A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson?

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #11  
If you are all about saving money on the initial purchase then go with the Kubota. If you want the better tractor go with the Massy. If you look at both of them side by side you will see the difference. I paid more for the Massy over the Kubota but I got more tractor with the Massy.

I havent heard of any place that is the place to beat for Massy's though. Your biggest difference in price is going to be because of the financing. Massy will not give much of a price break if it is financed, Kubota will.

I'm curious about this statement. I'm considering a gc2400 versus a bx2260, and the loader on the bx is rated at a higher capacity. The GC2400 is a little bigger (2" longer and wider) and 44 pounds heavier. Otherwise their specs are very similar. Since I have no experience with either I'd be grateful for some elaboration on that.

Joe

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #12  
I'm curious about this statement. I'm considering a gc2400 versus a bx2260, and the loader on the bx is rated at a higher capacity. The GC2400 is a little bigger (2" longer and wider) and 44 pounds heavier. Otherwise their specs are very similar. Since I have no experience with either I'd be grateful for some elaboration on that.

Joe

The original question was refering to TLB models and if you look at the spec sheets the Massy's (either the 2410 or 2610) weigh in at 2,670lbs vs. the BX at 1,542lbs. That's quite a bit of difference and it is very noticible in the backhoe construction. Now if you look at just the tractors side by side (not on paper) in my opnion the massy just looks more stout. When I was shopping I was looking for a TLB so I compared the BX 25 and 25, GC2410 and 2610, and the JD2305. I'll see if I can find my observations of the three that I had posted.

Here's the post I made.
The first was the BX (looked at the 25 and a holdover 24). It seemed ok but not what I had built it up to be in my mind. The tach is useless unless you put your face through the steering wheel. Also the rpm's had to be well over half throttle to work the FEL. The ride was decent and it turned on a dime. It did the typical Kubota pop a wheeley when stopping in reverse (high gear). 3pt arms are an option that has to be ordered with the tractor (some dealers will automatically do that though).

The next was the Massey GC2410. As soon as I saw it the BX whatever was completely out of the picture. IMHO just no comparison. The Massey looks and feels bigger. The tractor can lift itself off the ground at idle speed and at full rpm the FEL and BH are nice and quick. The FEL is quick disconnect as is the BH. A nice feature with the BH is that you don't have to remove the 3pt arms when it is installed. They fold up out of the way. The BH is also way more stout than the BX. For me the steering wheel was a bit low (I'm 6'1") and the pedels seemed a bit too high. The speed was faster than the BX but it did not seem to turm as tight but it wasn't bad either.

The last was the JD2305. It was comparable to the Massey. Slightly more comfortable steering wheel and pedel wise. Hydro was noiser than the other two. Also it needed to be above idle in the rpm range to move the FEL but not as high as the BX. I also liked the quick disconnect bucket on the FEL. I did not get a chance to look at one with a BH but I read a review on here that it was not up to par with the Massey construction wise. Another thing that bothered me was the tranny filter was very exposed and the same for the BX. The Massey was the only one with a guard for the filter. Hydraulic lines also hung down and were exposed. The 3pt hitch is a limided category 1.

My new Massey arrives Thursday. It was a little more than the BX or the JD but I also beleive it is more tractor. It was smooth and powerful. Nice insturments, standard quick connet FEL and BH. Hopefully it will work out for me. My advice is try them all out. Since it was winter I was able to push around snow in the parking lots of the dealers which really gives you a feel of using the hydro trans and the FEL controls.

Edit: I wanted to add that the Massey was a little more based on the financing option i took. Comparing cash prices the Massey was the cheapest.

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #13  
The original question was refering to TLB models and if you look at the spec sheets the Massy's (either the 2410 or 2610) weigh in at 2,670lbs vs. the BX at 1,542lbs. That's quite a bit of difference and it is very noticible in the backhoe construction. Now if you look at just the tractors side by side (not on paper) in my opnion the massy just looks more stout. When I was shopping I was looking for a TLB so I compared the BX 25 and 25, GC2410 and 2610, and the JD2305. I'll see if I can find my observations of the three that I had posted.

Here's the post I made.
The first was the BX (looked at the 25 and a holdover 24). It seemed ok but not what I had built it up to be in my mind. The tach is useless unless you put your face through the steering wheel. Also the rpm's had to be well over half throttle to work the FEL. The ride was decent and it turned on a dime. It did the typical Kubota pop a wheeley when stopping in reverse (high gear). 3pt arms are an option that has to be ordered with the tractor (some dealers will automatically do that though).

The next was the Massey GC2410. As soon as I saw it the BX whatever was completely out of the picture. IMHO just no comparison. The Massey looks and feels bigger. The tractor can lift itself off the ground at idle speed and at full rpm the FEL and BH are nice and quick. The FEL is quick disconnect as is the BH. A nice feature with the BH is that you don't have to remove the 3pt arms when it is installed. They fold up out of the way. The BH is also way more stout than the BX. For me the steering wheel was a bit low (I'm 6'1") and the pedels seemed a bit too high. The speed was faster than the BX but it did not seem to turm as tight but it wasn't bad either.

The last was the JD2305. It was comparable to the Massey. Slightly more comfortable steering wheel and pedel wise. Hydro was noiser than the other two. Also it needed to be above idle in the rpm range to move the FEL but not as high as the BX. I also liked the quick disconnect bucket on the FEL. I did not get a chance to look at one with a BH but I read a review on here that it was not up to par with the Massey construction wise. Another thing that bothered me was the tranny filter was very exposed and the same for the BX. The Massey was the only one with a guard for the filter. Hydraulic lines also hung down and were exposed. The 3pt hitch is a limided category 1.

My new Massey arrives Thursday. It was a little more than the BX or the JD but I also beleive it is more tractor. It was smooth and powerful. Nice insturments, standard quick connet FEL and BH. Hopefully it will work out for me. My advice is try them all out. Since it was winter I was able to push around snow in the parking lots of the dealers which really gives you a feel of using the hydro trans and the FEL controls.

Edit: I wanted to add that the Massey was a little more based on the financing option i took. Comparing cash prices the Massey was the cheapest.
Nice write-up.

Mine was a tad different.

I walked from the JD because of the 'aluminum tranny' . Aluminum tranny's are for 'lawn mowers' and not for anything designated as a tractor(in my opinion).

I didn't like the 'pedal arrangement' on the BX series. The brake on the opposite side.............has done exactly what I thought it would do..............it enables the operator to hook up implements, without the 'drift' one will encounter with the brake on the same side as the travel pedals.

And third..............my wife's favorite color is RED..............:):)

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #14  

Here's the post I made.

Thanks for that reply, it's very helpful.

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #15  
Try hoobers in middletown , de they might deliver free and no tax . good luck :thumbsup:

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #16  
Try hoobers in middletown , de they might deliver free and no tax . good luck :thumbsup:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hoober's was a Kubota dealer and not a Massey dealer.

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #17  
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought Hoober's was a Kubota dealer and not a Massey dealer.

you are correct sorry about that :confused2:

/ A "Barlow's" for Massey Ferguson? #18  
The MF scuts are nice tractors but I have to correct one wrong fact on the BX25 weight. The quoted weight of 1,520 lbs is for the bare tractor. The loader and BH add another 1,000 lbs+ and makes it comparable in weight to the GC TLBs.