could even check with a Massey Ferguson/Agco dealer.