Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe

/ Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe #1  

JCC

I am looking for info on a MF 1017 backhoe I am considering buying. Not much info on the web.

What is the weight, years of production, hp requirements for this backhoe? Any links to specs, photos etc would be much appreciated.

/ Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe #2  
When I get back to the office ill look that up for u.

/ Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe #3  
What model of tractor are you planning on mounting it on and by what method subframe 3PTH or brackets?
Craig Clayton

/ Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe
What model of tractor are you planning on mounting it on and by what method subframe 3PTH or brackets?
Craig Clayton

The backhoe would be mounted to a Kubota B7610 (sorry), it weighs about 1400lbs. The hoe currently is a 3PTH mount but I would build a custom subframe mount for it.

Here is a post that I made and this is the link you may read all the way down as not all the posters agreed.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/192251-will-backhoe-off-bx24-fit.html
I can talk more if you are interested.
Craig Clayton

Sure I am interested, but I agree with you that its not that complicated or expensive to make a custom subframe, and I have no problems putting a MF on a Kubota, if they both work well and the price is right, why not.

/ Looking at a MF 1017 backhoe #7  
I have a MF1250 with the 1217 backhoe. If I recall correctly it weighs around 800 pounds. Mine is used only occasionally and does what I need to do. I must say I have operated a Kubota 123 excacator which is a beast compared to the 1217. However, it is what it is.

Likes: It is relatively easy to install. Has ample power for a small tractor. The controls are easy to operate.

Dislikes: Had to replace broken pin. Cylinder piston is pitting (bought used so it may have been left outside). Had to fabricate two broken brackets on the joysticks. Teeth on the bucket are clamp on or pinch on so I welded new teeth on. Bolts that keep the boom pins from rotating keep breaking off.

Do I think it is the best hoe? NO Do I think it is good enough? Yes.

Hope this helps.

Well my quest to find information on a MF 1017 has not been very fruitful. Not even Massey Ferguson dealers know much about 1017s. Apparently they were manufactured in the mid 80s by an OEM manufacturer I think the dealer said in Cincinnati.

After some more digging (no pun intended) I think I have figured out that the MF 1017, Woods BH750, Kubota L4530B are basically the same backhoe. I found a Woods 750 manual online so I am going from that.

I was able to see the hoe and ran it on a IH 225, quite a bit bigger tractor that my B7610. The hoe seems to run ok, there are a couple of hoses that need to be replaced and some of the pins look pretty dry and will probably need to be replaced. There is some surface rust but nothing that cannot be fixed with a fresh paint job.

Does anyone have any opinion on the info above? The person selling the MF1017 wants $2500 for it, does that seem like a reasonable price? The dealer said these hoes probably sold for $3K new.

Last edited: